News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Business routes in California

Started by mrpablue, May 15, 2018, 10:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrpablue

I'm sorry if this thread already exists, or if this has been discussed in other threads.

To the point: are there any well-signed business routes in California (more than 1-2 shields)? I know many are signed at their termini, but what about on the route itself? What are some examples?

I think I-8B in El Centro and I-5B in Weed are well-signed, and I've seen signage for I-205B, US101B, and SR58B but only at the termini. And please don't mention I-80B in Sacramento.

Secondary question: do any California SR's have business routes other than SR58?

TheStranger

One example of a business route that is 1. both well-signed and 2. a state route business route: Business Route 99 in Bakersfield (the north half of which is concurrent with the entirety of Route 204), which includes a short freeway segment as well!

Business US 101 in Santa Maria is pretty decently signed, most of it being concurrent with Route 135.

Chris Sampang

oscar

There are a lot of SR business routes in California, including many following old alignments of CA 99. Signage quality is really uneven, since basically Caltrans only controls the BL signage from the mainlines. The business routes themselves usually are locally maintained (I-80BL Sacramento is the most notable exception, entirely state-maintained), and some of the localities stop caring about their signage once they've gotten over getting bypassed by new highways.

There are many US 101 business routes in California. Some are barely signed, and at least one (Ukiah) might be completely unsigned. Same goes for I-5.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

mrpablue

Should've known about SR99's many business routes. I've seen some myself.  :banghead:

Max Rockatansky

The CA 99 Business Route is very well signed on CA 204 and beyond:

204CAa by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Granted that's just the tip of the iceberg regarding 99.  Another well signed 99 business route near me is co-signed in Merced on parts of CA 59.

emory

SR 60 Business in Moreno Valley has some signs on the road, including an END shield at the eastern terminus.

US 395 Business in Ridgecrest is decently signed on the portion of the road concurrent with CA 178.

sparker

There are several I-5 business loops in the northern Sacramento Valley from Colusa north to Red Bluff along old US 99W, including some lateral connections to I-5.  Consistency of signage varies; Glenn County (Willows) seems to be the best at this.  In Colusa County, directly south of there, signage from Williams north to the Glenn county line through Maxwell used to be the longest continuous signed business route in CA; IIRC it was truncated in the '90's and much of the signage removed. 

TheStranger

Quote from: sparker on May 22, 2018, 05:04:56 AM
There are several I-5 business loops in the northern Sacramento Valley from Colusa north to Red Bluff along old US 99W, including some lateral connections to I-5.  Consistency of signage varies; Glenn County (Willows) seems to be the best at this.  In Colusa County, directly south of there, signage from Williams north to the Glenn county line through Maxwell used to be the longest continuous signed business route in CA; IIRC it was truncated in the '90's and much of the signage removed. 

IIRC isn't there also a Business I-5 in Woodland along former Route 16 that is poorly signed along Main Street? (Along with a segment on today's Route 16 following Road 98 northbound out of town) Both segments of this business route IIRC are part of former US 99W

Chris Sampang

bing101

NE2

Business 4 in Angels Camp is well signed.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Max Rockatansky

There are two for CA 41 near Fresno.  One exists south of the city through Easton on Elm Avenue while the one north of the city is just over the San Joaquin River:

41CABa by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

emory

I-15 Business in Barstow and I-40 Business in Needles, both of which run concurrent with County Route 66 in San Bernardino, are both well signed as is CR 66.

I-15 Business in Victorville has signs where it hooks from west to south but I'm not sure if there are any more.

sparker

Quote from: emory on May 24, 2018, 10:40:18 PM
I-15 Business in Barstow and I-40 Business in Needles, both of which run concurrent with County Route 66 in San Bernardino, are both well signed as is CR 66.

I-15 Business in Victorville has signs where it hooks from west to south but I'm not sure if there are any more.

The I-15 Victorville business loop was reasonably well-signed back in 2012; Historic US 66 signage accompanied much of the biz-loop shields (and along the D Street segment shared with CA 18 the historic signage dominated -- likely due to the presence of the US 66 museum near the 7th Street/D Street intersection, where the historic and business routes make a right-angle turn.   Preserving Route 66 history and artifact is something of a "big deal" in the high desert region.

emory

Quote from: sparker on May 26, 2018, 03:56:38 PM
Quote from: emory on May 24, 2018, 10:40:18 PM

The I-15 Victorville business loop was reasonably well-signed back in 2012; Historic US 66 signage accompanied much of the biz-loop shields (and along the D Street segment shared with CA 18 the historic signage dominated -- likely due to the presence of the US 66 museum near the 7th Street/D Street intersection, where the historic and business routes make a right-angle turn.   Preserving Route 66 history and artifact is something of a "big deal" in the high desert region.

It's often preferable where small towns will forego a designated business loop signing for a historic US route signing. I-10 Business in Indio is not signed, but there are plenty of Historic US 99 signs on the road. Some US 101 Business routes do the same, opting for Historic US 101 signs.

TheStranger

Quote from: emory on May 28, 2018, 08:50:27 PM

It's often preferable where small towns will forego a designated business loop signing for a historic US route signing. I-10 Business in Indio is not signed, but there are plenty of Historic US 99 signs on the road. Some US 101 Business routes do the same, opting for Historic US 101 signs.

IIRC this is how the business route of US 101 in Paso Robles is marked in the field, with a few Historic 101 signs. Been several years since I've driven through that town though
Chris Sampang

emory

Been looking on GIS and US 101 Business in Ventura is reasonably signed, although they could stand to be a bit more consistent, sometimes opting for trailblazer shields, both indicating direction and neither. It also doesn't do a good job of indicating when the route changes roads.

https://imgur.com/a/aH3goxS

djsekani

They've probably just been forgotten about, but there are multiple I-10 Business signs up on Holt Ave in Pomona.

emory

Quote from: djsekani on June 06, 2018, 01:30:51 AM
They've probably just been forgotten about, but there are multiple I-10 Business signs up on Holt Ave in Pomona.

Yeah they're everywhere, but pretty sure that route isn't official anymore. I don't even know where the western terminus would be considering Holt Ave doesn't connect back to I-10.

Also it appears I-10 Business in Indio has been decommissioned as well, even though maps still show it.

TheStranger

Quote from: emory on June 06, 2018, 01:45:38 AM
Quote from: djsekani on June 06, 2018, 01:30:51 AM

Yeah they're everywhere, but pretty sure that route isn't official anymore. I don't even know where the western terminus would be considering Holt Ave doesn't connect back to I-10.

Years ago, the former US 80 along El Cajon Boulevard in San Diego was Business I-8, though I think that route has long been deprecated.  I mention it since it only connected to I-8 on the east end (as the west end is the Cabrillo Freeway, where US 80 then continued southwards with pre-1969 US 395 into downtown).

Chris Sampang

emory

I-8 Business in Winterhaven—Yuma, which crosses the state line, is almost too well signed in Yuma, AZ. The shields have directions on them, and even the US 95 junction acknowledges it.

The Winterhaven portion according to GIS only has one sign on it, but the latest image is from 11 years ago. It doesn't even have street views for the interchanges that were built years ago.

I-8 Bus. in El Cajon just has them at the terminii, opting for Historic US 80 signs along the road.

emory

I was in El Centro for a couple days and I can safely say I-8 Business there is a very well signed road, albeit an odd one to exist considering it's laid out like a rectangle. The state and locally maintained portions carry a handful of Bus. 8 signs and I-8 acknowledges the exits as "ROUTE 8 BUSINESS" under the signs.

myosh_tino

Quote from: emory on June 15, 2018, 01:55:41 AM

That Business 8 shield looks like it was fabricated to the current Federal spec rather than Caltrans' spec for 2-digit Interstate shields.  The thinner border is a dead giveaway.  Here's what a Caltrans-spec shield looks like...

This makes me wonder... As I understand it, BL-8 is very well signed in Yuma so could it be possible that AZDOT fabricated that BL-8 shield and either gave it to Caltrans to install or installed it themselves?

Edit: Ummm... never mind... didn't read the part of emory's post where he said he was in El Centro... doh!  :banghead:
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.