News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

It's time to revive the northern half of I-840

Started by I-39, July 21, 2015, 07:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Fiddler

Indeed.  From most to least utilized, the spokes are:

I-24 E, and it stays overcrowded all the way to I-75 in Chattanooga
I-65 N, and it stays overcrowded to the Kentucky line, where they've 6 lanes it
I-65 S, it's heavy until TN 96 Franklin, MAYBE Saturn Parkway, then it dies down a lot
I-40 E, it's heaviest to Lebanon, but stays busy all the way to I-81
I-40 W, it is really not that busy for local traffic past Charlotte Pike usually, mostly long-distance
I-24 W: almost no traffic, completely opposite of I-24 E

sparker

Quote from: Daniel Fiddler on August 28, 2021, 05:47:26 PM
Indeed.  From most to least utilized, the spokes are:

I-24 E, and it stays overcrowded all the way to I-75 in Chattanooga
I-65 N, and it stays overcrowded to the Kentucky line, where they've 6 lanes it
I-65 S, it's heavy until TN 96 Franklin, MAYBE Saturn Parkway, then it dies down a lot
I-40 E, it's heaviest to Lebanon, but stays busy all the way to I-81
I-40 W, it is really not that busy for local traffic past Charlotte Pike usually, mostly long-distance
I-24 W: almost no traffic, completely opposite of I-24 E

Right.  The perennial issue with the underutilized I-24 corridor NW of Nashville is the fact that isn't part of a particularly useful commercial corridor to anywhere except St. Louis.  Chicago and environs, the "800-pound-gorilla" of commercial origin/destination points in the upper Midwest, really doesn't have a completely direct route to Chattanooga and, of course, Atlanta and Florida beyond that; the I-57/24 combination just adds too much mileage due to the lateral/E-W section in KY.  Truckers use I-65 because it's there and the "best of a bad lot" for that purpose -- and because of that, there's plenty of truck-related amenities situated along that corridor.  Venturing into the fictional realm for a second or two, an upgraded corridor more or less along US 41 via Terre Haute connecting I-69 and Evansville with either I-65 or I-57 near Chicago might, via I-69/169 in KY, provide such a direct connection; it would be a safe guess that the commercial traffic level on the aforementioned section of I-24 would increase dramatically.  Hell, truck tolls could even help pay for the I-69 Ohio River bridge project!   

I-55

The Northeast link would exist if the TN-109 speed limit wasn't set at 55. It should be 65 in most places.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.