News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

101 is my home road

Started by nexus73, February 22, 2011, 01:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexus73

From the time my father's side of the family came over what is now US 199 in a Conestoga wagon just after World War I to settle in Loleta CA to the present day that sees me live a stone's throw away from 101 in the Coos Bay area (North Bend), 101 has been a part of our history as a place to live by, do our work on and take trips with.  My mother was born in SF in 1932 and her mother was born in Oakland in 1912.  The maternal grandma would get a second husband who bought a large piece of property (since subdivided and then sold off) along what would become the new 101 in 1953 just before the highway was pushed through in the Coos-Douglas County line area.  Her last independent living was done in Apartment 101 in a senior housing complex in North Bend so she couldn't escape this number no matter what...LOL!  The paternal grandma would get a house on an alley in North Bend that was a tiny half block off of 101 in 1943 after this part of the family had moved from Loleta to Gold Beach to North Bend, then after the Great Depression hit, a move back to Gold Beach, then the return to North Bend during World War II.  I was raised within eyesight of 101 for most of my childhood.

If you who read this are planning to drive out here to the South Coast and would like information on old US 101 alignments to explore, feel free to send me a PM.  If I am not too busy, you'll get a nice reply!

Rick 

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.