News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Oakland A's New Stadium talks

Started by bing101, November 28, 2018, 07:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

NE2

That must be a high tech stadium, able to talk to guests.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SP Cook

Same story as the last 14 Oakland stadium proposals, they just do not have the $$ and, neither does the government (SF's ballpark was paid for by the team). 

I look for the A's to be in Montreal by the mid 20s.  The current ballpark is long past it useful life.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: SP Cook on November 29, 2018, 09:23:39 AM
Same story as the last 14 Oakland stadium proposals, they just do not have the $$ and, neither does the government (SF's ballpark was paid for by the team). 

I look for the A's to be in Montreal by the mid 20s.  The current ballpark is long past it useful life.

I would hate to see the A's move to Montreal and they kill the "A's" name in favor of the Montreal Expos. There's so much history with that name, dating back to Connie Mack and the days in Philly, that I'd want the A's team name to survive.

The A's will probably move to Montreal but I don't know how to navigate the naming issue.

jon daly

I think that one of those multi-purpose "concrete ashtray" stadiums should be preserved as a museum. Perhaps the Astrodome (I forget if it is still standing.)  We have memorials for wars, why not a memorial for something almost as terrible?

Oakland Alameda was the worst stadium I recall seeing a ballgame at; and that was 30 years ago. I've been to a couple other stadiums of a similar age (Shea and Three Rivers.) I actually liked the latter and, once I adjusted to the noise of airplanes, Shea wasn't that bad, either. That might be due to my low expectations coming in. There's a flip side to this. After hearing the hype about Jacobs Field in Cleveland, I was disappointed when I visited it in '08.

Henry

That new ballpark looks a lot like Dodger Stadium, if it were built by the water.

I'm a little disappointed that the soon-to-be-former site of Oracle Arena wasn't considered, seeing that the Warriors will move back to San Francisco; it would be the most ideal location to build a new park. At the very least, there needs to be a sale of the team to an owner with deep pockets who is committed to keeping them in Oakland and will do whatever it takes to make this happen.

The A's and Rays may as well be contracted if neither team gets what it deserves most, and that's a new home to play in.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NE2

Quote from: jon daly on November 29, 2018, 12:18:09 PM
I think that one of those multi-purpose "concrete ashtray" stadiums should be preserved as a museum. Perhaps the Astrodome (I forget if it is still standing.)  We have memorials for wars, why not a memorial for something almost as terrible?
What a load of privilege.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on November 29, 2018, 12:29:14 PM

"Privilege" for what?  Define it, please.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on November 29, 2018, 02:14:59 PM

I think "privilege" is one of the word filters in place for those who enable censorship on this site.

gonealookin

Quote from: Henry on November 29, 2018, 12:24:14 PM
I'm a little disappointed that the soon-to-be-former site of Oracle Arena wasn't considered, seeing that the Warriors will move back to San Francisco; it would be the most ideal location to build a new park.

The stadium and arena on that site have never done much to contribute to the economy of Oakland.  People drive in from the suburbs, pull off 880 into the enormous parking lot, see their event and leave without spending any other money in the area.  There has not been any commercial development tied to the stadium; the hotels along Hegenberger Road are tied more to Oakland Airport business.  Nobody in any city builds stadiums surrounded by enormous parking lots any more.  Ballparks can bring along businesses like bars and restaurants to bring life to previously derelict parts of town; that's exactly what happened when the other local ballclub moved from the similarly desolate Candlestick Park to the new place in a formerly rundown part of San Francisco.

Brandon

Quote from: Alps on November 29, 2018, 02:22:32 PM

I think "privilege" is one of the word filters in place for those who enable censorship on this site.

A mod?  Those are the only ones I know who should censor anything here.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hotdogPi

Quote from: Brandon on November 29, 2018, 02:37:41 PM
Quote from: Alps on November 29, 2018, 02:22:32 PM

A mod?  Those are the only ones I know who should censor anything here.

There are a few automatic word filters, but as far as I can tell, this is not one of them.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

jon daly

I fell like I accidentally crossed a line here that regulars know about but isn't apparent to less devoted posters like me.

abefroman329

Oakland Alameda was the worst stadium I recall seeing a ballgame at; and that was 30 years ago. I've been to a couple other stadiums of a similar age (Shea and Three Rivers.) I actually liked the latter and, once I adjusted to the noise of airplanes, Shea wasn't that bad, either. That might be due to my low expectations coming in. There's a flip side to this. After hearing the hype about Jacobs Field in Cleveland, I was disappointed when I visited it in '08.
For baseball, the best multipurpose stadium I've been to was RFK. We sat in the upper deck and we could see everything. Fulton County Stadium was a pit, and I don't remember much about the old Busch Stadium (the round one that hosted the St. Louis Football and Baseball Cardinals).

I've never seen a football game at a multipurpose stadium.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jon daly on November 29, 2018, 08:12:46 PM
I fell like I accidentally crossed a line here that regulars know about but isn't apparent to less devoted posters like me.

I can't tell, either. And I'm a regular.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

triplemultiplex

If they have to move, I'd rather see the A's go to like North Carolina or Tennessee.  The Braves need to give up some of that disproportionately large market down there in those SEC states.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kevinb1994

Quote from: triplemultiplex on November 30, 2018, 09:16:56 AM
If they have to move, I'd rather see the A's go to like North Carolina or Tennessee.  The Braves need to give up some of that disproportionately large market down there in those SEC states.

Same here, the mid-south could use another MLB team.

Mccojm

Charlotte would be great but they just recently opened their minor league stadium with great location and skyline view but it's been said time and time againntheir stadium cannot be expanded whichnkills mlb expansion their for the foreseeable future
My expressed thoughts do not reflect those of NYSDOT, other associated agencies or firms.  Do not take anything I say as official unless it is released by said agencies.

NYSDOT R10 Long Island construction Group since 2013.

abefroman329

If the NBA, NFL, and NHL have managed to expand into both states, and MLB hasn't, I'm assuming there isn't a market for it.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1 on November 29, 2018, 10:25:41 PM

We have a few boarders whose spittle-flecked rants it's best to ignore, NE2 being one of them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 02, 2018, 06:46:55 AM

We have a few boarders whose spittle-flecked rants it's best to ignore, NE2 being one of them.

I'm not sure what he meant by privilege there either. But, that said, it's a terrible idea. What city would want to be the one that has to keep one of those multi purpose stadiums for no reason? There really isn't a baseball or football fan out there that honestly misses those places.  In Philly, if anything, we miss the 700 level....which was practically a war zone during Eagles games.

abefroman329

Did the Vet really have its own criminal court to handle cases where attendees were arrested?

Alps

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 02, 2018, 06:46:55 AM

And you're another. No singling out people for attack.

jon daly

Thanks. I sometimes have trouble letting this stuff roll off of my shoulders when I see it online. In person, I'm not the most adroit non-verbal communicator, but I can detect tone easier.

In this case, it's no big deal. It's a drive by comment. The ones that get me are the ones that escalate into a back and forth argument.

jakeroot

It took me a very, very long time to understand what "talks" meant in the thread title.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.