Exits with no local exit destination

Started by webny99, June 06, 2018, 11:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slorydn1

Once upon a time (maybe up to 10 years ago) this sign here would have fit the the topic. They added the top sign "Tuscarora" when they did an overall sign refresh west of New Bern to prepare for the new NC-43 connector and US-17 Bypass exits.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

WillWeaverRVA

Virginia has a few of these floating around, mostly in rural areas - the signs generally list a route number (most of these are secondary routes, although there are a few primary ones) with no destination or street name.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

thefraze_1020

Quote from: jakeroot on June 07, 2018, 03:38:56 AM
Here's one with a street number, but without an exit number or destination. There's more than a few of these narrow BGSs in Western Washington, since most freeways lack exit numbers (minus the 5 and 405).

Keyword: "most"

And yet, exits on SR 14 in Vancouver and SR 16 in Tacoma are fully numbered. And also the first exit on SR 3 north of the junction with 16 at Gorst.

Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

jakeroot

Quote from: thefraze_1020 on June 14, 2018, 03:32:54 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on June 07, 2018, 03:38:56 AM
Here's one with a street number, but without an exit number or destination. There's more than a few of these narrow BGSs in Western Washington, since most freeways lack exit numbers (minus the 5 and 405).

Keyword: "most"

And yet, exits on SR 14 in Vancouver and SR 16 in Tacoma are fully numbered. And also the first exit on SR 3 north of the junction with 16 at Gorst.

Yeah, I don't really know what WSDOT is trying to do with exit numbers. They had a great opportunity to number 520 and 167 in their rebuilt sections, but still nothing.

dvferyance

While this might not be completely on topic there is an exit somewhere in North Carolina called the Haw River. Very odd using a river as a control city.

hotdogPi

Quote from: dvferyance on June 14, 2018, 05:23:16 PM
While this might not be completely on topic there is an exit somewhere in North Carolina called the Haw River. Very odd using a river as a control city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haw_River,_North_Carolina
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

roadman65

Quote from: dvferyance on June 14, 2018, 05:23:16 PM
NJ has a South River. :bigass:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: jemacedo9 on June 06, 2018, 09:25:32 PM
In PA, when reaching an area with multiple exits, there is usually a sign, showing the town name, and up to the three next exits, like (might not be exactly right):

Williamsport Exits
-----------------------
Maynard St   2 
Hepburn St   2 3/4
Market St     3 1/2

That sign repeats itself until all of the town exits have been passed.  The exits within that do not have a control city, unless it's a major road where the main control city is only in one direction; then the BGS for that exit will have the local street name for one line, and the other control city; like this in Williamsport:

US 15 SOUTH
Market St
Lewisburg
(with or without a line separating the street from the other city; I've seen both in PA)

I  kind of like this approach.
I-81 had it in Dunmore.  It was a cloverleaf with one direction for Blakely Street and the other for Throop.  Blakely Street mainly was saying that the SB direction was for Scranton (as Scranton has multiple exits where Throop has only one.

I think since US 6 was added to the nearby interchange the signs were changed though.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.