News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Covered Bridges Scenic Byway- Iowa

Started by WhitePoleRD, June 21, 2018, 12:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhitePoleRD

For those that prefer the road less traveled, the Iowa DOT has put up new signage for the Covered Bridge Scenic Byway. This is part of an ongoing effort to tangibly recognize some of the scenically, culturally, and historically significant roads in the state; ranging from the Iowa Great River Road National Byway to the Lincoln Highway to White Pole Road.

The 82-mile byway is mostly centered around US 169 and IA 92 in Madison County, ends at the county lines, and has a few gravel loops and offshoots. After living in Winterset for 3 years and being a US 6 enthusiast, it's pretty cool that my current house and the house I grew up in are both on byways. Even my old apartment in the last town I lived in was on the Western Skies Byway. I guess that's why I'm a roadgeek.  :D

You take the high road, I'll take the low road and I'll be in Iowa before ye.

paulthemapguy

I think it's really neat that Iowa keeps adding more scenic byways.  I like that they sign them with a marker having a universal template, but with a unique and memorable image depicted every time.  How many covered bridges can you see on the byway?  This reminds me of "covered bridge country" in west-central Indiana, centered on Parke County.  My mom and I went touring around there once when I was a teenager, looking for the covered bridges.  Driving a 1999 bright red Dodge Caravan over a century-old wood structure did feel a bit...precarious heh.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

iowahighways

They're also supposed to add scenic byway signs for the White Pole Road and Jefferson Highway as well, but I haven't seen any signage for the latter yet.

For a point of reference: Official Iowa Scenic Byway site
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

US71

Quote from: iowahighways on June 26, 2018, 10:44:33 PM
They're also supposed to add scenic byway signs for the White Pole Road and Jefferson Highway as well, but I haven't seen any signage for the latter yet.

I thought Iowa had already started posting the JH, but maybe not.  I know a couple members promised to post photos when the first signs went up, but I've yet to see anything.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

txstateends

It would be nice if TX did more organized posted byways.  I know there is the set of trails (Forest Trail, Lakes Trail, Plains Trail, etc) already, but with the amount of roads and places to go in the state, it wouldn't hurt to do more.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: US71 on June 27, 2018, 09:54:52 AM
Quote from: iowahighways on June 26, 2018, 10:44:33 PM

I thought Iowa had already started posting the JH, but maybe not.  I know a couple members promised to post photos when the first signs went up, but I've yet to see anything.

I haven't seen any signs, either. (Add me to the list of members to post a photo when they find one? :))

Edit: I'm also curious to know just how well it will be signed within Des Moines itself. Signage for the Dragoon Trail within Des Moines has almost completely disappeared (from neglect of maintenance, not from active removal).

DandyDan

Still waiting for the Jefferson Highway here in Mason City.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

WhitePoleRD

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 26, 2018, 10:25:08 PM
How many covered bridges can you see on the byway?

Unfortunately there is only one bridge you can see from the byway- the Imes Bridge in St. Charles off of CR G50. I've noticed though that the signage is really pretty impressive- I just recently traveled the lion's share of the Loess Hills byway and that one has all of the loops and spurs listed; it seems like this one is equally so in regards to getting to the bridges. One of the loops also goes through Pammel Park, which includes a drive across a ford and a pretty creepy tunnel at night.

The full route is US 169 from the Dallas County line to IA 92, CR G4R from I-35 to 169, John Wayne Drive through Winterset, CR P71 from John Wayne Drive to CR G50, IA 92 from US 169 to the Adair County line (?) and CR G50 from CR P71 to I-35.
You take the high road, I'll take the low road and I'll be in Iowa before ye.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: DandyDan on June 28, 2018, 05:06:18 PM
Still waiting for the Jefferson Highway here in Mason City.

I'm wondering if we're not seeing any signs for it yet because it's so long (goes across the entire state) and will require a ton of signs, and they're waiting until they have enough signs made to mark the whole thing at once.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.