News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyon Wonder

inkyatari

Tomorrow at 6:30 at University of St. Francis in Joliet, there's another meeting about improving I-80 through Joliet.

Moser Performing Arts Center at the University of St. Francis, 500 Wilcox Street, Joliet, 60435. Doors open at 6 p.m. and seating is limited.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Revive 755

At least one message board on I-90 near Schaumburg for the current construction on I-290 is referring to I-290 south instead of east.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 07, 2018, 10:10:47 PM
At least one message board on I-90 near Schaumburg for the current construction on I-290 is referring to I-290 south instead of east.
North/South is the direction of travel, just not the signed directions of I-290

Just renumber to I-355 and North/South is all good

inkyatari

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 07, 2018, 10:36:20 PM

That's my thinking.  290 should end at the 290 / 355 Jct, then 355 should continue north, up on the IL 53 extension, then any further 53 north of that that SHOULD get built should retain the 355 designation.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: inkyatari on August 08, 2018, 08:51:16 AM

That's my thinking.  290 should end at the 290 / 355 Jct, then 355 should continue north, up on the IL 53 extension, then any further 53 north of that that SHOULD get built should retain the 355 designation.

You could duplex them to I-90 as a short term solution.

Brandon

I-290 should be eliminated and replaced with I-355 north of Itasca (to Lake-Cook Rd), I-88 east of Hillside (to the Circle), and I-188 between the two.  Given that the freeway between the two is a right exit both ways, this also works in that regard.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

inkyatari

Quote from: Brandon on August 08, 2018, 10:33:27 AM

I-290 should be eliminated and replaced with I-355 north of Itasca (to Lake-Cook Rd), I-88 east of Hillside (to the Circle), and I-188 between the two.  Given that the freeway between the two is a right exit both ways, this also works in that regard.

I never understood why I-88 wasn't routed right to downtown.

ilpt4u

Quote from: inkyatari on August 08, 2018, 11:06:08 AM
Quote from: Brandon on August 08, 2018, 10:33:27 AM

I never understood why I-88 wasn't routed right to downtown.
Probably because what is now I-290 was I-90, and I-88 began as Toll US 30, then IL 5. The Interstate designation came later

I drove the new Meridosia  bridge yesterday. The West side of the old bridge and the deck are gone. I then headed north and took the Beardstown Bridge which is undergoing emergency repairs again. It is scheduled for replacement.

Did anyone report the cancellation of the US 30 expressway? The postings on 188 made me think of it. Morrison did not want a bypass and IDOT  dropped it. It's one of the few times they just plain dropped one instead of just letting it linger. They dropped it from the projects page.

ilpt4u

Quote from: 3467 on August 08, 2018, 06:13:45 PM
Did anyone report the cancellation of the US 30 expressway? The postings on 188 made me think of it. Morrison did not want a bypass and IDOT  dropped it. It's one of the few times they just plain dropped one instead of just letting it linger. They dropped it from the projects page.
Is this the I-88 branch freeway that was proposed to go to Clinton, IA? I thought that had been dead for years...

SSOWorld

I-88 was Illinois' answer to 65 mph speed limits on Interstates only back in 1995 (along with I-155 and I-72)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Yes. That is why the mention of 188 made me think of it. It was part of the supplementary freeway system.The tollway studied it too and a map of that was posted to AA  Roads.A study was started up about 10 years ago for an expressway. There were some floodplain issues that drug it out. When the public got a look at it it was pretty clear no one in Morrison wanted the bypass. The main support came from Iowa.Considering Iowa us only partially 4 laning and it was Iowa IDOT dropped it. IDOT also ran some traffic projections and said those no longer justified the project. They had said the same about 34 in Sandwich. They dropped that one too. Both had higher volumes than any of the other 4 lane projects that cling to life.  Those would be US 20 67 51 50 and IL 29 336 and 127.

edwaleni

Quote from: SSOWorld on August 08, 2018, 08:01:55 PM
I-88 was Illinois' answer to 65 mph speed limits on Interstates only back in 1995 (along with I-155 and I-72)

I-72 was always an interstate from Champaign to Quincy, IL and completed long before the NMSL changes.

I-155 was designed to interstate standards from the beginning and was never impacted by the speed limit changes. IDOT always knew they would apply for an interstate designation upon completion.

In fact IDOT applied for a I-37 designation and it was rejected .

The story of I-155 is a tortured one.  For years people wondered when the large flyover ramps on I-55 would be connected. It was the favorite hideout for IL state police running radar. All it took was 1 lawsuit which delayed the route by 10 years.

QuoteI-155 was built on the right-of-way of former IL 121. In the early 1960s, the department of transportation opened IL 98, an east—west, two-lane highway running west from downtown Morton to Pekin. Within a few years, the intersection of IL 98 and IL 121 would be known as the "Killer Corner," as traffic volumes increased between Springfield and Peoria on IL 121. Between when IL 98 was opened and when the corner was closed in 1989 for construction of a full interchange, 15 people were killed as a result of automobile accidents at the corner.[2] Led by key supporters–U.S. Representative Robert Michel, former Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) transportation engineer Jack Harland, and pro-freeway organization "Route 121 by '91" chairman Jim Unland–IDOT initiated plans to upgrade IL 121 to a four-lane freeway.[5] Near Hopedale, a short portion of IL 121 was reconstructed in the early 1970s to replace a bridge over the Mackinaw River. The interchange with I-55 was built, but barricaded to traffic.

In 1976, an injunction won by Peoria attorney Timothy Swain Sr. halted further construction on the highway for ten years.[1][5] The lawsuit was filed by Swain regarding the amount of right-of-way the freeway would consume on his 440-acre (178 ha) farm near Delavan. A U.S. District Court judge sided with IDOT on building the road, but the U.S. Seventh District Court of Appeals overturned the decision, forcing IDOT to rewrite its environmental impact statement regarding the Swain farm. In 1986 IDOT struck a deal with Swain, agreeing to reroute the road and take only 40 acres (16 ha) of land, ending the lawsuit and resuming construction activities.[5] A portion of the road from I-55 to Hartsburg opened on December 15, 1989, about seven miles (11 km) in length.[1] The freeway was opened in full on October 29, 1992, at a ceremony attended by Governor Jim Edgar.[2] The total cost of construction for I-155 was $130 million (equivalent to $205 million in 2016[6]).[1] Of this, $10 million was provided by federal funding (equivalent to $15.8 million in 2016[6]).[5]

Illinois initially applied for the new freeway to be designated Interstate 37, but on December 7, 1990, the request was deferred by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO), pending approval by the Federal Highway Administration to add the freeway into the Interstate System. In addition, AASHTO suggested using a three-digit number when the application was resubmitted.[7] Later, the state submitted another application to AASHTO for the freeway to be named Interstate 155. On June 9, 1991, the AASHTO application was approved and granted when I-155 was completed.[8]

Revive 755

Quote from: edwaleni on August 08, 2018, 10:40:53 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on August 08, 2018, 08:01:55 PM

I-72 was always an interstate from Champaign to Quincy, IL and completed long before the NMSL changes.

The freeway between Springfield and Quincy was signed as US 36 and IL 336 prior to having I-72 extended west and I-172 designated.

inkyatari

The Toll Bridge over the Des Plaines river at Houbolt / Hollywood Rd. near Joliet is going to happen, as well asa DDI at Houbolt / Hollywood and I- 80, with an expected completion date of 2021.  Centerpoint properties is going to pick up the tab for the toll bridge.

https://www.wjol.com/two-projects-unveiled-to-relieve-truck-traffic-around-centerpoint-in-joliet/

Unless truck traffic is forced to use the toll bridge, I don't see it being heavily used.  25 years ago, the Illiana should have been built along the Laraway Rd. corridor.  This would have solved most of the area's traffic problems.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: inkyatari on August 15, 2018, 09:32:11 AM
The Toll Bridge over the Des Plaines river at Houbolt / Hollywood Rd. near Joliet is going to happen, as well asa DDI at Houbolt / Hollywood and I- 80, with an expected completion date of 2021.  Centerpoint properties is going to pick up the tab for the toll bridge.

https://www.wjol.com/two-projects-unveiled-to-relieve-truck-traffic-around-centerpoint-in-joliet/

Unless truck traffic is forced to use the toll bridge, I don't see it being heavily used.  25 years ago, the Illiana should have been built along the Laraway Rd. corridor.  This would have solved most of the area's traffic problems.

will the IL tollway run it? or some 3rd party and if it's an 3rd party will they be forced to use I-pass?

inkyatari

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on August 15, 2018, 04:02:55 PM

will the IL tollway run it? or some 3rd party and if it's an 3rd party will they be forced to use I-pass?

Centerpoint Logistics is going to run it, from what I understand.

abefroman329

I realize it's not the point, but I've read articles in high school newspapers that were written better than this one.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: abefroman329 on August 15, 2018, 09:17:32 PM

I realize it's not the point, but I've read articles in high school newspapers that were written better than this one.

Seconded.

IL-53 from I-80 to Laraway is a troubled nightmare because of the insufficient design and because of the trucks destroying the stretch of road.  Truckers are going to use it.  In fact, road agencies may force them to.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

ET21

Looks like hopefully we're getting a resurfacing after all. Parts of the shoulder from Harlem Ave to the I-190 ramps are being torn up along the Kennedy (I-90). Please let it be the whole road, it's in dire need of a resurface from the JCT to the 190 split
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: ET21 on August 22, 2018, 12:42:21 PM
Looks like hopefully we're getting a resurfacing after all. Parts of the shoulder from Harlem Ave to the I-190 ramps are being torn up along the Kennedy (I-90). Please let it be the whole road, it's in dire need of a resurface from the JCT to the 190 split
so they starting the widening work on other side now.

ET21

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on August 22, 2018, 03:04:08 PM
Quote from: ET21 on August 22, 2018, 12:42:21 PM
so they starting the widening work on other side now.

Possibly, the website is outdated on the project (says it still needs funding). But found some of the bigger points for westbound I-90:

Westbound I-90

Addition of an auxiliary lane between Canfield Road and Harlem Avenue
Construction of a new westbound Collector-Distributer (CD) roadway just west of Canfield Road that provides access to and from Cumberland Avenue and access to westbound I-190.
Ramp modifications at Cumberland Avenue, Canfield Road, and Harlem Avenue interchanges to tie into the widened mainline pavement.
Construction of six new retaining walls and repairs to five existing retaining walls.
Reconstruction of the existing retaining wall at the westbound Canfield Road exit ramp due to a realignment of the ramp.
Resurfacing of westbound mainline I-90 from I-190 to Harlem Avenue

Noise Wall Contract

Construction of eight noise walls between Cumberland Avenue and Harlem Avenue on both sides of I-90.
Resurfacing of frontage roads (Higgins Road from east of Cumberland Avenue to N. Oriole Avenue, and W. Bryn Mawr Avenue from N. Oriole Avenue to N. Harlem Avenue.)

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

inkyatari

Quote from: ET21 on August 23, 2018, 09:03:47 AM

Possibly, the website is outdated on the project

Every Illinois state website is outdated.  There's a lot of projects not mentioned on IDOT's website, and don't get me started on the IDNR list of park closures website.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.