News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Uber halts self-driving tests after pedestrian killed in Arizona

Started by tradephoric, March 19, 2018, 01:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on May 30, 2018, 05:40:20 PM
Doesn't matter.  You strike a pedestrian, it's bad news for you.
Bad news can mean $$$ (Uber will survive that) or a random scapegoat serving the term.
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on May 30, 2018, 06:28:58 PM
Shocker...an AARoads discussion of a pedestrian accident devolves to victim blaming
Because victim is always purely innocent... but Charlie knows better!

slorydn1

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on May 30, 2018, 06:28:58 PM
Shocker...an AARoads discussion of a pedestrian accident devolves to victim blaming

This is where we will disagree. I really don't see a "victim" here in the true sense of the word. We do have a tragic death in which there were 3 parties involved with blame to go all around-driver, software designer and the lady who was struck while jaywalking. She was in the best position to avoid this whole mess to start with yet she chose to walk out in front of an oncoming, well lit vehicle. She was equipped with the best, most advanced sensor system with over a million years of development: her eyes.

Look, I get it. I understand that you as a pedestrian have had more than your fair share of scrapes with cars while legally crossing the road in crosswalks. If this had been in the crosswalk, I'd be in the "hang 'em high" crowd too. But she was crossing the road 360 feet from where a reasonable driver would have been looking for a pedestrian to cross, had they been paying attention. This driver was not, because the software was supposed to be doing the driving, and it was programmed to not stop for the sudden obstruction. But I can truthfully say that I am a pretty attentive driver, with vision corrected to 20/20, who drives  a car that has the latest  in HID headlight technology, as well as grill mounted LED fog lights that are always on, and I am not 100 pct sure that I would have seen her in enough time to process the need to stop (based on that crappy video anyway).
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.