News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

IHOB

Started by US71, June 08, 2018, 10:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Not an IHOP fan. I actually prefer Denny's, should I have to choose between the two.

Quote from: US71 on June 08, 2018, 10:34:55 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 08, 2018, 02:53:23 PM
My mom doesn't go to Chili's because (she claims) their food is too spicy.

I find them to generally be rather bland

I wouldn't mind forming an opinion, if there were one in Seattle. I honestly haven't been there enough to know whether I like it or not.

Scott5114

Witness the power of marketing–we all agree this is cheesy but we're still talking about it. Who talks about IHOP?

Quote from: briantroutman on June 08, 2018, 11:10:54 AM
Actually, I believe the company's announcement more specifically states that the logo is being turned "upside down" –so that IHOp becomes IHOb.

Wouldn't upside down IHOp be dOHI?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cjk374

I must be in the minority...I will order from IHOP's lunch/dinner menu before I order breakfast. Their beef tips are delicious.

Breakfast out is reserved for either Huddle- or Waffle House.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The "B" in IHOB could stand for another breakfast item: biscuits! There are all kinds of ways to smother, cover, & stuff biscuits...as long as the biscuits are actually made from scratch & taste flakey & fresh.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: cjk374 on June 09, 2018, 08:30:00 AM
I must be in the minority...I will order from IHOP's lunch/dinner menu before I order breakfast. Their beef tips are delicious.

Well, it helps to live in a place where either of those restaurants exist. Neither of those restaurants have locations near me nor the places I frequently visit.

Edit: A Google Maps search suggests the closest Waffle House to me is in St. Joseph, MO. I suspect Huddle House would be just as far away, if not more so.

briantroutman

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 09, 2018, 05:47:09 AM
Wouldn't upside down IHOp be dOHI?

Rotated 180° (around the Z axis), it's dOHI, but flipped 180° (around the X axis), it's IHOb.

Several people have already noted the (hopefully unintended) similarity to the o.b. tampon logo. This vertical flip also spoils the "nose"  in IHOP's fairly recently added smiley face. More proof that this is just a stunt.

In a semi-related story, some small-time appliance distributor in Canada seized upon IHOP's sideshow joke to announce that the company would be changing its name to dOHI and would offer to buy IHOP franchisees' unneeded dOHI signs for a fair price.

US71

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 09, 2018, 09:31:12 AM
Quote from: cjk374 on June 09, 2018, 08:30:00 AM

Well, it helps to live in a place where either of those restaurants exist. Neither of those restaurants have locations near me nor the places I frequently visit.

Edit: A Google Maps search suggests the closest Waffle House to me is in St. Joseph, MO. I suspect Huddle House would be just as far away, if not more so.

Kansas City
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Nacho

I figure this is a stunt along the lines of Pizza Hut supposedly changing their name to Pasta Hut about a decade ago.

The last time I ate at an IHOP was for dinner in Terre Haute while on the road. I don't specifically remember what I got, but at those types of places I usually order off the breakfast menu regardless of time of day. It kinda occupies a space in my mind as fine for what it is, but not someplace I'd go out of my way to eat at either.

texaskdog

I saw the commercial last night and we ate there this morning.  The server just said they were coming out with a new menu with more burgers on it.  What was funny was EVERY server looked like Chris Farley as the lunch lady.

abefroman329

Quote from: texaskdog on June 10, 2018, 11:15:07 PM
I saw the commercial last night and we ate there this morning.  The server just said they were coming out with a new menu with more burgers on it.  What was funny was EVERY server looked like Chris Farley as the lunch lady.

Sloppy joe, SLOP, SLOPPY JOE

texaskdog

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 11, 2018, 08:59:42 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on June 10, 2018, 11:15:07 PM

Sloppy joe, SLOP, SLOPPY JOE

Our server was large, had the big black glasses, and she had a topknot.  Someone else brought out the food, they looked like twins.  There were a couple others that could be their sisters.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/lunch-lady/n10528

US71

It's Official:  International House of Burgers...and they admit it's a publicity gimmick.
Beats Burgers and Borscht, I guess 

PHLBOS

Quote from: briantroutman on June 09, 2018, 10:49:59 AMSeveral people have already noted the (hopefully unintended) similarity to the o.b. tampon logo. This vertical flip also spoils the "nose"  in IHOP's fairly recently added smiley face. More proof that this is just a stunt.
:rofl: I didn't even think of such until you mentioned it but you're right.

Is o.b. even still around?  I remember when it was first advertised during the late 70s.

Marketing Blunder 101.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: US71 on June 11, 2018, 11:10:04 AM
It's Official:  International House of Burgers...and they admit it's a publicity gimmick.
Beats Burgers and Borscht, I guess 

Their original message said it was a gimmick. The media ran with it though and made it sound a lot more permanent.

briantroutman

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 11, 2018, 11:14:23 AM
Is o.b. even still around?  I remember when it was first advertised during the late 70s.

Yes–my wife's preferred brand.

abefroman329

So they're offering unlimited fries with their burgers in an attempt to compete with Red Robin.  What's the other major chain that's also doing that?  I think it's TGI Friday's, Ruby Tuesday, or Applebee's.

jwolfer

There is a diner in Pt Pleasant NJ called the OB Diner.. stands for Ocean Bay.. because it is near the ocean and Barnegat Bay

Z981

texaskdog

Quote from: briantroutman on June 11, 2018, 12:03:23 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on June 11, 2018, 11:14:23 AM

Yes—my wife's preferred brand.

Sad that you know that.  You'd do well on the newlywed game though.

texaskdog

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 11, 2018, 12:53:58 PM
So they're offering unlimited fries with their burgers in an attempt to compete with Red Robin.  What's the other major chain that's also doing that?  I think it's TGI Friday's, Ruby Tuesday, or Applebee's.

If only Red Robin had good fries

jeffandnicole

Quote from: texaskdog on June 11, 2018, 01:42:31 PM

But they do!    :D

I especially like their seasoning.  So much so that I've bought it on a few occasions!

abefroman329

What?  They're delicious!  But Red Robin does what many restaurants do with "unlimited" food: Bring you progressively smaller and smaller portions every time you ask for more.

US71

Red Robin is not on my menu due to poor service

jakeroot

Steak fries are the mad note!

jeffandnicole

At Red Robin and several other restaurants, I've read the reviews of people having slow service at their table.  However, I always sit at the bar, and have found the service to be exceptionally great there.  Fry refills are usually quickly taken care of as well.  As the bartender is always there, you're never waiting long for them to notice that you may need something!

US71

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 11, 2018, 02:27:38 PM
At Red Robin and several other restaurants, I've read the reviews of people having slow service at their table.  However, I always sit at the bar, and have found the service to be exceptionally great there.  Fry refills are usually quickly taken care of as well.  As the bartender is always there, you're never waiting long for them to notice that you may need something!

If you are by yourself, that table of two that walked in after you will have their order taken first and receive their food before you do. If you file a complaint, there is much buck passing before nothing gets done.

abefroman329

Now that I think about it, we have had inattentive service at RR, but never so bad that it made us want to not return.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.