News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

SR 95/I-40 concurrency?

Started by 707, September 21, 2018, 01:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is this even real? I've seen it on OpenStreetMap and Google Maps, but the Wikipedia page and latest released ADOT State Highway Log show no evidence of an SR 95/I-40 concurrency...

Max Rockatansky

I used to frequent that stretch regularly, there is no AZ 95 signage directing traffic onto I-40.  Apparently the long term plan is to shift AZ 95 east through the Topock Marsh to connect to I-40 via Mojave County Route 1 and Old US 66 on the Oatman Highway.

Zonie

It's been two separate segments - I-10 to I-40, and the other from CA 62 to NV 163.

That's what I thought. Thanks for the answers. Ill go on OSM later today and remove the incorrect SR 95 concurrency from I-40.

VS988

US 89

This looks like one of those where the route has an implied routing through another state, and of course isn't signed as such on the other side of the border. Reminds me of WY 89, which has an implied routing along UT 16 and 30 -- but don't expect to see any WY 89 signs in Utah.

Arizona, seeing that California doesn't post any AZ 95 signs (why would they?), probably figures it a waste of money to sign 95 over the I-40 concurrency, only for it to end at the state line.

Max Rockatansky

AZ 95 is fascinating to me because it obviously was first signed as an attempt to bring US 95 into Arizona as can be seen on this 1938 State Highway Map below:

Interestingly AZ 95 extended north from Quartzsite to Bouse of all places at AZ 72.  At the time it would have made sense to have only one route designation but when US 95 was applied to AZ 95 south of Quartzsite in 1961 the State Route number was retained. 

https://www.usends.com/95.html

Interestingly on the above map it looks like AZ 72 ended at the Colorado River in Parker in 1961 as opposed to AZ 95.  Obviously AZ 172 became a northward extension of AZ 95.  At the time there was no state highway south of AZ 68 to Bullhead City north from US 66 to Lake Havasu.

So really it begs the question, why not just sign AZ 72 to the border and then AZ 172 to I-40?  That way the north segment of AZ 95 could have been something like AZ 168.  Really it would have made more sense than the current gapped route and weird AZ 95S routes.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 21, 2018, 11:46:25 PM
AZ 95 is fascinating to me because it obviously was first signed as an attempt to bring US 95 into Arizona as can be seen on this 1938 State Highway Map below:

Interestingly AZ 95 extended north from Quartzsite to Bouse of all places at AZ 72.  At the time it would have made sense to have only one route designation but when US 95 was applied to AZ 95 south of Quartzsite in 1961 the State Route number was retained. 

https://www.usends.com/95.html

Interestingly on the above map it looks like AZ 72 ended at the Colorado River in Parker in 1961 as opposed to AZ 95.  Obviously AZ 172 became a northward extension of AZ 95.  At the time there was no state highway south of AZ 68 to Bullhead City north from US 66 to Lake Havasu.

So really it begs the question, why not just sign AZ 72 to the border and then AZ 172 to I-40?  That way the north segment of AZ 95 could have been something like AZ 168.  Really it would have made more sense than the current gapped route and weird AZ 95S routes.

If you look at the older map, SR 95 ends at SR 72 at Bouse.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Yes that's the original alignment of the highway.  The manicured RV route west of Bouse was a modern design, Bouse used to have a lot more weight the closer you roll back to WWII. 

I forgot to post the 1971 map which shows AZ 95 on the current route.  There is no shields posted on Mojave County 1, Oatman Highway, or US 66 but the route is shown among the principal highways.

Incidentally Arizona Will must have inspired Bruce Lee's kill of O'Hara in Enter the Dragon...damn that's cold.  :-D

kdk

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 21, 2018, 08:24:04 AM
I used to frequent that stretch regularly, there is no AZ 95 signage directing traffic onto I-40.  Apparently the long term plan is to shift AZ 95 east through the Topock Marsh to connect to I-40 via Mojave County Route 1 and Old US 66 on the Oatman Highway.

I drive it too every so often.  It's confusing though, I don't recall any signs showing AZ 95 ending, so the first time I did it (driving southbound)  I realized I was in California and there was no AZ 95 signs.  I finally navigated to I-40 following those signs and figured it out, but felt like I must have made a wrong turn.  If I feel that way I'm sure lots of drivers get lost doing this.  I haven't heard about a future routing plan through Toprock but it makes a lot more sense.

mapman1071

AZ 95 from I-40 Exit 1 Thru Golden Shores was Deleted from the state route logs 2 decades ago due to NIMBYs. ADOT is planning a new AZ 95 route that would continue AZ 95 North from I-40 Exit 9 to Bullhead Parkway on the North side of Bullhead City Airport.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mapman1071 on September 24, 2018, 09:25:46 PM

AZ 95 from I-40 Exit 1 Thru Golden Shores was Deleted from the state route logs 2 decades ago due to NIMBYs. ADOT is planning a new AZ 95 route that would continue AZ 95 North from I-40 Exit 9 to Bullhead Parkway on the North side of Bullhead City Airport.

I couldn't recall the exact details, the actual project information is below:

https://azdot.gov/docs/default-source/projects/14-129-newsletter_sr-95_web.pdf?sfvrsn=0

kdk

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 24, 2018, 11:37:07 PM

https://azdot.gov/docs/default-source/projects/14-129-newsletter_sr-95_web.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Thanks for the info, I was not aware of this plan.  It makes a lot of sense, connects Lake Havasu City and Bullhead a lot better than the current configurations.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kdk on September 27, 2018, 03:23:44 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 24, 2018, 11:37:07 PM

Thanks for the info, I was not aware of this plan.  It makes a lot of sense, connects Lake Havasu City and Bullhead a lot better than the current configurations.

The foothills of the Black Mountains are surprisingly workable and largely undeveloped.  Aside from the Oatman Highway there really isn't much out there, road development ought to be somewhat easy.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.