News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why are signs so EXPENSIVE?!?!?!

Started by MCRoads, May 08, 2018, 12:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCRoads

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 08, 2018, 03:21:47 PM
They're expensive things to produce, from the materials themselves, to the research involved, to the labor of actually constructing it. It's more complex than it seems on the surface.

By the looks of this thread, I get the impression that you're looking to buy some signs. If you are, I'd personally suggest Road Traffic Signs. Their prices are decently low and the signs themselves are really high quality. I won't lie, I've bought a few just to... have around. :awesomeface:

I usually purchase the smaller sizes where possible to keep costs down.

Thanks, but I do want 30x30, as it will be a show-off item, and I want it to be close to actual size. I don’t want a tiny sign, but I don’t want a BGS... (go to the DOT and ask to see a BGS, it’s too big to describe....)  two and a half foot square seems big, but not too big.

Alas, to the point... Rice Signs is cheaper for what I want.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Scott5114

Or wait for one to come down through other means...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MCRoads

Lol, no thanks... where could that even fit in an avarage house?

Although, an exit tab may be manageable.... but I’m not going to steal it!
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

roadman

Quote from: MCRoads on May 09, 2018, 09:20:16 AM

Although, an exit tab may be manageable.... but I'm not going to steal it!
Reminds me of when I got involved in a joint Massport/MassDPW project in the late 1980s to improve the signs on US 1 south in Chelsea approaching the Tobin Bridge.  Project included replacing one of the overhead signs at Carter Street.  A couple of days before the new signs were installed, the project manager had me come with him to the fabricator's shop (L&C Flashing Barricades, not RoadSafe Traffic Systems) to inspect them.  As I walked in and saw the new sign fully laid out on sawhorses, my immediate reaction was "Wow!  This sign's as big as my parent's den."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

DaBigE

If you know someone who's handy, you could turn it into a garage door.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

roadman

Quote from: DaBigE on May 09, 2018, 09:59:36 AM

If you know someone who's handy, you could turn it into a garage door.

Sounds like a job for Red Green.  "First you need a large road sign.  You could go out and buy one, or you can get one that's sitting by the side of the road some dark night."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Ingsoc75

I would like to have a Montana Reasonable and Prudent speed limit sign made to put in my garage but I'm sure it would cost a lot.
Check out my Speed Limit Sign Gallery.

renegade

Quote from: hbelkins on May 08, 2018, 10:21:49 AM
Several years ago, Kentucky experimented with using some sort of non-metallic material for its signs. I suspect it was fiberglass. That idea was abandoned; I'm not sure why.

Do any states still use wooden signs? I know Arizona was as late as the early 90s.
Michigan still uses wooden signs in the northern part of the state.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Scott5114

Quote from: Ingsoc75 on May 10, 2018, 06:43:43 PM
I would like to have a Montana Reasonable and Prudent speed limit sign made to put in my garage but I'm sure it would cost a lot.

Ask Jake Bear for a quote.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ErmineNotyours

When I went through British Columbia in 1986, I was surprised that most of the signs were wooden.  The wooden posts were neatly painted white and the backs were neatly painted green.  I was surprised again when I started seeing metal signs with metal legs, left bare on the back.  Now it's hard to find any wooden signs.  https://goo.gl/maps/3p31zCPyN462

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.