News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Stereotypes in your area

Started by webny99, May 06, 2018, 04:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

What are some known "stereotypes" or common conceptions that people in your area have about other areas?

For example, "Pittsford is full of snobs", "East Rochester is a dump", "315 area code = redneck" and so forth. You can be honest, but please nothing racially or politically charged.

Here in Rochester we have the East side vs West side stand-off, which is more percieved than reality. West side folks think we're hoity-toity snobs, and we think they're poor farmers and rednecks. Of course, it's not the case, but there are fundamentals to blame for the misconception  :)

Max Rockatansky

Ithe Cental Valley of California the stereotype is that everyone is a farmer which thinks building more dams up heavily controlled rivers in the Sierras will somehow create more water for irrigation.

CNGL-Leudimin

So many stereotypes concerning Spain:
We sleep in the afternoon (the so-called siesta) (This is debunked by the many times I've been online around 9:00 a.m. Central, i.e. 4:00 p.m. Central Europe, when is the supposed siesta time)
We like bullfighting (I don't like it, especially the part where they kill the bulls, and there's an increasing opposition)
We dance flamenco (That's a Southern thing, my area doesn't have that)
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

TheHighwayMan3561

Locally, the MSP suburb of Edina's residents are referred to (both endearingly and pejoratively) as "cake eaters" due to historic perceptions of the city's wealthy demographics, although there's probably more overall wealth in the suburbs closer to Lake Minnetonka these days.

northern inner suburbs of Minneapolis- dumps
Maplewood - "Mapleweird"

West Duluth - dump
Downtown Duluth - annoying students/hippies
Canal Park (which is not downtown) - tourist hell
East Duluth - rich assholes
Superior - sketchy
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Takumi

Richmond - Brooklyn with confederate statues
Petersburg - dump
Colonial Heights - Colonial Whites (was a white flight town back in the day)
Everywhere else locally - boring suburbs
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

corco

Boise (especially the north/east ends) - hippies
Eagle - rich conservative Californians
Meridian - Mormons
Nampa/Caldwell - the hood. A good rule of thumb is that if you see a car with a 2C (Canyon County) license plate, leave a wide berth

US71

Arkansas has a reputation for being redneck/backwater. Admittedly, there are some areas that come across that way but there are also good people (tm)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bing101

San Francisco area "Techies are snobs who caused income inequality"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_Hill_Road
Sand Hill Road specifically has been accused of causing the Bay Area to escalate income inequality.

Sacramento area "Politicians and Lobbyists are screwing downtown"

cl94

Quote from: US71 on May 06, 2018, 07:05:56 PM
Arkansas has a reputation for being redneck/backwater. Admittedly, there are some areas that come across that way but there are also good people (tm)

You mean Madison County isn't really backwater?  :-D
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

KEVIN_224

MOST of Fairfield County, Connecticut is rich and snobby white people. People outside of the state fail to realize that Bridgeport, the state's largest city, is in Fairfield County. Big cities such as Stamford, Norwalk and Danbury are also in the county, but aren't quite as bad as a whole like Bridgeport.

There were times in the past when people heard Connecticut and thought the ENTIRE state was super rich. I can attest while New Britain does have a couple decent areas, most of the city of roughly 72,000 gets called "Hard Hittin'" for a reason. I don't mean with a Stanley brand hammer either. :(

roadman65

In Florida many call the latest Spanish Invasion "Takeover People."  I cannot tell you how much it disturbs me to run into someone who I knew 20 years ago, who says " Oh I had to leave as too many Spanish are invading our area turning this country into their own by not wanting to learn our language and also taking away jobs!" 

To me they are the one's that should be stereotypes as they are the one's to fuel the fire by moving out! Anyway, not to change this into the great political and culture debate so I will just leave it at that.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

Quote from: cl94 on May 06, 2018, 07:20:55 PM

You mean Madison County isn't really backwater?  :-D

Well, they DO have a traffic signal now ;)

hbelkins

I gather you are referring to stereotypes people in our area have about other areas and the people who inhabit them.

Lexington -- elitists who look down on the rest of the state and overlook the fact that people from eastern Kentucky keep Lexington's economy going.

Louisville-- out-of-touch liberals who don't understand why the rest of the state hates them because they don't share our values.

Ohio -- people who can't go hiking without falling off cliffs, and left-lane hogs.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

webny99

Arkansas has a reputation for being redneck/backwater.

I think every state has their redneck areas. Up here, Orleans County is about as backwater as it gets. But if I had to pick the top three states overall, yeah, it would probably be Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas  :-P

Quote from: hbelkins on May 06, 2018, 10:03:17 PM
I gather you are referring to stereotypes people in our area have about other areas and the people who inhabit them.

Basically, yes. The more localized the better, although comparing perceptions of different states and regions can be interesting as well.

QuoteOhio -- people who can't go hiking without falling off cliffs

Is there a specific story or incident behind this?  :hmmm:

Hot Rod Hootenanny

You want stereotypes?! I got your stereotypes right here!
http://judgmentalmaps.com/

And many more...
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Takumi

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 06, 2018, 10:45:14 PM
You want stereotypes?! I got your stereotypes right here!
http://judgmentalmaps.com/

And many more...
That's where I got the "Brooklyn with confederate statues"  phrase from! :-D
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

bugo

Madison County is more hippie than redneck.

Beltway

Quote from: Takumi on May 06, 2018, 05:57:02 PM
Richmond - Brooklyn with confederate statues
Petersburg - dump
Colonial Heights - Colonial Whites (was a white flight town back in the day)
Everywhere else locally - boring suburbs

OLD stereotypes.   The civil war is a rare topic among Richmonders, Colonial Heights has diversified a lot over the last 30 years and plenty of African-Americans live there today,  Petersburg still has a ways to go but there has been much improvement (new library, hospital, bus transportation center, golf course, many loft apartments built in old industrial buildings).
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

US 89

I can’t get it to display in the forum, but here’s one for Salt Lake County, UT: http://judgmentalmaps.com/image/167952385990

Henry

Chicago has at least two of them:

North Side--Rich white people, luxury apartments and condominiums
South and West Sides--Poor black people, where the slums are

In Los Angeles:

Hollywood, Beverly Hills and northern suburbs (including Pasadena)--Wealthy white well-to-do residents
South Central and surrounding suburbs like Compton, Inglewood and Long Beach--Poorer black residents, most of who become gangsters
Elsewhere--All Mexicans, Latinas and Asians

Quote from: bing101 on May 06, 2018, 07:08:53 PM
San Francisco area "Techies are snobs who caused income inequality"
Also applies to Seattle, where Microsoft, Nintendo and Boeing are headquartered.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

abefroman329

Quote from: Henry on May 07, 2018, 09:49:05 AM
Chicago has at least two of them:

North Side--Rich white people, luxury apartments and condominiums
South and West Sides--Poor black people, where the slums are

Also on the North Side, hipsters who do stupid shit like refuse to sell iced coffee at coffee shops.

Also, North Side = effete, South Side = hale and hearty.

hotdogPi

New Hampshire – Live free or die:

Certain things are legal in New Hampshire that aren't in Massachusetts, such as alcohol in grocery stores and fireworks. There are also fewer restrictions on guns, and there seem to be more adult stores and cigarette shops just across the border. Also, "free" as in no sales tax, which is the main reason that people in Massachusetts go to New Hampshire to shop.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

SP Cook

West Virginia:

Charleston.  Metronym for screwed up state government.  Ungrateful lawyers, accountants, and other white collars who make their living off coal, yet hate coal. 

Charleston neighborhoods:

South Hills.  Elitist rich limousine liberals. 
Kanawha City.  Pi**ed off white retirees and near retirees.
The Flats.  Rat hole apartment living thrice divorced men, gays, and newlyweds, all working at the capitol. 
Elk City.  Hipsters. 
East Side, East End, West Side, and North Hills.  Welfareland. 
North Charleston.  Black people that work for a living. 

Other Kanawha and Putnam County places:
South Charleston.  Slightly richer version of Kanawha City.
Dunbar.  Slightly poorer version of Kanawha City.
Anyplace south of Charleston.  Redneck coal miners.
Anyplace north of Charleston.  Farm country.
St. Albans.  White people that work for a living.
Anyplace west of Charleston (Cross Lanes, Nitro, Teays Valley).  Suburbia.  Half long terms that moved to Putnam to escape Kanawha schools, half newcomers who are already figuring how to get Dow to transfer them to Houston.

Huntington.  "Little Detroit".  Drug addled life welfarists.

Huntington neighborhoods. 

Park Hills and Beverly Hills.  Rich White Landlords of Huntington.
West Huntington.  Unemployed white people.
Fairfield and Northcott.  Little Detroit, drug addled criminals. 
Highlawn.  Huntington's Kanawha City. 
Guyandotte.  Where poor white people live. 
Downtown.  Hipsters.
University City.  College kids increasingly living in what is becoming a gated campus. 

Other place in Cabell and Wayne counties and nearby OH and KY.

Barboursville.  Rich white suburbs.
Chesapeake OH.  Where all the racists moved to avoid sending their kids to Huntington High.
Fairland OH.  Where all the pointy headed Marshall college professors live, far left.
Anywhere else in nearby Ohio.  People that grow dope.
Ceredo-Kenova.  White people that work for a living.
Ashland KY.  Little Houston.
"Out Wayne".  Meaning the town of Wayne and environs.  Hick talking rednecks.
"Way Out Wayne".  Meaning past that.  Hick talking rednecks that will kill you. 

Rest of WV:

Southwest coalfields.  Bunch of ex coal miners, mostly now retirees, that won't leave.  Poverty by choice.  Necks. 
Southeast.  Retired Charleston hippies who grow their own dope.
Parkersburg.  Snooty people with no real reason to be.
Central WV and Potomac highlands.  Lumberjacks.
Clarksburg and Fairmont.  Slick politicians and poverty.
Morgantown.  Bunch of drunken northerners turned down by their own state's colleges having a non stop drunken quasi riot. 
Wheeling, et al.   Like Pittsburgh, only more so.  Bombed out. 
Eastern Panhandle.  DC suburbs.  Nobody there has ever been anywhere else in the state, nor would want to.

Nearby KY and OH.

KY Coalfields.  Yet thicker hill accents, but otherwise just like SW WV. 
Athens, OH.  Like Morgantown, except it is kids from northern and western Ohio doing the drinking.
Rest of SE Ohio.  Pot growers.

roadman65

Florida, especially after Dick Scott took office in Tallahassee, is known as the state that that is "Open For Business" as Welcome To Florida signs emphasize that clearly.

It seems to be the state that thinks agricultural land is a place for economic growth and therefore to many its just a place that cannot get enough development despite in reality its too much development already and has been for decades.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

Quote from: bugo on May 06, 2018, 11:17:29 PM
Madison County is more hippie than redneck.

Not as much as Carroll County ;)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.