New Mexico - should logo signs be installed on Albuquerque freeways?

Started by Pink Jazz, September 09, 2015, 10:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rte66man

Quote from: Pink Jazz on August 24, 2017, 11:14:12 AM
Quote from: rte66man on August 24, 2017, 08:23:39 AM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on August 16, 2017, 11:17:20 PM
Sorry to bump, but New Mexico's logo sign contract is currently up for bid.  According to the RFP document, there are provisions to place logo signs at urban and suburban interchanges where spacing allows.

Also, the RFP document requires that in the new contract that NMDOT receives a minimum of $730,000 of revenue from the program per year, increased from the minimum of $500,000 per year in the existing contract.

How much does New Mexico charge each business for the logo?

Current rates are $850 per direction annually if below 30,000 AADT, and $1200 per direction annually if above 30,000 AADT.  Rates include both mainline and ramp signage.

Are there rules as to how close the business has to be to the interchange?  IMO, they shouldn't be allowed to advertise if they are more than a mile from the interchange in question, even less in urban areas. 
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

kkt

Quote from: rte66man on August 31, 2017, 11:53:11 AM
Sorry to bump, but New Mexico's logo sign contract is currently up for bid.  According to the RFP document, there are provisions to place logo signs at urban and suburban interchanges where spacing allows.

Also, the RFP document requires that in the new contract that NMDOT receives a minimum of $730,000 of revenue from the program per year, increased from the minimum of $500,000 per year in the existing contract.

Current rates are $850 per direction annually if below 30,000 AADT, and $1200 per direction annually if above 30,000 AADT.  Rates include both mainline and ramp signage.

Are there rules as to how close the business has to be to the interchange?  IMO, they shouldn't be allowed to advertise if they are more than a mile from the interchange in question, even less in urban areas. 

I agree that there should be rules, but if you're the only gas for 50 miles I'd like to see signs even if it's 5 miles off the highway.  Maybe with a distance away, and if they're open 24 hours.

Pink Jazz

New Mexico uses an incremental system based on 3 mile increments up to 15 miles, where if any eligible business is located within the incremental range, other businesses beyond that range will not qualify.  For example, if there are no eligible businesses within 3 miles but there are within 6 miles, then 6 miles is the limit for all businesses for that exit.

roadfro

Quote from: Pink Jazz on August 31, 2017, 05:01:54 PM

New Mexico uses an incremental system based on 3 mile increments up to 15 miles, where if any eligible business is located within the incremental range, other businesses beyond that range will not qualify.  For example, if there are no eligible businesses within 3 miles but there are within 6 miles, then 6 miles is the limit for all businesses for that exit.

Based on what Pink Jazz said, New Mexico's policy mirrors the specific service standards and guidelines set in the 2009 MUTCD. Except for 24-hour pharmacies, the range can be extended in 3 mile increments (out to 15) for a particular type of service at an interchange.

I think that lower tiers should be applied. Having a 1-mile, 2-mile and 3-mile increment at first, then extending in 3-mile increments would be better.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: roadfro on September 01, 2017, 10:30:56 AM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on August 31, 2017, 05:01:54 PM

Based on what Pink Jazz said, New Mexico's policy mirrors the specific service standards and guidelines set in the 2009 MUTCD. Except for 24-hour pharmacies, the range can be extended in 3 mile increments (out to 15) for a particular type of service at an interchange.

I think that lower tiers should be applied. Having a 1-mile, 2-mile and 3-mile increment at first, then extending in 3-mile increments would be better.

New Mexico's program does not include 24-hour pharmacies.

Arizona's rules are similar, although they set the lowest tier for Camping to 5 miles.  Also, Arizona does allow some businesses beyond the incremental range to sign up if there is available space on the sign, however, those within the range have priority.

Pink Jazz

I just read through the updated RFP document, and one thing that NMDOT is requiring in this new contract is for the contractor to provide a reduced fee for small businesses.  This should encourage participation of smaller non-chain businesses in the program.

Pink Jazz

The bidding has closed as of September 12.  It will be interesting to know which companies have bid for the new contract.  I am pretty sure there was a bid from the existing contractor New Mexico Logos, Inc, but I wonder what other companies have bid.

mwb1848

As with all signage in New Mexico, logo signs are a bit of a crap shoot in the Land of Enchantment.

Once, while trekking north on I-25 toward Albuquerque, I was ready for a bite to eat in Truth of Consequences.

Aware of a McDonald's on I-25 at Exit 79 (the north end of the Business Loop), I was surprised to see a McDonald's logo sign at Exit 75 (the south end of the Business Loop).

https://goo.gl/maps/wXPgL1zgDJQ2

"Oh, wow," I thought. "Let's check out this new McDonald's on the south side of town because, surely, even in New Mexico, they wouldn't allow the logo to be placed at such a location as to require you to exit four miles south of your destination and wind your way through Downtown to get to a restaurant you can literally see from the interstate four miles later."

As I descended the ramp, I was greeted with this sign (https://goo.gl/maps/DPs5nnXgobD2) confirming my worst suspicions.

Incredulous, I drove on. "Surely, there's something I'm missing. Surely. Surely!"

Twenty minutes later, after driving almost all of the I-25 business loop through Downtown and only a few hundred yards short of returning to mainline I-25, I arrived at this McDonalds.

https://goo.gl/maps/MLmXoYErdF52

So, my vote is no. Based strictly on past performance.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.