Football (North America: NFL, CFL, Arena Football, minor leagues)

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

I taught of starting a general topic about the football in North America who talk about the NFL, CFL, Arena Football and minor leagues.

I spotted this news via City-Data forums http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleveland/1650217-cleveland-browns-being-sold.html who mentionned then the current Cleveland Browns are sold to a new owner. http://tracking.si.com/2012/07/27/browns-owner-randy-lerner-sell-team-negotiations/?section=si_latest

Will the Cleveland Browns end their curse?

And there a new attempt to revive the USFL, this time as a developmental minor league for Spring 2013. http://espn.go.com/nfl/conversations/_/id/7916459/usfl-return-fred-biletnikoff-advisers

mgk920

With the chaos that the NCAA seems to be steadily turning into, perhaps we'll ultimately see a baseball-style minor league system for the NFL.

Mike

golden eagle

I doubt it. The NFL uses the NCAA as a de facto minor league system. Look at all the money the save by not having their own developmental league. They did have NFL Europe, but it went by the wayside.

nexus73

My idea for NFL Spring Football would be a 16 team affair.  An AFC team would be paired with an NFC team to stock the roster and provide the coaches.  Since there are 32 teams, getting to 16 for NFL Spring Football is workable.

Four divisions.  Four division champs plus two wild cards for playoffs, which makes for three weeks of playoffs.  Have the championship game on the weekend closest to the 4th of July.  That way the players have time to rest up a bit before heading off to the regular season training camp. 

Move the NFL Draft to the week after the Super Bowl.  Start the NFL spring season two weeks later, which is enough time to get the majority of drafted players signed.  No pre-season games, just regular season and the playoffs.  That gives enough time to play a 16 game spring season.  Play the divisional opponents twice for 6 of those games.  Play 10 of the other 12 teams for the balance of the schedule. 

Good locations abound.  LA has wanted pro football for so long!  San Antonio and Syracuse have domed stadiums.  Birmingham and Orlando have had non-NFL pro football.  Honolulu would be nice, especially in the first month, as a hosting team while the winter recedes.  Las Vegas, Portland, Sacramento...all would be encouraged to come up with pro-grade stadiums and whoever ponies up gets the NFL Spring team as well as a good look when the NFL chooses to expand.  Orlando has a nice stadium and is the former home of a non-NFL pro team.  Memphis was the original Tennessee Titans location. 

Major cities with an NFL team like NYC, Chicago, Philly and Houston will likely make good candidates for a spring team.  There's already stadiums in place in those cities, which makes these cities good places to look at.

The NFL's name recognition is so high that there will be no problem with them getting network contracts and they would have the NFL Network to fill in the broadcast schedule.  TV money is what makes the sports world go 'round after all and the NFL can get plenty for their product!

Year-round football.  Three cheers for that!

Rick

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

1995hoo

Spring football existed for three years in the early 1980s under the name "USFL." The NFL tried it in the early 1990s with the WLAF, but it only lasted two years before they shut it down and relaunched it later as an all-European league.

San Antonio had a USFL team (the Gunslingers) and it proved disastrous due to a lack of financing. The new stadium is a lot nicer than the old one was and their CFL team was slightly more successful than the Gunslingers were, although they only lasted one season before all the American teams folded (except the Baltimore Stallions, who moved to Montreal).

In terms of non-NFL cities in the USA–other than Los Angeles–that have had teams in major pro leagues since 1970: Birmingham (WFL, USFL, WLAF, CFL, XFL); Columbus (WLAF); Honolulu (WFL); Las Vegas (CFL, XFL); Memphis (WFL, USFL, CFL, XFL); Orlando (WFL, USFL, WLAF, XFL); Portland (WFL, USFL); Raleigh-Durham (WLAF); Sacramento (WLAF; CFL); San Antonio (WFL, USFL, WLAF, CFL); Shreveport (WFL); Tulsa (USFL)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM
I spotted this news via City-Data forums http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleveland/1650217-cleveland-browns-being-sold.html who mentionned then the current Cleveland Browns are sold to a new owner. http://tracking.si.com/2012/07/27/browns-owner-randy-lerner-sell-team-negotiations/?section=si_latest

The curse of Ernie Davis.
Nope, no part time owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers from Tennessee will change the fortunes of Cleveland.
Not in their lifetime it will.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

realjd

Aren't the CFL and AFL the de facto pro development leagues - other than college that is. I'm more of a college football fan myself. The play isn't as precise and sterile IMO. There is just enough sloppiness to make it interesting while maintaining a high level of play.

It seems like every year or two there is talk of an international NFL expansion team - usually London. Do you guys think it's a good idea or not?

Alps

Quote from: realjd on July 30, 2012, 10:35:45 PM
Aren't the CFL and AFL the de facto pro development leagues - other than college that is. I'm more of a college football fan myself. The play isn't as precise and sterile IMO. There is just enough sloppiness to make it interesting while maintaining a high level of play.

It seems like every year or two there is talk of an international NFL expansion team - usually London. Do you guys think it's a good idea or not?
CFL is a separate league, with separate rules, and I've noticed very little crossover. By AFL I assume you mean Arena, as Australian football is even more different than Canadian. Arena seems to be where ex-NFLers wind up when they're not talented enough to make the pro roster. In general, it seems that most football players make the squad coming out of college through the draft, and very few players transition from other leagues.

London: Bad idea. The only thing worse than every team getting jet-lagged going to and from there would be the amount of jet lag the London team would experience.

mgk920

I can see the NFL setting up shop in Toronto, one or two western Canadian cities and perhaps even a couple of Mexican cities within my lifetime.  *NO* expansion outside of North America, though.

Mike

english si

NFL certainly put in a bid for the Olympic Stadium to have as an American Football stadium post-games - which suggests that they want more than one game, else renting Wembley would be enough (and it's a bigger stadium).

Quite right about the jet lag though.

Might see a Superbowl over here.

texaskdog

I really enjoyed the USFL last time.  Would have been a great league had Trump not destroyed it with the stupid fall move.  Much more exciting football than the boring NFL.  Will give me something to augment my enjoyment of college football.  But they'll have to try hard to follow the original USFL model and not wind up being more like the UFL.

texaskdog

Quote from: mgk920 on July 30, 2012, 11:58:51 PM
I can see the NFL setting up shop in Toronto, one or two western Canadian cities and perhaps even a couple of Mexican cities within my lifetime.  *NO* expansion outside of North America, though.

Mike

Only cities really big enough are Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver, but I think they could make a go in all of them.  CFL is very different.

realjd

Quote from: texaskdog on July 31, 2012, 08:29:39 AM

Mike

Only cities really big enough are Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver, but I think they could make a go in all of them.  CFL is very different.

That's not true. Calgary, Ottawa, and Edmonton all have over 1 million people in their metro areas. If a small city like Buffalo, Green Bay,  Pittsburgh, or Charlotte can support a team, I fail to see why other large Canadian cities couldn't.

english si

Surely, however, there's only 32 NFL teams that they plant somewhere? If you give LA or Toronto or wherever a team, then you are taking it away from somewhere else.

Though you could double the number of teams by having a second tier, with 4th place from each top division swapping with the 1st place in the respective 2nd tier division. This also gives the drama of relegation.

1995hoo

Toronto's biggest problem is stadium size. It's simply too small (around 54,000) and it results in very high ticket prices when the Buffalo Bills play a home game there each year. Olympic Stadium in Montreal is more realistic at around 66,000 for football, but it's a terrible stadium. The Alouettes don't normally play there except for playoff games and occasional big games during the regular season.

I believe the provincial and national governments have resisted allowing American football leagues into Toronto for fear of harming the Argonauts. The World Football League back in the mid-1970s wanted to put a team in Toronto but backed down when the Trudeau Administration introduced a bill in Parliament that would have banned foreign-based football leagues from playing in Canada.

The Montreal franchise in the WLAF presumably didn't meet the same opposition because that league's schedule ran from March through June, which doesn't overlap the CFL's schedule. Compare to the original World Football League, which played a 20-game schedule from early July to mid-November, i.e. concurrent with the CFL schedule.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

texaskdog

Quote from: realjd on July 31, 2012, 10:10:17 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on July 31, 2012, 08:29:39 AM

Mike

That's not true. Calgary, Ottawa, and Edmonton all have over 1 million people in their metro areas. If a small city like Buffalo, Green Bay,  Pittsburgh, or Charlotte can support a team, I fail to see why other large Canadian cities couldn't.

Green Bay is it's own animal, Pittsburgh is successful, some of the NFL markets though like Buffalo & Jacksonville are pretty marginal.   Oddly Cities like Birmingham, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Memphis were some of the USFL's most successful, while they failed in LA & Chicago

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Hey they've got Matt Flynn at QB now, and that will certainly help things.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Alps

Quote from: english si on July 31, 2012, 10:28:22 AM
Surely, however, there's only 32 NFL teams that they plant somewhere? If you give LA or Toronto or wherever a team, then you are taking it away from somewhere else.

Though you could double the number of teams by having a second tier, with 4th place from each top division swapping with the 1st place in the respective 2nd tier division. This also gives the drama of relegation.
Problem with relegation in America is that people will only support top-tier teams with their money. (People support minor leagues, but not to the same extent, and far cheaper to get tickets.) What if you're a star and your team got relegated? It works in soccer where each town or neighborhood has a strong attachment to its own team, such that there's no switching of allegiance during relegation.
Anyway, I don't see the NFL moving into Canada beyond Toronto. Of what you mentioned, Vancouver is close to Seattle, Montreal is too French*, and other cities already have the CFL.
* Quebec just treats sports differently. They loved the Expos, but never came out after the 1994 strike-shortened season. I can't see them getting behind the NFL.

nexus73

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

texaskdog

Cleveland Browns can keep their curse after the joke of a "gap".  It's one of those cities that once a team leaves, they become good.

formulanone

College football essentially has a multi-tier system; you're either in a BCS division or not, or in a different division: FCS (old 1-A), rather than FBS (old 1-AA). Every couple of years, an FCS team jumps up to the FBS level, although it's rare to hear of a school going in the opposite direction.

texaskdog

Quote from: formulanone on August 01, 2012, 09:17:24 AM

College football essentially has a multi-tier system; you're either in a BCS division or not, or in a different division: FCS (old 1-A), rather than FBS (old 1-AA). Every couple of years, an FCS team jumps up to the FBS level, although it's rare to hear of a school going in the opposite direction.

Some FBS teams really need to drop down to the FCS.  Eastern Michigan is the best example.  Kent State and others haven't been to a bowl in years and barely avg 15,000 per game.

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

pianocello

Speaking of college football, preseason coaches' rankings are released (as if it matters at all). Looks like this will be another dominating year for the SEC.  :-/
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

texaskdog

Sounds like Florida State & USC will be the teams to beat.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.