News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Borderless Burger King Logo

Started by roadman65, September 10, 2019, 10:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Has the new round sign yet made it to your area? https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/48650518323/in/photostream It has in my part of Florida and in parts of Texas.  How about your area?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

renegade

Not a new logo.  There's a sign just like that one along the freeway adjacent to an interchange in my area, and it's been there for years.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Max Rockatansky

Been out this way for awhile.  The one I find not pleasing to eye is the white Taco Bell logo.  It looks sun bleached from afar.

kevinb1994

I've seen it already and it looks like someone took a knife to the old logo for reasons I am unsure of.

Scott5114

Wait, people are complaining about cutouts on AARoads now?! Did I enter a parallel universe?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

Around here, the "cut out" variant seems most popular when placed on the restaurant itself, but the variant with the background is still standard for overhead signage except when the restaurant is brand-new.

roadman65

Cut out.                Hey I like that one.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ozarkman417

The BK logo just looks strange without the blue outline.

tolbs17

No, and I hope we don't get a sign that looks like that.

Scott5114

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 10, 2019, 11:39:28 PM
The BK logo just looks strange without the blue outline.

The blue outline is still there, it's just not on a white square.

Quote from: jakeroot on September 10, 2019, 05:33:10 PM
Around here, the "cut out" variant seems most popular when placed on the restaurant itself, but the variant with the background is still standard for overhead signage except when the restaurant is brand-new.

Having managed a Burger King, I'm fairly sure there's no standard when it comes to background or no, it's just whatever is considered more practical or preferred by the franchisee. From what I remember reading of the BK Ops manual 10 years ago there is no stipulation from corporate on that. You may just have noticed a bunch of signs that all look the same way because they are all owned by the same franchisee.

My BK (#10399, now closed) looked really odd because it used to be a Shoney's. (We had a deck! And wood paneling on the inside!) We had the white square background sign, but the building signage was printed on a red light-up awning. If I remember correctly, we never bothered to update it from the '90s logo either (where the text was level and there was no blue wrapper around the burger).

briantroutman

As I understand it, the sign cabinet (i.e., the metal box which holds the translucent sign faces) is the most expensive piece of typical backlit signage installation.

Because of that, it's not uncommon for companies to keep their logos the same general shape when they're redesigned. Fairly recent examples include the redesigns of Days Inn, Super 8, and Taco Bell.

And where the logo's shape changes, the parent company will generally devise a plan to adapt the old signage structures to the new design–such as the case with Burger King, where the rounded square cabinet originally housed the old, squarer "bun halves"  logo (like this). Jack in the Box, for instance, has adapted its newer logo on its cube-shaped cabinets that have held at least four earlier generations of signage going back to the '50s or '60s.

Rothman

I still prefer the old logo before the blue swoosh.  Big red letters between a bun.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

LM117

Quote from: briantroutman on September 11, 2019, 11:13:28 AMBecause of that, it's not uncommon for companies to keep their logos the same general shape when they're redesigned. Fairly recent examples include the redesigns of Days Inn, Super 8, and Taco Bell

The new Taco Bell logo sucks.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Scott5114

Quote from: briantroutman on September 11, 2019, 11:13:28 AM
such as the case with Burger King, where the rounded square cabinet originally housed the old, squarer "bun halves"  logo (like this).

There were actually two versions of the bun halves logo–that one is the older one. There was a newer one that was essentially the same but the typeface cleaned up, used from 1994 to 1999:

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 11, 2019, 06:01:51 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on September 11, 2019, 11:13:28 AM
such as the case with Burger King, where the rounded square cabinet originally housed the old, squarer "bun halves"  logo (like this).

There were actually two versions of the bun halves logo–that one is the older one. There was a newer one that was essentially the same but the typeface cleaned up, used from 1994 to 1999:

Hungry Jack's in Australia still use the old school Burger King logo style. https://www.hungryjacks.com.au/home 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungry_Jack's

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: LM117 on September 11, 2019, 01:24:48 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on September 11, 2019, 11:13:28 AMBecause of that, it's not uncommon for companies to keep their logos the same general shape when they're redesigned. Fairly recent examples include the redesigns of Days Inn, Super 8, and Taco Bell

The new Taco Bell logo sucks.

Taco Bell ain't winning the Franchise Wars with that new logo...what will people in 2032 San Angeles eat?

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 11, 2019, 03:06:21 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 10, 2019, 05:33:10 PM

Having managed a Burger King, I'm fairly sure there's no standard when it comes to background or no, it's just whatever is considered more practical or preferred by the franchisee. From what I remember reading of the BK Ops manual 10 years ago there is no stipulation from corporate on that. You may just have noticed a bunch of signs that all look the same way because they are all owned by the same franchisee.

My BK (#10399, now closed) looked really odd because it used to be a Shoney's. (We had a deck! And wood paneling on the inside!) We had the white square background sign, but the building signage was printed on a red light-up awning. If I remember correctly, we never bothered to update it from the '90s logo either (where the text was level and there was no blue wrapper around the burger).

Did further research...you are correct. There is no rhyme or reason for when and where the certain types of signs are used. There is another BK that was remodeled in Federal Way, WA about a year ago, and it received the new cut-out logo at all locations, primarily because the parking-lot sign was replaced, unlike my last example.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: Rothman on September 11, 2019, 11:22:45 AM
I still prefer the old logo before the blue swoosh.  Big red letters between a bun.

No matter what any one does to convince, the old Super 8 logo was 100% unequivocally better.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.