News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

County roads in St. Louis County, MO

Started by MNHighwayMan, June 12, 2018, 10:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

This is going to be a bit of an odd post, because I really only have one question about the subject: does St. Louis County, MO have marked county roads?

I ask because some time ago I bought this St. Louis County road marker, and I just want to make sure it is from St. Louis County, Minnesota, not Missouri.

I scoured Google Maps quite a bit to see if I could find any numbered county routes in St. Louis Co, MO, but couldn't find any. As far as the sign itself, there's no identifying marks on the back, nor any hints of any identifying stickers that have been removed. What's odd about this marker is that it uses yellow digits, and while most of Minnesota uses white digits on blue pentagon CR markers, a large outlier is Hennepin County, MN, which uses all yellow digits, and I have also personally seen St. Louis County MN markers with yellow digits, too.

So, while I'm >90 percent sure this sign is from northern Minnesota, I'm just looking for confirmation that brings me (closer) to 100 percent.

skluth

I live in St Louis County. Yes and no.

Missouri uses letters for their county trunk highways, much like Wisconsin. Some of the major roads in STL County are CTHs, like Page Avenue is County D within I-270. There is a MO 16. It is up near the Iowa border. So unless someone placed their own highway marker in The County (which is what locals refer to it to distinguish it from St Louis City proper which is its own county), it's from a different St Louis County.

Missouri CTH markers are pretty bland. Here's an example: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6992566,-90.4441267,3a,75y,99.04h,86.21t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjOVPu0K2lxplqH8f4ItIlg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Scott5114

Note that Missouri's lettered routes aren't county highways, they are state "supplemental routes". They are maintained by MoDOT, not the counties, and while they don't usually cross county lines, and are duplicated from county to county, they actually don't have anything to do with the counties.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 12, 2018, 04:42:59 PM
Note that Missouri's lettered routes aren't county highways, they are state "supplemental routes". They are maintained by MoDOT, not the counties, and while they don't usually cross county lines, and are duplicated from county to county, they actually don't have anything to do with the counties.

I understand MoDOT keeps trying to divest themselves of the Secondaries, but the counties don't want them.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: skluth on June 12, 2018, 12:49:53 PM
I live in St Louis County. Yes and no.

Missouri uses letters for their county trunk highways, much like Wisconsin. Some of the major roads in STL County are CTHs, like Page Avenue is County D within I-270. There is a MO 16. It is up near the Iowa border. So unless someone placed their own highway marker in The County (which is what locals refer to it to distinguish it from St Louis City proper which is its own county), it's from a different St Louis County.

Missouri CTH markers are pretty bland. Here's an example: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6992566,-90.4441267,3a,75y,99.04h,86.21t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjOVPu0K2lxplqH8f4ItIlg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Thank you! This is pretty much the answer I was looking (and hoping) for: this sign is definitely from Minnesota then.

Revive 755

To the best of my knowledge, the closest St. Louis County, Missouri got to using a pentagon marker was mounted a blue pentagon with 'St. Louis County Highways' or something similar in wording inside.  Here's a fuzzy former example on MO 100 at Big Bend Road - looks like they have all been taken down.

MNHighwayMan

Good to know. I collect Minnesota highway markers, and I made this thread with the intent of finding out for sure whether or not the sign in my OP was from Minnesota, not Missouri, as there are only two St. Louis Counties in the US: MN and MO. I am only interested in keeping it if it is from Minnesota, and the evidence presented so far strongly suggests that it is. :nod:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.