News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What is the Best Gaming Console Available Today?

Started by Henry, June 15, 2018, 09:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

AFAIK, there are three consoles that are currently in production: PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Switch (the replacement for the Wii U).

Aside from video games and connecting to the Internet, at least one of those consoles can also play other media, like DVDs/Blu-Rays and CDs. Also, some of their games can be played on the go via a portable component (PSP, 3DS).

What is the difference between the three consoles, and which one is the best that is currently sold?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ET21

Switch is good for portable gaming and streaming

I recently bought the Xbox One X and the visual upgrade and extra horsepower is excellent. It's currently $50 bucks off until Sunday, while the One S is a good overall starter console

Can't say much about PS4, but from what I played it's similar to the One S, though I think it can't play certain media

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Duke87

I have never understood why people insist on comparing consoles based purely on the merits of the console hardware. Consoles, after all, are paperweights without games to play on them.

So really which console is best for you is purely a question of which console has the games you want to play for it.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

nexus73

Intellivision, Colecovision and SNES for the win...LOL!  My newest console is a PS2 because the games I wanted (hard to find ones) were for that unit.  Guess what?  I never play it!  Strange but true so it sits collecting dust waiting for the time I want to do something with it and it'll be there.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

abefroman329

Quote from: Duke87 on June 15, 2018, 07:12:41 PM
I have never understood why people insist on comparing consoles based purely on the merits of the console hardware. Consoles, after all, are paperweights without games to play on them.

So really which console is best for you is purely a question of which console has the games you want to play for it.

This is how I ended up with an Xbox 360 and, later, an Xbox One.

Scott5114

I have a Switch and I love it. With any Nintendo console, the big draw is, of course, Nintendo's stuff, which is almost always good. But unlike the Wii U, the Switch has managed to draw a lot of ports of games that were originally on other consoles. So you can have your cake and eat it too.

Quote from: nexus73 on June 15, 2018, 08:00:18 PM
Intellivision, Colecovision and SNES for the win...LOL!  My newest console is a PS2 because the games I wanted (hard to find ones) were for that unit.  Guess what?  I never play it!  Strange but true so it sits collecting dust waiting for the time I want to do something with it and it'll be there.

Rick

Guess what? Nothing that you posted is relevant to "What is the Best Gaming Console Available Today?"
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Duke87

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 17, 2018, 02:46:08 PM

Guess what? Nothing that you posted is relevant to "What is the Best Gaming Console Available Today?"

Sure it is. All those consoles are available today. You have to buy one used if you don't already have one, but they are available!
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

abefroman329

Quote from: Duke87 on June 17, 2018, 06:35:19 PM

Sure it is. All those consoles are available today. You have to buy one used if you don't already have one, but they are available!

It'd be a pain trying to get the first three working on a TV that isn't a standard-def CRT model.

Scott5114

He also says he never plays it, so how would he know what the best console available today is?

I don't go into the sports forum and post "Larry Bird for the win...LOL! Guess what? I never watch basketball!"
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

nexus73

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 18, 2018, 06:23:45 AM

He also says he never plays it, so how would he know what the best console available today is?

I don't go into the sports forum and post "Larry Bird for the win...LOL! Guess what? I never watch basketball!"

Geez Scott, all I was doing is interjecting some humor.  You'll get a sense of smiles sooner or later!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

inkyatari

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 17, 2018, 07:13:49 PM

It'd be a pain trying to get the first three working on a TV that isn't a standard-def CRT model.

I had my Atari 7800 modded for that reason.

EDIT: I also have a Switch, and Super Mario Odyssey is an amazing game.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

doorknob60

They're all good:

Switch: Works portable and has excellent Nintendo exclusives like Zelda and Mario you can't get anywhere else
Xbox One: If you get the One X, it's the most powerful console out there. The X and the S can play 4K Blu-Rays. Microsoft is more open to cross-play than Sony in games like Fortnite, Rocket League, and Minecraft. Has some solid exclusives like Forza (I especially like the open world Horizon games), Gears of War, and Halo.
PS4: Has some of the best single player exclusives out there. Uncharted, The Last of Us, God of War, etc. Also arguably has the best third party support (though the Xbox is neck and neck with most AAA games, except some Japanese ones; and the Switch has great indie support).

Depends on what you want. I have all 3 (though I have the base PS4 and Xbox One S, not X) and don't regret it.

ce929wax

I was an XBox guy until I saw a PS3 and bought one in 2011.  I got a PS4 for Christmas last year and it has been excellent.  In addition to games, you can watch DVD's and stream Netflix and Hulu plus and some other streaming services.

Rothman

Tapatalk evidently some strange things sometimes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.