News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Too many traffic lights?

Started by Duke87, August 14, 2009, 09:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Red rest = asking for red light running, especially when traffic levels are low. Red running = higher risk of accidents. They'd better do a green rest on the through road.

Bryant5493

I've seen green rest. When the traffic on the side street approaches the junction, the light will change simultaneously, then change back.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

rawmustard

Quote from: Chris on August 26, 2009, 12:55:21 PM
Red rest = asking for red light running, especially when traffic levels are low. Red running = higher risk of accidents. They'd better do a green rest on the through road.

When a signal is at red rest, it immediately executes a phase when a call is placed for that phase. Red rest can only happen when servicable calls are absent from all the detectors. The only chance of a collision would be from two conflicting approaches barreling towards their respective red lights, where one would get the green (i.e., the drivers aren't preparing to stop at a red like they should).

Michael

Quote from: Master son on August 26, 2009, 10:32:43 AM
I've come across a traffic light that - when no traffic is present, every direction has red lights  :confused: :pan:

Fail.

Duke87

QuoteRed rest = asking for red light running, especially when traffic levels are low. Red running = higher risk of accidents. They'd better do a green rest on the through road.

The idea is that you put the loops or video detection spots far enough in advance of the signal that the light turns green before the driver would normally hit their brakes to stop. If you have a rest in red signal where a car actually has to come nearly or actually to a stop before the light changes, it's designed improperly.

So, red light running is a non-issue if it's done correctly.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.