News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Quote from: hotdogPi on Today at 12:06:33 PM...

I'm "1". ...

One of the more underrated tracks on Quadrophenia, IMO.
Mountain West / US 50 Bridge Failure Between G...
Last post by thenetwork - Today at 08:19:02 PM
https://maps.app.goo.gl/2egZ9qEM852YaE3k6

The US-50 Bridge over Blue Mesa Reservoir is now closed "until further notice" due to a routine inspection which found "multiple cracks" in the bridge structure.

This is the only road that connects Gunnison and Montrose.

At this time the only way around this is either via US-285/US-24/I-70 to the north or CO-149/US-160/US-550 to the south.  Either detour will add "multiple hours" to drive time, depending on one's destination.

As it is early spring, the handful of local dirt roads are either still closed for the season or are still impassable for most vehicles (mud season).
Mountain West / Re: New Mexico
Last post by Max Rockatansky - Today at 07:40:07 PM
Arizona does the same thing during long resurfacing projects on I-40.  They'll close a lane over a fairly lengthy section and just leave it that way until finished.  Typically the posted construction limit tended to be 45 MPH in both states. 

All the same, it probably is more worth your time to keep in mind they New Mexico isn't really what many of us consider "top shelf" in terms of maintenance and practices.  Seems to me like a waste of time for an out of state resident to draft a complaint letter than will just ended up a figurative black hole.  I'm sure the average NMDOT worker absolutely loves hearing what Californians think of their agency.
Mountain West / Re: New Mexico
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 07:22:48 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 17, 2024, 09:26:59 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 17, 2024, 09:26:08 PMOh, man, oh man.... did I mention that NMDOT needs to get their shit together? They had a lane of I 40 closed With no construction workers and nothing going on at five p m. That was heading westbound on I 40 near tucumcari. It caused about a five mile back up. Fortunately, I was heading eastbound. But that is ridiculous. New mexico really just doesn't give a fuck.

There are various legit reasons for a work zone to be empty...

This and NMDOT needing to get their shit together can both be true.
General Highway Talk / Re: Roads that you have been o...
Last post by Jim - Today at 07:22:32 PM
I'd traveled many of the ones mentioned already (Key Bridge, I-95 Philadelphia, I-35W, YNP North Entrance) but I'll add the one that hit closest to home - the Thruway bridge over the Schoharie Creek that collapsed in 1987.  Detours went through Amsterdam, and right by the pet shop I worked part time at on Route 5.  I can distinctly remember going to see it from the overpass up the hill east of there and being amazed at both the empty road below and of course the giant section missing.
Southeast / Re: Alabama to Buy Foley Beach...
Last post by froggie - Today at 07:12:46 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on Today at 02:03:52 PMSince there already is an AL 161 between AL 182 and AL 180 in Orange Beach, I assume the Foley Beach Express and the Baldwin Beach Express will simply become an extension of AL 161.

Or, instead of just assuming, you could could read the article Hemi linked to that confirms such will actually be the case...
Southeast / Re: Alabama
Last post by froggie - Today at 07:09:26 PM
The better question:  what magical pot of new money is ALDOT going to use to maintain all of their new responsibilities?  It's not like they're flush with cash...even if they drop some other routes as Alex implies.  4-lane roads and big bridges inherently cost more than 2-lane country roads...
General Highway Talk / Re: Roads that you have been o...
Last post by SectorZ - Today at 06:41:44 PM
I've been on a few bridges that got significantly damaged or destroyed in flash flooding around New England. Nothing that people beyond locals would remember years later. This includes one only a few miles away that was partially washed away after 12+ inches of rain over two weeks in March 2010.

Also was on the Key Bridge back in 2019.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Indiana Notes
Last post by ITB - Today at 06:20:10 PM
INDOT has had another fail trying to award a major construction contract. Yesterday the bids were opened for the reconstruction and widening of I-70 in Wayne County. Two bids were received from: (1) a Walsh/Crider & Crider joint venture, and (2) a Milestone Constructors/E & B Paving joint venture.

Although the Walsh/Crider JV's $409,125,904.12 bid was slightly lower than Milesone/E & B Paving's $412,696,441.00, both bids were officially rejected April 18th due to being over the engineer's estimate.

This is now the second time recently INDOT has been unable to award a large contract due to bids being over the engineer's estimate. The first was for the reconstruction and widening of I-65 in Scott County. Something is not quite right here. Construction costs have gone up significantly over the past two and three years. The bids for the I-70 project came from experienced firms, and the bids were relatively close to each other. INDOT needs to take a hard look at its cost estimating process. Maybe a third party should be brought in to validate the official estimates for contracts $100 million and above. For every month that passes, these large projects will only get more expensive to bring to fruition.

Indiana Department of Transportation
Southeast / Re: Tennessee
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 05:52:12 PM
I see Google Street view captured some of the construction at Crump Blvd. as of last Summer Crump Blvd was closed east of the cloverleaf with I55 SB sharing the loop with NB I-55 creating a counterclockwise turn.

Plus piers are seen for the new I-55 alignment as well that will use the SW quadrant of that exchange.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.