News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New from Connecticut!

Started by relaxok, February 07, 2011, 04:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

relaxok

Hello all..

Before i found the m.t.r newsgroup years ago and saw sites like this, I thought I was the only one obsessed with roads and maps  :D

Born in PA but spent the first 25 years of my life in Connecticut.  In high school and college (in the 90s) I would drive the hell out of US-7, US-202, and all the great state back roads in Litchfield/etc county (I especially love 47 through Washington, 67 from Woodbridge to New Milford, 317 and 133 in Roxbury/Bridgewater).  Used to commute THROUGH Waterbury to hartford.. I-84 to I-691 to I-91 off to Airport Road.  Everyday!  Horrendous.  Also experienced a lot of drives from the hartford area down to Connecticut College in New London where my gf was.. a long drive down Rt.9!   Also enjoy going north on rt.8 from Waterbury, to Harwinton and such - once you get out of the industrial areas its actually quite pretty.

US-7 from the New Milford area up through Kent up through the Mass border is one of my favorite drives!

I've also put in a good bit of driving on the west coast, as I'm in California now -- PCH of course!  Haven't ventured inland that much.  Also have loved my drives to and from the Grand Canyon from Southern California (including a fun stop getting checked for Livestock around Calexico on I-8).  Hope to visit Death Valley sometime soon.

I've been a huge fan of kurumi's ctroads site, and hope to meet some other CT road enthusiasts here! (i've seen a handful on the Northeast forum).   There's just something about that state's roads that I don't get in California.   Maybe it's the terrain, you never know what you'll find among all those winding roads and hills.  It's a lot more open out here.

Anyway, great to be here!

Henry

Welcome from a former California resident now living in Seattle!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Alps

NJer here, after Massachusetts my next state to clinch all the highways in will be CT, so I'll be up that way quite a bit. I like eastern CT for how open it is - too many cars in western CT!

ctsignguy

Welcome from another Connecticut highway and sign fan....allow me to provide a small taste of home

enjoy! And welcome aboard
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

kurumi

Welcome from a former CT resident living in NoCal. One of these days I'd like to go back and drive the Brookfield Bypass (US 7); CT 133 and its bridge over the Housatonic; old CT 129 and 130; and old CT 199 near the Roxbury mine.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

mightyace

Welcome.

I'm a former Pennsylvania now residing in Middle TN.

Connecticut is a state that has fascinated me road and rail-wise, but I've never gotten around to exploring it myself.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

relaxok

Quote from: kurumi on February 08, 2011, 12:17:42 PM
Welcome from a former CT resident living in NoCal. One of these days I'd like to go back and drive the Brookfield Bypass (US 7); CT 133 and its bridge over the Housatonic; old CT 129 and 130; and old CT 199 near the Roxbury mine.

Kurumi!  Well, I've already emailed you awhile ago telling you how much I love your site - I've spent an insane amount of time on it.  Amazing resource!  Glad to see you here.

It looks like a ton of the same work has been put into wikipedia for individual CT state routes - you're not Polaron by any chance are you?   Whoever that user is on Wikipedia seems to have done a mountain of work maybe using info from your site..

I get dreamy thinking of those roads as well.. more beautiful driving than that is hard to find!

Oh and thank you all for your kind welcomes!

kurumi

I'm not Polaron, though I'm a fan of his work :-) There is a good amount of work on Wikipedia from my site, and sources I've unearthed, but they do a pretty good job of citing it.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.