News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Shreveport to Alexandria: US 71 or LA 1?

Started by bugo, December 15, 2018, 05:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Before I-49 was completed through central Louisiana, was US 71 or LA 1 considered the better route from Shreveport to Alexandria? They parallel each other a few miles apart. Also, if you were going from Alexandria to, say, Baton Rouge, was it better to take LA 1 all the way or the US 71-US 190 routing?

cjk374

I have driven all of US 71 in Louisiana, but I only have LA 1 from the 3-states marker to Natchitoches. There are many more stores/services on US 71 than what I have seen so far on LA 1. Because of that, I would say that US 71 was the better choice.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

71 is a bit more direct to Baton Rouge. LA 1 seems to meander around more, but having driven LA 1 north of Alexandria, I'd agree there are generally more services on 71.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bassoon1986

Pre I-49, from Alexandria to Baton Rouge, US 71 to 190 was definitely the straighter shot. It's still definitely fewer miles than using I-49 to 190.

Now from Shreveport to Alexandria I think it depends. If you wanted fewer places to slow down for small towns then take LA 1. The only places now with a speed limit change are Natchitoches, Natchez and Boyce. If you wanted towns and services then US 71 has the better route. There's a little more variety of scenery on 71, too.

iPhone

US71

Quote from: bassoon1986 on December 15, 2018, 11:42:04 AM
Pre I-49, from Alexandria to Baton Rouge, US 71 to 190 was definitely the straighter shot. It's still definitely fewer miles than using I-49 to 190.

Now from Shreveport to Alexandria I think it depends. If you wanted fewer places to slow down for small towns then take LA 1. The only places now with a speed limit change are Natchitoches, Natchez and Boyce. If you wanted towns and services then US 71 has the better route. There's a little more variety of scenery on 71, too.

iPhone

Before LADOTD mucked up the numbers, LA 1 was the old Jefferson Highway.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

NE2

Quote from: US71 on December 15, 2018, 11:48:02 AM
Before LADOTD mucked up the numbers, LA 1 was the old Jefferson Highway.
Which is irrelevant, since the original LA 1 went all over the place via Robeline, Belmont, and Mansfield.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bwana39

Quote from: bugo on December 15, 2018, 05:44:14 AM
Before I-49 was completed through central Louisiana, was US 71 or LA 1 considered the better route from Shreveport to Alexandria? They parallel each other a few miles apart. Also, if you were going from Alexandria to, say, Baton Rouge, was it better to take LA 1 all the way or the US 71-US 190 routing?

Seemingly, most of the pre-I-49 traffic traveled from Shreveport / Bossier via LA-1 to Alexandria. In  Alexandria, the Baton Rouge and parts east traffic took US-71 to US-190.

It still is closer to Baton Rouge to dump I-49 in Alexandria and follow US-71.  I generally go ahead and take I-49 to Opelousas then take US-190 to Baton Rouge, but I rarely to never take I-10 unless I am going to Lafayette or Crowley as a stop.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

MikieTimT

Quote from: bwana39 on December 20, 2021, 05:47:51 PM

Seemingly, most of the pre-I-49 traffic traveled from Shreveport / Bossier via LA-1 to Alexandria. In  Alexandria, the Baton Rouge and parts east traffic took US-71 to US-190.

It still is closer to Baton Rouge to dump I-49 in Alexandria and follow US-71.  I generally go ahead and take I-49 to Opelousas then take US-190 to Baton Rouge, but I rarely to never take I-10 unless I am going to Lafayette or Crowley as a stop.

Got stuck taking the I-10 bridge in Baton Rouge westbound today due to an accident on the bridge involving a car, a motorcycle, and the right guardrail.  Some judicious rerouting knocked 20 minutes off the wait.  Sure is a clusterf*ck to get ambulances and police through a 5 mile backlog of traffic due to 3 lanes pretty well stopped and no shoulders to speak of either side of the carriageway.  Took US-190 to Opelousas, then I-49/US-71/I-49 back home from there, stopping at the Blind Tiger in Shreveport for some shrimp, catfish, and the best bread pudding I've been able to find anywhere.

Road Hog

Quote from: MikieTimT on December 23, 2021, 11:25:44 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on December 20, 2021, 05:47:51 PM

Got stuck taking the I-10 bridge in Baton Rouge westbound today due to an accident on the bridge involving a car, a motorcycle, and the right guardrail.  Some judicious rerouting knocked 20 minutes off the wait.  Sure is a clusterf*ck to get ambulances and police through a 5 mile backlog of traffic due to 3 lanes pretty well stopped and no shoulders to speak of either side of the carriageway.  Took US-190 to Opelousas, then I-49/US-71/I-49 back home from there, stopping at the Blind Tiger in Shreveport for some shrimp, catfish, and the best bread pudding I've been able to find anywhere.
Good info. There's a place at Grand Coteau between Opelousas and Lafayette that had some great boudin a decade ago.

bwana39

Quote from: cjk374 on December 15, 2018, 09:06:54 AM
I have driven all of US 71 in Louisiana, but I only have LA 1 from the 3-states marker to Natchitoches. There are many more stores/services on US 71 than what I have seen so far on LA 1. Because of that, I would say that US 71 was the better choice.

You had to look hard to find the three states marker LOL.

You do  go through Coushatta on US-71 but other than that after you leave Shreveport or Bossier City, there are a few ratty stores at the major intersections on both of them. I think the sole benefit of US-71 is that US-71 DOES NOT go through Natchitoches.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.