News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Former NV 40/Valley of Fire Highway

Started by Max Rockatansky, August 23, 2018, 10:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Came across Valley of Fire Highway/Former NV 40 in my photo albums today:

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2018/08/2016-fall-mountain-trip-part-7-former.html

I'm to understand that NV 40 was supposed to become part of NV 169 but ultimately never did.  Does anyone know NV 169 ultimately wasn't assigned to Valley of Fire Highway...seems kind of odd considering it has a Nevada Scenic Byway designation.

roadfro

I'm not 100% certain, but it's probably due to ownership.

The pre-1976 state routes were legislatively defined in state law (NRS 408), and not all defined routes were owned by NDOH/NDOT. Legislative definitions were removed from state law in the 1976 renumbering process that also saw the federal aid highway system classifications renumbered statewide. Post-1976, any road on the federal aid system owned by NDOT got a new state highway number that (typically) corresponded with the new FAP/FAS/FAU/SAR designation.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadfro on August 24, 2018, 10:33:04 AM
I'm not 100% certain, but it's probably due to ownership.

The pre-1976 state routes were legislatively defined in state law (NRS 408), and not all defined routes were owned by NDOH/NDOT. Legislative definitions were removed from state law in the 1976 renumbering process that also saw the federal aid highway system classifications renumbered statewide. Post-1976, any road on the federal aid system owned by NDOT got a new state highway number that (typically) corresponded with the new FAP/FAS/FAU/SAR designation.

That's more or less what I suspected, I know we had talked about some of the legislatively defined routes prior to 1976 never being NDOH maintained previously.  It seems that Nevada Scenic Byways can pretty much be applied to any roadway that meets the criteria regardless of ownership looking through the list on Wikipedia.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.