News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slorydn1

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 03, 2018, 03:24:18 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on April 03, 2018, 02:22:45 PM
Ran across this article that has historical facts about the interstate system in Illinois: http://www.nwherald.com/2018/03/27/illinois-at-heart-of-the-u-s-interstate-system/akahmlo/

"Since the completion of I-39 in 1992, Illinois has seen only one new interstate: the 9/10ths of a mile I-41 in Lake County."

This is incorrect, I-355 from I-55 to I-80 definitely opened after 1992, and (I think) the original section, from Army-Trail Road to I-55, opened after I-39.

I am not sure exactly when I-39 opened, but the original I-355 segment from Army Trail to I-55 opened before I left the NW Suburbs to move to NC at the end of 1990. I drove it once in both directions not long after if first opened, just to say I "clinched" it. I want to say it was there for about a year or so before I moved, but that was so long ago that I can't really say for sure.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Brandon

Quote from: slorydn1 on June 14, 2018, 01:53:55 AM
Ran across this article that has historical facts about the interstate system in Illinois: http://www.nwherald.com/2018/03/27/illinois-at-heart-of-the-u-s-interstate-system/akahmlo/

"Since the completion of I-39 in 1992, Illinois has seen only one new interstate: the 9/10ths of a mile I-41 in Lake County."

This is incorrect, I-355 from I-55 to I-80 definitely opened after 1992, and (I think) the original section, from Army-Trail Road to I-55, opened after I-39.

I am not sure exactly when I-39 opened, but the original I-355 segment from Army Trail to I-55 opened before I left the NW Suburbs to move to NC at the end of 1990. I drove it once in both directions not long after if first opened, just to say I "clinched" it. I want to say it was there for about a year or so before I moved, but that was so long ago that I can't really say for sure.

The original segment of I-35, I-55 to Army Trail, opened December 24, 1989.  I-39 was completed afterward between Bloomington and LaSalle.  However, I-39 was designated in 1987-88 along with I-88.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

slorydn1

Quote from: Brandon on June 14, 2018, 05:49:02 AM

The original segment of I-35, I-55 to Army Trail, opened December 24, 1989.  I-39 was completed afterward between Bloomington and LaSalle.  However, I-39 was designated in 1987-88 along with I-88.

I guess my recollection wasn't that far off then, I left Chicagoland on December 18th 1990.

It's funny, I actually remember IL-5 becoming I-88, but I didn't know anything of I-39 until I was perusing a Rand McNally atlas in my bathroom sometime in the mid 90's. I rarely looked at the full Illinois map, I usually stuck to the detailed Chicago area map page so yes I-39 was quite the shock pre-internet.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

SEWIGuy

Quote from: slorydn1 on June 15, 2018, 02:58:47 AM

I guess my recollection wasn't that far off then, I left Chicagoland on December 18th 1990.

It's funny, I actually remember IL-5 becoming I-88, but I didn't know anything of I-39 until I was perusing a Rand McNally atlas in my bathroom sometime in the mid 90's. I rarely looked at the full Illinois map, I usually stuck to the detailed Chicago area map page so yes I-39 was quite the shock pre-internet.

I had the same thought when I saw I-43 between Green Bay and Milwaukee for the first time.

Also in the late 1980s, a friend gave me a ride home to Madison from Central Wisconsin, and she used the new US-51 freeway between Stevens Point and Portage.  I had no idea they were even building a freeway there! 

Henry

I-41 should not count, as it's basically grafted onto I-94 from the border to Milwaukee.

But sure, I was also surprised to see I-39, I-43 and I-88 in a new atlas that I just bought; at that time, I was already at UCLA. A few years later, I got an even bigger shock when I-73/I-74 in NC and I-99 in PA showed up, and I thought that this was just a cruel joke the publishers were playing on me, until I realized that they actually existed.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

GeekJedi

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 15, 2018, 09:42:57 AM
I had the same thought when I saw I-43 between Green Bay and Milwaukee for the first time.

Also in the late 1980s, a friend gave me a ride home to Madison from Central Wisconsin, and she used the new US-51 freeway between Stevens Point and Portage.  I had no idea they were even building a freeway there! 

The shock for me was when they changed WI-15 to I-43. I was living in Waukesha and in High School, and one day WI-15 "became" an interstate. I had no idea it was coming!

I do remember a bit later when they raised the speed limit to 65. One of the radio stations in Milwaukee did a bit where they advertised that WisDOT was asking for people to make "6"'s to put on all the speed limit signs. :-D

I apologize for the thread derailment - this just triggered a memory...
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

Rick Powell

I-39 was opened in segments. Generally from Rockford to the south. I was at the IL River Bridge opening in 1987, all I remember was that it was a very cold day. Traffic was detoured onto US 51 at Oglesby, then what the locals called the "Missing 51" - it was US 51, and 51 miles of non-interstate to Bloomington-Normal.  Also was at the opening of I-39 from Mendota to the north, I think it was 1984 or so. Gov. Thompson was at both events. The section between Oglesby and B-N was first open to around Lostant in the early 1990s, and then the full length opened in 1992...right as I was ending grad school at U of I. I-39 shaved about 20 minutes off my trips from Ottawa to U of I even though it was back-tracking for me.

I drove 80 and then Illinois 5 a lot in the 80s. The 80 to 90 sections of 39 were built as part of Big Jims big capital Bill of the early 80s where he tried to figure out what segments of the supplemental freeway system would be built. The 80 to 55 segment was in a second capital bill.I was really surprised how quickly it became 39. It was 1985 right after it opened and before the final segment was officially approved. It met interstate requirements then connecting 80 to 90. 55 and Wisconsin were added a little later and 88 was shortly thereafter because of the federal speed limit law. It took longer to get the 72 designation.

edwaleni

Quote from: 3467 on June 15, 2018, 08:26:27 PM
I drove 80 and then Illinois 5 a lot in the 80s. The 80 to 90 sections of 39 were built as part of Big Jims big capital Bill of the early 80s where he tried to figure out what segments of the supplemental freeway system would be built. The 80 to 55 segment was in a second capital bill.I was really surprised how quickly it became 39. It was 1985 right after it opened and before the final segment was officially approved. It met interstate requirements then connecting 80 to 90. 55 and Wisconsin were added a little later and 88 was shortly thereafter because of the federal speed limit law. It took longer to get the 72 designation.

I remember after the Lincoln Bridge opened over the IL River to get I-39 down to Oglesby, cant tell you how many accidents I witnessed on US51 to Lostant. Always trucks hitting cars.

Also we got to experience the "Wenona Weave" where I-39 was co-located on US51. Construction had you shifting way over to go under the new bridges and then back over to old ROW.

But the real buster was how long it took the contractor to get the bridge done over the Mackinaw River at Kappa. I would drive by on the old bridge next to it and it was like snails pace in progress. In wintertime, even slower.

I-39 was preferred on the Sunday night return to Chicago. On holiday weekends, if there was an accident on I-55 between Bloomington and Joliet, forget about it. Even without an accident, return traffic up I-55 after 6pm would get bad.  So I would check traffic reports before I reached Bloomington and if they were as expected, I just went up I-39. Yep, it was more miles total but much less hassle reaching the west suburbs.

As for Big Jim and his capital projects, I can tell you that parts of I-39 were paid for with funds he looted from the US50 buildout to freeway standards from O'Fallon (I-64) to Carlyle.

That is why there are so many ghost bridges, ramps and pavement there.

Lyon Wonder

New bridge across the Illinois River at Meredosia is supposed to open this Tuesday.

https://www.myjournalcourier.com/news/article/Meredosia-bridge-set-to-open-Tuesday-13001339.php

edwaleni

captkirk_4

News said US51 is buckling in Dewitt County, wonder what condition the road is in? Noticed it seemed pretty old and beat up in one of the stretches between Clinton and Decatur although the report says the buckling is between Clinton and Heyworth.

paulthemapguy

US30 eastbound in Joliet will be closed crossing the river, until sometime in September.  You can still clinch it going westbound, though.
https://patch.com/illinois/joliet/joliet-bridge-now-closed-least-2-months
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Brandon

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 09, 2018, 07:02:04 PM
US30 eastbound in Joliet will be closed crossing the river, until sometime in September.  You can still clinch it going westbound, though.
https://patch.com/illinois/joliet/joliet-bridge-now-closed-least-2-months

The detour from Center Street is posted to use Pleasant Street to get to McDonough and cross the river.  Saturday, some agency, I don't know which one, decided in its infinite wisdom to close off the Pleasant Street ramp from Center Street so one could not follow the detour.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Crash_It

Quote from: captkirk_4 on July 09, 2018, 08:19:21 AM
News said US51 is buckling in Dewitt County, wonder what condition the road is in? Noticed it seemed pretty old and beat up in one of the stretches between Clinton and Decatur although the report says the buckling is between Clinton and Heyworth.
My guess is that it'll likely be resurfaced this year or next. Unusual for IL to have long stretches of decayed pavement. Now IN and WI, that's a whole 'nother story.

Brandon

Quote from: Crash_It on July 09, 2018, 10:01:44 PM
My guess is that it'll likely be resurfaced this year or next. Unusual for IL to have long stretches of decayed pavement. Now IN and WI, that's a whole 'nother story.

Unusual?  Try driving I-55 or I-80.  A very long stretch of decayed pavement is the norm on both.

inkyatari

Quote from: Brandon on July 10, 2018, 05:45:15 AM

Unusual?  Try driving I-55 or I-80.  A very long stretch of decayed pavement is the norm on both.

Quoted for great truth!
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

edwaleni

Agreed. Many of the US-66 stretches of I-55 that were conversions are falling apart. Much of I-55 built to standard after 1980 is still hanging in there.

US50 from the Red Skelton Bridge to Olney was in really bad shape a few years ago. Especially around Lawrenceville.

I-64 between O'Fallon east to the IL-127 exit was in bumpy shape but they are currently building a new section for ramps to Scott AFB.

paulthemapguy

Anything on the outer fringes of District 1 is doomed to extensive neglect.  Even at age 12, I was noticing that state roads in Will County were completely dismal.  District 1 is too busy paying attention to areas closer to the urban core to spend even a little bit of money out here.  Richards Street is a good example of a state route totally neglected...and when IDOT decided to pay attention to it, they provide a mere pittance toward an overlay when the road needs a complete reconstruction from the subgrade up.  US30 in Plainfield was widened 15 years too late, I-80 and I-55 are trash, etc.  I bet the northern fringes are largely neglected as well up in Lake and McHenry Counties.

inkyatari

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 12, 2018, 11:20:29 PM

Anything on the outer fringes of District 1 is doomed to extensive neglect.  Even at age 12, I was noticing that state roads in Will County were completely dismal.  District 1 is too busy paying attention to areas closer to the urban core to spend even a little bit of money out here.  Richards Street is a good example of a state route totally neglected...and when IDOT decided to pay attention to it, they provide a mere pittance toward an overlay when the road needs a complete reconstruction from the subgrade up.  US30 in Plainfield was widened 15 years too late, I-80 and I-55 are trash, etc.  I bet the northern fringes are largely neglected as well up in Lake and McHenry Counties.

Richards street isn't a state route. Do you mean Chicago street which is IL-53?

paulthemapguy

Quote from: inkyatari on July 13, 2018, 08:44:54 AM

Surprise!  It actually is an unmarked state route.  Check out Will County's system map, which shows all state-maintained roads in green (click to download):  https://www.willcountyillinois.com/County-Offices/Economic-Development/Division-of-Transportation/Highway-System-Construction-Projects/FileId/4102

If you look at the signs along the road, they all have tiny IDOT logos too.  So now you know who to complain about regarding a whole bunch of other shoddy roads, too  :-D

inkyatari

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 13, 2018, 09:52:08 AM

Surprise!  It actually is an unmarked state route.  Check out Will County's system map, which shows all state-maintained roads in green (click to download):  https://www.willcountyillinois.com/County-Offices/Economic-Development/Division-of-Transportation/Highway-System-Construction-Projects/FileId/4102

If you look at the signs along the road, they all have tiny IDOT logos too.  So now you know who to complain about regarding a whole bunch of other shoddy roads, too  :-D

I did not realize Illinois had unmarked state routes.

I learned something today.

BTW, that's a great map.  Is there one like that for Grundy county?  where would I look for that?

paulthemapguy

Quote from: inkyatari on July 13, 2018, 10:43:29 AM
I did not realize Illinois had unmarked state routes.

I learned something today.

BTW, that's a great map.  Is there one like that for Grundy county?  where would I look for that?

Check the individual county highway maps at the website for each county DOT or highway department.  The Chicagoland counties all have really helpful maps which help readers differentiate which roads are maintained by whom.  Some counties have great maps available to the public, but a lot of counties, especially in rural areas, do not.  It might be nice to put together a listing (in this thread or a separate one) of where on the internet to find all the good county maps in IL.  I know that Kane, Lake, Cook, and Grundy all have good ones.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 12, 2018, 11:20:29 PM

You pretty much nailed it! Also, add Western Kane County to that as well.

Crash_It

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 13, 2018, 09:52:08 AM

Actually, the state routes here in Lake county are in good to excellent shape, and the ones that aren't are currently under construction or scheduled to be under construction within the next year or so. Unmarked state routes (learned this recently too) are of a lower priority as they usually only connect to a marked state route or an interstate and are often much shorter in length.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.