News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Nipigon River Bridge fails... again!

Started by Richard3, May 28, 2018, 01:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard3

Oops... it did it again!

https://www.trcctb.com/2018/05/25/nipigon-river-bridge-fails/

This time, according to this article, it looks like the expansion joint separated on the eastern side of the bridge.
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JREwing78

As they clarify later on, it's not a bridge flaw. It's the use of temporary expansion joints awaiting the final asphalt layer.

https://www.trcctb.com/2018/05/27/must-read-went-wrong-nipigon-river-bridge-times/

AsphaltPlanet

^ There was a lot of misinformation about this incident.  Even the CBC article incorrectly stated that the bridge was "closed" because of this.  It wasn't.  The westbound lanes were closed temporarily, but alternating flow was permitted on the eastbound lane of the bridge.  Given the time of day that the incident occurred, and the traffic volumes in the area in general, there probably wasn't even much of a travel delay caused by this work.

I'm driving up to Northwestern Ontario the week after this one for work.  I'm pretty eager to see the updated bridge.  It's been since 2015 that I was last in the area, so obviously a lot of work has transpired since that time.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.