News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

IHOB

Started by US71, June 08, 2018, 10:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

IHOP / International House of Pancakes has announced a pending name change to IHOB.  Rumor has it the B stands for burgers, as IHOP is planning to introduce several new burgers.

I'm thinking the name change is more a publicity gimmick than an actual change. 
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hotdogPi

IHOP's breakfast food is still much more prominent than everything else they have. It's one of the few restaurant chains that isn't busy at 6 PM on Saturday.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

oscar

If the burgers flop, IHOB could say the B stands for breakfast.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

spooky

It stands for botulism.

US71

Quote from: 1 on June 08, 2018, 10:30:52 AM
IHOP's breakfast food is still much more prominent than everything else they have. It's one of the few restaurant chains that isn't busy at 6 PM on Saturday.

I ate at my local IHOP a couple weeks ago: I wasn't impressed. Mediocre food, mediocre service.

jeffandnicole

What it sounds like, in today's world of the media and reporters wanting to be first on the story and not understanding the story, and a gullible public who could care less about facts, is that this was purely a fun tweet that IHOP sent.  There's absolutely nothing going on in regards to a name change, especially one that's supposedly going to happen a whole 3 days from now.

But, kudos to IHOP for creating a marketing frenzy for what it cost to send a tweet.

briantroutman

I suspect it's a short-lived publicity stunt for a chain in a segment that's been sputtering for decades (the "breakfast-plus-a-weak-lunch/dinner-menu"  restaurant–see also Denny's, Perkins, etc.).

The fall-off in business after the breakfast rush is through is something all of the above chains have struggled with seemingly forever. Even in this 1969 TV commercial–which may have been IHOP's first national advertisement–the company was already trying to address the issue: "It may say "˜Pancakes' outside, but there's a lot more inside" . Twenty years later, IHOP's commercials were still trying to make the same point. And again.

So if "B"  turns out to be burgers, burritos, or beef, it might be yet another attempt to get people to think of IHOP after breakfast time has ended.

Actually, I believe the company's announcement more specifically states that the logo is being turned "upside down" –so that IHOp becomes IHOb. So the "upside down"  element might be key–and perhaps the company will be launching some kind of new menu item...like upside down pancakes with butter and syrup baked onto the bottom.

But either way, the company has succeeded in one regard: People who never think about or talk about IHOP are now thinking and talking about it. Whether that translates into bodies in the booths and dollars in the till is another matter.

abefroman329

Quote from: oscar on June 08, 2018, 10:37:54 AM
If the burgers flop, IHOB could say the B stands for breakfast.

I just assumed that the B would turn out to be for Breakfast.

Mainly because I wouldn't dream of going there for a meal that wasn't breakfast.

MNHighwayMan

I once really had to poo while eating breakfast at an IHOP. I was almost taking the name literally making my way to the restroom.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: briantroutman on June 08, 2018, 11:10:54 AM
I suspect it’s a short-lived publicity stunt for a chain in a segment that’s been sputtering for decades (the “breakfast-plus-a-weak-lunch/dinner-menu” restaurant—see also Denny’s, Perkins, etc.).

Actual numbers show the exact opposite: Sales have increased over $700 MILLION in the past 9 years alone.

SectorZ

By 2025, I guarantee it will stand for bankruptcy.

SectorZ

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 08, 2018, 11:44:23 AM
Quote from: briantroutman on June 08, 2018, 11:10:54 AM
I suspect it's a short-lived publicity stunt for a chain in a segment that's been sputtering for decades (the "breakfast-plus-a-weak-lunch/dinner-menu"  restaurant–see also Denny's, Perkins, etc.).

Actual numbers show the exact opposite: Sales have increased over $700 MILLION in the past 9 years alone.

Applebee's will drag them down, hard. Also, that sales increase is only marginally above the rate of inflation ($2.6 to $3.3 billion for IHOP).

PHLBOS

Maybe they're getting beer licenses so IHOB could stand for International House of Beer:sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

abefroman329

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 08, 2018, 12:04:51 PM
Maybe they're getting beer licenses so IHOB could stand for International House of Beer:sombrero:

Kegs 'n' Eggs!

jwolfer

That's the problem when a restaurant has limitations in their name.. for the longest time I thought Cheesecake Factory only did desserts..

Z981

hotdogPi

Quote from: jwolfer on June 08, 2018, 12:42:22 PM
That's the problem when a restaurant has limitations in their name.. for the longest time I thought Cheesecake Factory only did desserts..

Z981

Waffle House doesn't serve pancakes. IHOP does serve waffles.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

abefroman329

Z981

Oh no, they also sell gargantuan portions of mediocre food.

US71

Quote from: 1 on June 08, 2018, 12:46:34 PM

Z981

Jimmy's Egg serves more than eggs, as does The Egg and I

texaskdog

Quote from: 1 on June 08, 2018, 10:30:52 AM

We used to have a Toastmaster club meet there in the meeting room.  They loved us because the rest of the place was always empty.

texaskdog

Quote from: US71 on June 08, 2018, 02:30:26 PM
Quote from: 1 on June 08, 2018, 12:46:34 PM

Z981

Jimmy's Egg serves more than eggs, as does The Egg and I

They also serve I!

jeffandnicole

My mom doesn't go to Chili's because (she claims) their food is too spicy.

abefroman329

Quote from: texaskdog on June 08, 2018, 02:35:39 PM
the meeting room
I could never figure out why my local IHOP in DC had one of those rooms.  I just figured it was intended to be the smoking section and DC banned smoking in restaurants after construction had begun.

US71

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 08, 2018, 02:53:23 PM
My mom doesn't go to Chili's because (she claims) their food is too spicy.

I find them to generally be rather bland

Rothman

IHOP is inconsistent.  The one on Wolf Road in Albany is the greasiest of greasy spoons -- absolutely disgusting.  The one in College Park, MD is cheap and at least edible.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MNHighwayMan

My irreverent half-joking aside, the one here on SE 14th St in Des Moines is actually pretty nice. The wait for one's order is very reasonable, even if it's busy, and the place looks clean. Of course, if I go there on a weekday morning (any time I've ever gone), I'm the second youngest non-employee there... :-D (The youngest is my sister, who really loves IHOP for some reason, and is the person who invites me there for breakfast.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.