News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Invert Left arrows

Started by Amtrakprod, May 24, 2018, 12:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amtrakprod

Here's my first one, I pretty sure they are very rare. This one is very close to my house, Ill get pictures of it soon. Heres the Google maps link: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3653654,-71.1840353,3a,15.1y,209.2h,98.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szobSldLbhu7HFy_YVu8BSg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Bitmapped

I've seen this done before. It's when an agency doesn't have an actual arrow and just tapes over a ball indication.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: Bitmapped on May 24, 2018, 01:13:18 PM
I've seen this done before. It's when an agency doesn't have an actual arrow and just tapes over a ball indication.

is it even legal???
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

lepidopteran

I've only seen 2 or 3 of these in the wild.  One such location was in Mt. Carmel, PA at West & Poplar, as a 2-section with a ball red and a right arrow on continuously.  But GSV indicates it was replaced with a conventional cutout arrow, and the most recent view has the signal removed altogether in favor of a STOP Except Right Turn sign.

Hmm, can you still embed with Flickr?
https://www.flickr.com/gp/63151554@N00/9D5jH1

Edit:

US 81

Quote from: Amtrakprod on May 24, 2018, 03:15:49 PM
Quote from: Bitmapped on May 24, 2018, 01:13:18 PM

is it even legal???

My guess is that it's variable by state/municipality laws. I'm no lawyer, but several years ago I was trying to understand whether or not an RTOR was legal if the signal was a right-facing arrow as opposed to a ball. Though I did not find an explicit answer, what I did find was (TX) code that stated an arrow should be considered the same indicator as a ball. Other discussions on this forum have had posters stating that other enforcement agencies make a distinction between the two.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

I could possibly see an agency try to justify this by the lit surface area being larger than a regular arrow aspect, but it's much harder to discern as an arrow indication. A simultaneous green arrow-red ball indication for an approach could be fatally misinterpreted by a straight-through driver (similar to an unlouvered dallas phasing).

kphoger

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on May 24, 2018, 04:37:07 PM
it's much harder to discern as an arrow indication.

Quoted because it deserves to be.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.