News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Favorite Breed of Dog

Started by roadman65, November 06, 2018, 10:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

02 Park Ave

C-o-H

Max Rockatansky

Boxer, had a lab-boxer mix that was loyal as hell to me and a great friend. 

formulanone

We have an Australian Shepherd, and they're friendly but attention-needy. They will wear you out before you wear them out; very smart but require a good bit of discipline.

Also had a German Shepherd / Labrador mix (not truly sure what he was) which wasn't friendly towards many people until he got to know you for a while. Didn't seem to like anyone when he was in the shelter. He loved walks and car rides, which is how he'd put up with me in the first place. A great guard dog; but was a calm and loyal companion to his family, was easy to train and follow orders.

I miss our Plott Hound, he was the sweetest. Medium difficulty to train, very friendly, but attentive. No problem chasing anything, but scared (to the point of shaking) of lightning and fireworks. He grew a little stronger once he became the alpha dog in the family.

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

abefroman329

Pit bull/St. Bernard mix, because it'll attack you and then run for help.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MikeTheActuary

Well-socialized, well-loved pit bulls.  They're big babies with bigger hearts.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CNGL-Leudimin

I hate dogs. Especially small dogs (commonly called perros patada, literally "kick dogs", around here as sometimes one wants to kick them).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

abefroman329

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 07, 2018, 01:08:11 PM
I hate dogs. Especially small dogs (commonly called perros patada, literally "kick dogs", around here as sometimes one wants to kick them).
I don't like small dogs, either.  My ex-girlfriend had a stupid, flatulent little dog that thought EVERYTHING was a threat (including the Vikings in the old Capital One commercials).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 07, 2018, 01:16:00 PM
I don't like small dogs, either.  My ex-girlfriend had a stupid, flatulent little dog that thought EVERYTHING was a threat (including the Vikings in the old Capital One commercials).

I've had 9 dogs over the years ranging from Chihuahuas up to 110 pound labs.  There are some traits in each breed but really how they act usually depends on the owner.  Most small dogs are overly pampered by some ninny middle-aged house wife and act accordingly  My Chihuahuas were oddly the most adept at living outside in the yard most of the year and did well out hiking off leash...go figure..

Brandon

None.  I'm not overly fond of dogs.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hotdogPi

Quote from: Brandon on November 08, 2018, 10:41:57 AM

I am afraid of dogs, but I do support the Doge meme.
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

Buck87

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

sparker

Siberian husky -- they're smart, sneaky, a bit needy, and ours is very, very food-oriented.  Thinks that every activity deserves a snack as follow-up!  More like a 12-year-old kid than a dog, IMO.  But ours is a real sweetie -- loves people, other dogs (unless they prove problematic), cats -- well, maybe not squirrels (chases those!).  She's 11, but romps around like a puppy.  Just hope she can defy the actuarial odds and stick around for a few more years!

slorydn1

Belgian Malinois. Having worked for a law enforcement agency for 21 years I have spent alot of time around the working dogs and I love them.

For my own at home dog, for some silly reason I have really become attached to shih tzus. My brother has a black full blood and mine is a white shih tzu/bijon mix. I have them both at my house now, but my brother is coming up for Thanksgiving and will be bringing his back home. He leaves his dog with me during hurricane season in case he gets activated for hurricane duty (FLARNG) which has happened quite a bit the last several years down there.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

paulthemapguy

Quote from: sparker on November 09, 2018, 02:11:57 AM
Siberian husky -- they're smart, sneaky, a bit needy, and ours is very, very food-oriented.  Thinks that every activity deserves a snack as follow-up!  More like a 12-year-old kid than a dog, IMO.  But ours is a real sweetie -- loves people, other dogs (unless they prove problematic), cats -- well, maybe not squirrels (chases those!).  She's 11, but romps around like a puppy.  Just hope she can defy the actuarial odds and stick around for a few more years!

Siberian huskies for me, too.  Great with kids, quiet, smart, beautiful, inquisitive, and full of personality.  Don't ask them to fetch for you, though.  I have had 3-- one was very food-oriented.  I don't think that's a trait of a breed, but it's a trait any dog of any breed might have.  They act a bit childish and goofy but they can be very fun and affectionate.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

adventurernumber1

Probably a Labrador Retriever or a Bulldog.

My family had a lab when I was younger, until he died back in 2010.

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 07, 2018, 01:16:00 PM

I feel you. A few years ago, our neighbors' several small, annoying, violent dogs were chasing me in circles in the grass. With it not completely certain whether they were "clean" (free of rabies or anything else) or not, it is the fastest I have ever ran in my entire life. The neighbors finally successfully summoned them back after a minute of agony and physical exertion.

I, too, love the doge meme.  :biggrin:

Quote from: vdeane on November 08, 2018, 01:02:11 PM
Quote from: 1 on November 08, 2018, 11:14:54 AM
Quote from: Brandon on November 08, 2018, 10:41:57 AM

I am afraid of dogs, but I do support the Doge meme.

wow

so cool

such doge road sign
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

sparker

Quote from: paulthemapguy on November 09, 2018, 12:41:26 PM
Quote from: sparker on November 09, 2018, 02:11:57 AM

Siberian huskies for me, too.  Great with kids, quiet, smart, beautiful, inquisitive, and full of personality.  Don't ask them to fetch for you, though.  I have had 3-- one was very food-oriented.  I don't think that's a trait of a breed, but it's a trait any dog of any breed might have.  They act a bit childish and goofy but they can be very fun and affectionate.

Absolutely spot-on about the fetching -- ours wouldn't fetch for all the doggy jerky in Santa Clara County! 

Laura

I love Bernese Mountain Dogs and Golden Retrievers (had friends with these dogs). I also love chihuahuas (my Grandmom has had 2). I've never had a dog but always pictured that if I did it would be a small/medium sized one (like bichon size).

iPhone

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.