News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Signage for Option Lanes

Started by webny99, June 06, 2018, 12:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Inspired by some discussion here, what are your preferences for signing option lanes?
What are the various options (no pun intended)? What works well and what doesn't?

APL's seem to be increasing in popularity, but I still really like this variant. It will be interesting to see what NYSDOT chooses here: The right-center lane will be an option lane to NY 390 North when current construction is complete. New installs nearby, however, are probably an indication of the increasing prominence of the APL sign for option lanes in Upstate NY.

Your thoughts?

jakeroot

Everyone knows my opinion so I'm not going to repeat it. But I will say that Minnesota's implementation of down arrow option lane signage is my non-up arrow preference.

Mergingtraffic

Even APL signs can be confusing in certain situations...I think an individual/separate sign over each lane works best.

Such as:

EAST

EAST                         NORTH                 NORTH
  84                              72                        72

v                                  v                          v
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

US 89

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 06, 2018, 02:46:53 PM
Even APL signs can be confusing in certain situations...I think an individual/separate sign over each lane works best.

Such as:

EAST

If I saw that, I'd think the middle lane would take me to an 84/72 concurrency.

hotdogPi

Quote from: US 89 on June 06, 2018, 03:04:33 PM

Such as:

EAST

It is a concurrency, even though it only lasts about a mile. (I-84 and CT 72)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

webny99

Quote from: 1 on June 06, 2018, 03:14:58 PM

In which case, he'd think the middle lane would be an extension of the concurrency. I agree that an entire sign per lane is a bit much (some state basically do this with pavement markings, which is preferred to actual signs).

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: webny99 on June 06, 2018, 04:21:10 PM
Quote from: 1 on June 06, 2018, 03:14:58 PM

I think mostly roadgeeks would think of the concurrency..most average drivers would think "ok the middle lane can take me to I-84 West or 72 North"

In which case, he'd think the middle lane would be an extension of the concurrency. I agree that an entire sign per lane is a bit much (some state basically do this with pavement markings, which is preferred to actual signs).
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on June 06, 2018, 02:41:19 PM
But I will say that Minnesota's implementation of down arrow option lane signage is my non-up arrow preference.

I concur with this. I remember suggesting this in another thread several years ago...don't know how long Minnesota's been doing this.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: roadfro on June 07, 2018, 11:36:27 AM
But I will say that Minnesota's implementation of down arrow option lane signage is my non-up arrow preference.
I concur with this. I remember suggesting this in another thread several years ago...don't know how long Minnesota's been doing this.

As long as I can remember, and probably longer. ;-)

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on June 07, 2018, 11:36:27 AM

WSDOT, who is not the biggest fan of the APL (only one formal use on freeways -- uses them quite a bit on off-ramps and service roads), has apparently turned to the MNDOT style for the new SB I-5 Exit 164 sign (apologies for the dashcam quality). This is the first use of this style in Washington, as far as I know. It was just installed in the last month.

Not strictly relevant: this style of option lane signage does not allow for full-width exit tabs, so a normal tabbed sign had to be used. This is rare outside of SW WA.

MCRoads

I prefer the western adaptation of the signs (NM, CO, AZ, UT, etc.). They give a clear and understandable message. Colorado Springs, and surrounding areas, in particular, usually uses an APL at the 1-mile warning, then, at the gore, uses a NM style sign. Very intuitive, very concise.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

paulthemapguy

APL's lead to a lot of wasted space.  I prefer the down arrows.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

jakeroot

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 25, 2018, 06:09:58 PM

The problem is the federal guidelines. If the FHWA loosened up, they could be a very good sign. But they are a bit wasteful as is.

vdeane

Quote from: jakeroot on June 25, 2018, 07:26:07 PM

The problem is the federal guidelines. If the FHWA loosened up, they could be a very good sign. But they are a bit wasteful as is.
Pun intended?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on June 25, 2018, 08:19:02 PM
Pun intended?

I think what you're reading as the double-meaning is actually what he meant: APLs could be a very good type of sign if the federal guidelines were loosened.

EDIT: if you replace "they" (referring to the APL's) with "that" (referring to the loosening of guidelines), then it's a pun.

MCRoads

Quote from: webny99 on June 25, 2018, 08:46:08 PM

Pun intended?

I think what you're reading as the double-meaning is actually what he meant: APLs could be a very good type of sign if the federal guidelines were loosened.

Agreed. There was no pun, intended or not.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Revive 755

I kind of like the partial APL (example from Chicagoland) or the special overhead lane usage sign (former example on I-94 west of Milwaukee).

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 25, 2018, 08:58:53 PM
I kind of like the partial APL (example from Chicagoland) or the special overhead lane usage sign (former example on I-94 west of Milwaukee).

Partial APLs are okay. Just say no to whatever that damn thing in Milwaukee was, however.

jakeroot

Quote from: MCRoads on June 25, 2018, 08:49:47 PM
Quote from: webny99 on June 25, 2018, 08:46:08 PM

Pun intended?

Agreed. There was no pun, intended or not.

My grammar on this site has been iffy lately (thanks mostly to voice text). Apologies for the confusing language.

roadfro

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 25, 2018, 10:04:37 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on June 25, 2018, 08:58:53 PM

Partial APLs are okay. Just say no to whatever that damn thing in Milwaukee was, however.

If you're going to do a partial APL, then at least fulfill the spirit of them by displaying the shield of the through route...

That Milwaukee implementation though... Given the placement of the next exit's advance guide sign, it's unclear if the option lane continues through, or just through to the next exit. And messy design with big option APL arrow and a down arrow in the same location.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

AsphaltPlanet

I'm going to add another vote for the way MnDot handles it's option lane signage.  I think it's my favourite approach to signing them as well.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

US 89

This was the Utah standard until recently, and I think it's still the best way to sign an option lane:

In the past few years, UDOT has started using partial APLs, which aren't bad:

But what I really don't like is this:

It appears that there are two exit-only lanes, where in reality only the right lane is an exit-only lane and the left one is an option lane.

jakeroot

Quote from: US 89 on June 26, 2018, 03:57:41 PM
But what I really don't like is this:

It appears that there are two exit-only lanes, where in reality only the right lane is an exit-only lane and the left one is an option lane.

Unfortunately, this is the required signage for double-lane exits with an option lane (when the sign is past the gore point). Further proof that the FHWA has not yet nailed option lane signage. APLs (in their current incarnation) are wasteful, down arrows are often confusing or misleading, etc.

Tom958

Quote from: jakeroot on June 26, 2018, 04:38:23 PMUnfortunately, this is the required signage for double-lane exits with an option lane (when the sign is past the gore point). Further proof that the FHWA has not yet nailed option lane signage. APLs (in their current incarnation) are wasteful, down arrows are often confusing or misleading, etc.

I've mentioned this before: After several years of going all-in on 2009 MUTCD-compliant option lane signage, Georgia DOT has revolted. First, four recently-installed gore-point signs on I-75-85 downtown were modified to take them out of MUTCD compliance (though the upstream signs still comply, with one black-on-yellow arrow and a hidden option lane):

previous condition

Then, similar gore-point signage was installed on I-85 between I-285 and GA 316. Finally, the latest signs on 85 north of 316 go back to the pre-2009 practice of indicating the option lane with a white arrow, including well in advance of the gore:

Oddly, though, I haven't seen similar changes elsewhere in the state, so I dunno WTF.  :hmmm:

jakeroot

Quote from: Tom958 on June 26, 2018, 05:31:41 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on June 26, 2018, 04:38:23 PMUnfortunately, this is the required signage for double-lane exits with an option lane (when the sign is past the gore point). Further proof that the FHWA has not yet nailed option lane signage. APLs (in their current incarnation) are wasteful, down arrows are often confusing or misleading, etc.

I've mentioned this before: After several years of going all-in on 2009 MUTCD-compliant option lane signage, Georgia DOT has revolted. First, four recently-installed gore-point signs on I-75-85 downtown were modified to take them out of MUTCD compliance (though the upstream signs still comply, with one black-on-yellow arrow and a hidden option lane):

previous condition
https://i.imgur.com/29hYRkq.jpg

Actually, the before condition was not in compliance either. You can only sign an option lane as an exit only if the sign for the exit is past the gore point. What they put in place is also not compliant. The only real way to sign option lanes is APL or MNDOT. Or, no signage. WSDOT has been opting for no advanced option lane signage, lately. Only advanced warning of an 'exit only', with arrows on the pavement being the only indicator of an option lane.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.