News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Eliminatation of Truck I-278 in Queens

Started by dgolub, December 16, 2017, 09:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgolub

Work is currently in progress to lower the roadway so that trucks can fit under the overpasses on I-278 in Queens, eliminating the need for the truck route.

http://qns.com/story/2017/12/15/trucks-will-permitted-grand-central-parkway-astoria-ending-soul-piercing-noise-local-streets/

The Ghostbuster

This should have been done decades ago. What took them so long? Community opposition? Not enough funding?

froggie

Still not Interstate standard (which is something like 16 or 17ft these days), but nonetheless an improvement over 12.5ft.

JREwing78

Only $2.5 million, and it took them this long to enact a fix? That's insane!

vdeane

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 18, 2017, 03:09:32 PM
This should have been done decades ago. What took them so long? Community opposition? Not enough funding?
That's a good question.  I always assumed that it would require more substantial work, but apparently not.  A comment on Facebook speculated that it's being done now because of gentrification in the area.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mergingtraffic

I'm still amazed at the crap that passes for NYC expressway quality.  It seems there could be plenty of "cheap" fixes that go a long way in the city.  I can think of quite a few ramps that could be extended to provide merge time that they just never did. 
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

SteveG1988

Quote from: vdeane on December 18, 2017, 08:34:24 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 18, 2017, 03:09:32 PM
That's a good question.  I always assumed that it would require more substantial work, but apparently not.  A comment on Facebook speculated that it's being done now because of gentrification in the area.

Could also be due to technology allowing them to do more stuff without totally rebuilding the road. Micromilling was mentioned.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.