News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

UT 8, UT 300, and UT 34

Started by Max Rockatansky, September 07, 2018, 08:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Back in 2016 I traveled to Snow Canyon State Park headed towards Zion National Park.  That being the case I ended up driving all of; UT 8, former UT 300 on Snow Canyon Road, and UT 34:

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2018/09/2016-fall-mountain-trip-part-10-utah.html

US 89

I enjoyed reading your post. Few things to note:

-I was always under the impression that the US 91 truncation happened in 1974, based on the Wikipedia article.

-I wouldn't be surprised if SR-300 was signed in Snow Canyon. Most of the state park routes with any significant length are signed--I know for sure 311, 315, 318, and 319 are. In fact, there are still straggler 308 signs up in Goblin Valley, even though it was decommissioned in 2003.

-SR-8's historic route through Ivins does look odd today, but keep in mind that most of the development between Ivins and SR-18 is fairly new, and Snow Canyon Parkway didn't even exist in 1996. The route through Ivins via Red Mountain Blvd/200 East and Center Street was probably the only way into Snow Canyon from the south at the time.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US 89 on September 08, 2018, 05:26:25 PM
I enjoyed reading your post. Few things to note:

-I was always under the impression that the US 91 truncation happened in 1974, based on the Wikipedia article.

-I wouldn't be surprised if SR-300 was signed in Snow Canyon. Most of the state park routes with any significant length are signed--I know for sure 311, 315, 318, and 319 are. In fact, there are still straggler 308 signs up in Goblin Valley, even though it was decommissioned in 2003.

-SR-8's historic route through Ivins does look odd today, but keep in mind that most of the development between Ivins and SR-18 is fairly new, and Snow Canyon Parkway didn't even exist in 1996. The route through Ivins via Red Mountain Blvd/200 East and Center Street was probably the only way into Snow Canyon from the south at the time.

Ironically I'll have a ton of Utah stuff coming up for both 2016 Mountain Trip series.  I want to say the next 7-8 entries in the Fall series will be Utah exclusively.  Oddly Utah is one of the more common states I've explored which I would attribute to a kiss ass assortment of National Parks and State Parks.  I actually took the following route back in 2016 to return to Arizona; UT 9, US 89, UT 12, UT 63, UT 12, UT 24, I-70/US 50, I-70/US 50/US 6/US 191, US 191, UT 313, US 191, UT 95, UT 275, UT 95, US 191, UT 95, UT 261, and US 163.

What I found strange was that UT 8 was truncated so quickly after being completed.  I'd be interested to see why the Parks wanted to maintain a roadway they probably have just left in the hands of UDOT. 

As far as US 91 goes, I would speculate the legislative action to truncate was in 1973 but the signs probably came down in 1974.  Breezing through USends's article I didn't really see much of an explanation regarding 1973.

US 89

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 08, 2018, 10:36:15 PM
What I found strange was that UT 8 was truncated so quickly after being completed.  I'd be interested to see why the Parks wanted to maintain a roadway they probably have just left in the hands of UDOT. 

Reading through the UDOT resolution, it appears that the Parks were planning to convert part of the road to one-way, in addition to placing entrance stations and parking lots on the road. That was determined to be inconsistent with the criteria for a Utah state highway, and so the route was turned over from UDOT to the Parks.

What's really interesting is that it appears the 1996 legislature only actuated the part of SR-8 between Dixie Downs and SR-18, so UT 8 was never actually signed between Dixie Downs Rd (the current western terminus) and Snow Canyon (in addition to combining SR-300 and SR-8). The Dixie Downs-Snow Canyon portion of the route was never actuated, and it was not shown as a state route on the map provided with the 1999 decommissioning.

If you ask me, I think Sunset Blvd should be a state highway at least out to Santa Clara, but I'd prefer if it went all the way out to the Gunlock Rd split. Or better yet, all the way down to the Arizona line on Old 91, so there's a state-maintained alternate if there are ever problems in the Virgin River Gorge.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US 89 on September 08, 2018, 11:31:53 PM

Reading through the UDOT resolution, it appears that the Parks were planning to convert part of the road to one-way, in addition to placing entrance stations and parking lots on the road. That was determined to be inconsistent with the criteria for a Utah state highway, and so the route was turned over from UDOT to the Parks.

What's really interesting is that it appears the 1996 legislature only actuated the part of SR-8 between Dixie Downs and SR-18, so UT 8 was never actually signed between Dixie Downs Rd (the current western terminus) and Snow Canyon (in addition to combining SR-300 and SR-8). The Dixie Downs-Snow Canyon portion of the route was never actuated, and it was not shown as a state route on the map provided with the 1999 decommissioning.

If you ask me, I think Sunset Blvd should be a state highway at least out to Santa Clara, but I'd prefer if it went all the way out to the Gunlock Rd split. Or better yet, all the way down to the Arizona line on Old 91, so there's a state-maintained alternate if there are ever problems in the Virgin River Gorge.

Wasn't Old 91 just repaved just a couple years ago?  The Route sure isn't direct but I wouldn't call it useless.  I've had to use it a couple times over the years due to the Virgin River Gorge being shut down due to wrecks. 

Rover_0

I concur. It baffles me why old US-91 between UT-18 and the Arizona state line isn't state-maintained, while we still have state-maintained roads to nowhere like SR-45 and SR-94. (SRs 42 and 174 also qualify, though 42 can be considered part of an alternate to I-84 when you combine it with SR-30, ID-81, and the county road that connects them both, and 174 does serve a fairly major power plant.)

Anyways, back to SR-8. I don't see it remaining as-is indefinitely. I can see it eventually extended, possibly as far as Arizona down old 91, extended and routed south from its current west end south along Dixie Drive back to I-15 (possibly as a predecessor to this "Western Corridor" that would be planned to connect to I-15 near Exit 2/SR-7), or even returned full-stop to local control. Well, if none of those three things happen, those are options I would consider I mean, it barely touches the Santa Clara city line at its current west end, but as it stands, what's the point?
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rover_0 on September 09, 2018, 04:03:14 AM

I concur. It baffles me why old US-91 between UT-18 and the Arizona state line isn't state-maintained, while we still have state-maintained roads to nowhere like SR-45 and SR-94. (SRs 42 and 174 also qualify, though 42 can be considered part of an alternate to I-84 when you combine it with SR-30, ID-81, and the county road that connects them both, and 174 does serve a fairly major power plant.)

Anyways, back to SR-8. I don't see it remaining as-is indefinitely. I can see it eventually extended, possibly as far as Arizona down old 91, extended and routed south from its current west end south along Dixie Drive back to I-15 (possibly as a predecessor to this "Western Corridor" that would be planned to connect to I-15 near Exit 2/SR-7), or even returned full-stop to local control. Well, if none of those three things happen, those are options I would consider I mean, it barely touches the Santa Clara city line at its current west end, but as it stands, what's the point?

Regarding Old US 91 even on the Arizona side its more or less inexcusable that the route isn't the responsibility of ADOT.  I seem to recall the folks in Arizona were pushing it as an alternate route when I-15 was rebuilt in the Virgin River Gorge this past decade.  Really Old 91 shouldn't have been relinquished to begin with but it would make a nice AZ/UT 91.

Rover_0

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 09, 2018, 10:08:24 AM
Quote from: Rover_0 on September 09, 2018, 04:03:14 AM

Regarding Old US 91 even on the Arizona side its more or less inexcusable that the route isn't the responsibility of ADOT.  I seem to recall the folks in Arizona were pushing it as an alternate route when I-15 was rebuilt in the Virgin River Gorge this past decade.  Really Old 91 shouldn't have been relinquished to begin with but it would make a nice AZ/UT 91.
True, though it would probably be something else, at least in Utah, given that US-91 still exists in Utah (albeit on the opposite end of the state). Possibly AZ-91/UT-8 or, if commissioned today, AZ-91/UT-11?

While drifting into fictional territory, if many of us (particularly myself) got our wish to extend an east-west US Route to I-15's Exit 16, you could possibly extend it over SR-34, (SR-18), SR-8, and Old 91 to I-15 at Littlefield (or Mesquite) or create an alternate/3dus route over the old 91 alignment.

On the other hand, if you had US-64 extended to I-15 via the Southern Parkway (SR-7) and further into Nevada and California via a concurrency with I-15 through the Virgin River Gorge, the Old 91 alignment could be US-64A (if you can get it connected back to 64 at the planned SR-7/9 junction) or US-x64 that ends at Exit 8.

XT1710-02

Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.