Regional Boards > Mid-South

Austin: IH 35 rebuild

<< < (2/31) > >>

longhorn:
Look at the I-35/290 interchange, see how wide 35 is there as an idea of how many lanes wide 35 could be from the lake to the south.

Chris:
What are 'managed lanes' if they are not tolled? Just general purpose lanes with a truck ban? The whole idea of 'managed lanes' is that toll rates would manage demand and thereby traffic flow. If there is no tolling involved, how are they managing it?

US 89:

--- Quote from: Chris on April 27, 2019, 02:29:23 PM ---What are 'managed lanes' if they are not tolled? Just general purpose lanes with a truck ban? The whole idea of 'managed lanes' is that toll rates would manage demand and thereby traffic flow. If there is no tolling involved, how are they managing it?

--- End quote ---

I don't know if this is the case for this example specifically, but they can also manage HOV restrictions. Depending on time of day and/or traffic, they might be able to change the HOV restrictions from 2+ to 3+ or even 4+, or maybe even drop the restriction during light traffic periods.

Plutonic Panda:

--- Quote from: Chris on April 27, 2019, 02:29:23 PM ---What are 'managed lanes' if they are not tolled? Just general purpose lanes with a truck ban? The whole idea of 'managed lanes' is that toll rates would manage demand and thereby traffic flow. If there is no tolling involved, how are they managing it?

--- End quote ---
They are calling them express lanes. Even the term “managed” could be spun to say they manage the access more so than the “regular” lanes by having fewer entry and exit points.

Bobby5280:
Apologies for if this was already mentioned and I overlooked it, but those cross section views of the highway give me a bad feeling. Will the finished project feature lane widths more narrow than the 12 foot standard? The cross section drawings sure look like they're shaving off at least one or maybe even two feet from each lane to squeeze the few extra lanes into an already pretty confined space.

I really dislike I-35E going North out of Dallas for the sub-standard narrow lanes on that recently completed widening project. I feel like I could trade paint, touch door handles or take off side view mirrors of other vehicles in the adjacent lanes. That's not so good if you're traveling at "normal" Dallas traffic speeds. A normal 12' wide lane doesn't give off such a dreadful, claustrophobic feeling.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version