News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Michigan Highways to Increase Speed Limit in Future

Started by _Demote, July 23, 2017, 12:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurricane Rex

I love what Michigan is doing with their speed limits but does anyone know if more are going up soon other than those announced in the summer?
Quote from: Brandon on November 30, 2017, 05:26:23 AM
Quote from: Bickendan on November 30, 2017, 03:42:08 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on November 28, 2017, 08:39:03 PM
I just know doing 80 mph you make 1 mile every 45 seconds.
Shouldn't that be 90 mph, not 80?

No.  60 is 3/4s of 80.  Hence, whatever the mileage is, you multiply by 3 and divide by 4 to get your time in minutes at 80 mph.
And 60 is 2/3 of 90. Same logic applies.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Flint1979

I drove on US 10 all the way from Bay City to M-66 and back last night. It's 75 mph for the entire freeway stretch then drops down to 55 mph once the freeway stretch ends on the west end just after M-115.

JREwing78

So, I finally spent some quality time on many of the 2-lanes in Michigan posted for 65 mph, including M-65, US-23 north of Alpena, M-123, and US-2. A few thoughts:

- I'm surprised how much more relaxing the trip is with the new limits. There's less variation in speeds now, which means fewer people trying to make questionable passing decisions.

- For the most part, it appears they simply replaced the 55 mph sections with 65 mph sections, with no new intermediary sections gradually bringing drivers down or up to 65. The one exception I encountered was east of Rapid River, which was inexplicably posted for 60 mph.

- It's not obvious what drove the decision making of what made the cut, and what didn't. M-123 north of M-28 seems awful narrow and littered with driveways to merit a posted 65 mph. Meanwhile, M-26 south of Houghton, US-141, and US-41 between Chassel and Ishpeming certainly seem worth the upgraded limits.

- Also surprising, no sense of urgency to upgrade additional sections of highway to 65 mph. We haven't heard a peep out of MDOT about any studies or surveys to establish whether they wish to leave the existing sections in place, remove them, or expand them.

ftballfan

Here are some roads that I'm surprised aren't 65:
M-52 from I-96 to the southern M-36 junction
M-37 from Newaygo to Baldwin (outside of White Cloud and Brohman)
M-20 from US-31 to US-131 (outside of Hesperia and White Cloud)
M-55 from Lake City to Houghton Lake and from M-157 to I-75
US-131 from the northern end of the freeway to Kalkaska

bulldog1979

If I'm not mistaken, the law that allowed MDOT and MSP to increase speed limits also set an upper cap at the number of miles that could be increased. There are probably many candidates that would have been bumped, but to do so would have exceeded the allowable mileage.

SSOWorld

Quote from: bulldog1979 on October 28, 2018, 02:30:17 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the law that allowed MDOT and MSP to increase speed limits also set an upper cap at the number of miles that could be increased. There are probably many candidates that would have been bumped, but to do so would have exceeded the allowable mileage.
Technicalities 🤬

What is the benefit that governments see from setting such caps?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

bulldog1979

Quote from: SSOWorld on October 28, 2018, 03:53:55 PM
Quote from: bulldog1979 on October 28, 2018, 02:30:17 PM
Technicalities 🤬

What is the benefit that governments see from setting such caps?

Perhaps it got a few hesitant legislators on board, and if they made the difference in the voting margin, then it was a matter of passing the law or not.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.