News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

E78 Galleria della Guinza Tunnel

Started by X99, May 15, 2019, 10:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

X99

This tunnel was supposed to four-lane the E78 across the Appennines, but from what I've heard only one tube was finished. The eastern end of both tunnels is easily visible, but the western end is nearly impossible to find. I think it may be just northeast of Cantone, but I can't be sure. Where is the west end of the tunnel?
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

Chris

mgk920

Seeing as I cannot read Italian, what is the story and prognosis on this one?

Mike

kphoger

Quote from: mgk920 on May 16, 2019, 10:12:14 AM
Seeing as I cannot read Italian, what is the story and prognosis on this one?

Open it in Chrome, then click on the [Translate] button.   ;-)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

X99

Since the first tube is done, they could make that portion of the route a two-lane road until they can carve the second tunnel, but instead it remains abandoned. You finished one half of the easier route- why not use it?
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

Chris

An EU directive (DIRECTIVE 2004/54/EC) regulates that longer tunnels require an escape route. This may either be a stand-alone escape tube, or a second traffic tube. So a single tube tunnel with no escape tube is not allowed.

This was implemented after a couple of disastrous tunnel fires with high fatality counts in the Alps in the late 1990s and early 2000s. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.