News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2018 Winter Olympics

Started by Buck87, February 05, 2018, 02:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 7/8 on February 20, 2018, 05:03:54 PM
Here's a funny Olympic story of an athlete who participated in the Women's Halfpipe:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/olympics/2018/02/20/how-an-american-skier-competed-for-hungary-at-the-olympics-despite-not-being-very-good.html

She went to enough events and consistently finished in the top 30 to gain sufficient points to reach the Olympics, despite never doing any tricks (just doing small hops on each side of the halfpipe) :-D

Thanks for posting that...I caught a teaser for this story somewhere but never got to hear about it.

It's kinda like some people I know: They put a lot of effort into not trying, whereas they could put about the same amount of effort into something and succeeding.  I have coworkers that'll spend 30 minutes to avoid a 5 minute job.  She clearly put in a lot of energy, money and miles traveling the globe competing in events, and she spent a helluva lot of time looking these events up, determining what other events were going on elsewhere, and figuring out if she would 'qualify' by default.

It's great to say you were an Olympic athlete.  But do you really want people looking up your name and finding stories like this?

1995hoo

Bizarre Olympics for Canada. Men's curling lost the bronze medal game and men's hockey lost to Germany in the semifinals.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Buck87

Team Shuster gets it done! USA has a gold medal in curling!

This being called the "Micacurl on Ice"

CNGL-Leudimin

So it appears the great country of Olympic Athletes from Russia has won a gold medal. I still have to find their anthem...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

hotdogPi

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 24, 2018, 11:37:27 AM
So it appears the great country of Olympic Athletes from Russia has won a gold medal. I still have to find their anthem...

They probably don't have one yet. The country has only existed for a few weeks.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Buck87

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 24, 2018, 11:37:27 AM

it goes like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jro7dIoVcz4

bing101

Buck87

Here's a nice little highlight video of the USA's 9 Gold Medals in PyeongChang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN-eypMQ7Q0

MisterSG1

As for Canada, despite winning 29 medals, it's been kind of a disappointment.

They FAILED to win hockey gold or men and women's curling medals at all.

I should mention, that this is Hockey Canada's FOURTH time being screwed by the shootout. The way the IIHF has been very arrogant about the persistence of the shootout existing, I think it's time for Hockey Canada to withdraw from IIHF until they remove the shootout from hockey altogether.

This isn't sour grapes, I'm sure if the game saw a fifth period, that the US team still would have won, but it would have seen more fair. With a shootout, you may as well tell the captains of either team to pick a number between 1-10 to decide who wins.

Team Shuster won the gold, but what's amusing about this, is that even winning the gold, his team isn't considered one of the Top 12 in the world and thus as of now, WILL NOT participate at the Players' Championship held at Ryerson University in April (in the legendary Maple Leaf Gardens)

http://www.thegrandslamofcurling.com/curling/playerschampionship/

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: MisterSG1 on February 25, 2018, 08:06:14 PM

I should mention, that this is Hockey Canada's FOURTH time being screwed by the shootout. The way the IIHF has been very arrogant about the persistence of the shootout existing, I think it's time for Hockey Canada to withdraw from IIHF until they remove the shootout from hockey altogether.

This isn't sour grapes, I'm sure if the game saw a fifth period, that the US team still would have won, but it would have seen more fair. With a shootout, you may as well tell the captains of either team to pick a number between 1-10 to decide who wins.

Team Shuster won the gold, but what's amusing about this, is that even winning the gold, his team isn't considered one of the Top 12 in the world and thus as of now, WILL NOT participate at the Players' Championship held at Ryerson University in April (in the legendary Maple Leaf Gardens)

IMO it should be sudden death until a team scores. Elimination round/medal games only. I think all of us can agree they were evenly matched.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

bing101

Alps

He's in the Humpty's Champions Cup, whatever that is. Hey, you don't just qualify by winning one event, you need a solid body of work. If Shuster can keep playing at his 2nd-half-of-Olympics level, he'll have plenty of opportunities next year.
Also, I'm sorry that your grapes went sour. Try refrigeration next time.

english si

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on February 26, 2018, 02:45:14 AMIMO it should be sudden death until a team scores.
It should be noted that soccer introduced this ('Golden Goal'), tweaked it ('Silver Goal') and then returned to plain 2 short halves of overtime and the team with the most goals at the end of it wins.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on February 26, 2018, 02:45:14 AM

IMO it should be sudden death until a team scores. Elimination round/medal games only. I think all of us can agree they were evenly matched.

Just remember that this event doesn't exist in a vacuum.  The venue may be scheduled for another event later the same day, and many of those in attendance may have tickets for other events later in the day.  Allowing the game to go on indefinitely, while perhaps the most fair, is not really practical in an Olympics.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.