Regional Boards > Mid-South

Dallas North Tollway Widening from SH 121 to US 380

<< < (5/6) > >>

ZLoth:
I took a trip to the northwest corner of Collin County back on April 30th. Right now, the phase 4B of the Dallas North Tollway construction is taking place where they are constructing a two-lane frontage road right up to the Collin-Greyson-Denton county lines. This is expected to be completed by late 2022/early 2023, and will eventually become the southbound frontage road. When you look at the area now, it's practically county, but give it a few years, and I see housing developments.

dchristy:

--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on June 28, 2022, 04:36:40 PM ---The Dallas North Tollway would turn into the Grayson County Tollway by the time it reached FM-121 to the East of Tioga. I think the toll road would have to go almost as far North as FM-902, just West of Dorchester, before the East-West split could occur. Then it could run on a diagonal between Collinsville and Whitesboro going toward the I-35 Red River Crossing.

I think there is so much development happening in the Northern reaches of the DFW metroplex that widening I-35 to 4 lanes in both directions won't be enough for the long term. The DFW metro seems to be a magnet for people relocating from other regions of the nation. The worsening water crisis in the Southwest US may spark even more migration to Texas. That may make a West leg of the DNT to I-35 necessary. I strongly believe US-82 between Gainesville and Sherman needs to be upgraded to Interstate standards. TX DOT has done some improvement work over the years, but I think they're falling behind and about to be staring at another US-380 style problem. The US-377 corridor will see more pressure applied to it; it's one of the main routes from DFW up to the Lake Texoma area.

--- End quote ---

I just drove US-377 from Whitesboro down to Aubrey this morning.  Lots of traffic on this two lane highway with speeds around 50 mph much of the time, even in the more rural areas.  In my opinion, serious consideration needs to be given to making this a four lanes.  Is this even under consideration?

I-35:

--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on June 28, 2022, 04:36:40 PM ---The Dallas North Tollway would turn into the Grayson County Tollway by the time it reached FM-121 to the East of Tioga. I think the toll road would have to go almost as far North as FM-902, just West of Dorchester, before the East-West split could occur. Then it could run on a diagonal between Collinsville and Whitesboro going toward the I-35 Red River Crossing.

I think there is so much development happening in the Northern reaches of the DFW metroplex that widening I-35 to 4 lanes in both directions won't be enough for the long term. The DFW metro seems to be a magnet for people relocating from other regions of the nation. The worsening water crisis in the Southwest US may spark even more migration to Texas. That may make a West leg of the DNT to I-35 necessary. I strongly believe US-82 between Gainesville and Sherman needs to be upgraded to Interstate standards. TX DOT has done some improvement work over the years, but I think they're falling behind and about to be staring at another US-380 style problem. The US-377 corridor will see more pressure applied to it; it's one of the main routes from DFW up to the Lake Texoma area.

--- End quote ---

Agreed on US 82, it's sort of this hybrid expressway that really needs a full upgrade between at least I-35 and US 75.  I don't know if there is room for flyovers at the US 75 interchange, but the 'upgrade' they are doing to the existing volleyball design suggests that it will not be getting that treatment.

In_Correct:

--- Quote from: Chris on June 28, 2022, 04:44:31 PM ---Major investments have been announced for Sherman.

Texas Instruments is building a potential $ 30 billion semiconductor wafer plant: https://www.ti.com/about-ti/company/ti-at-a-glance/manufacturing/sherman.html

GlobalWafers has just announced a $ 5 billion wafer plant: https://www.commerce.gov/news/press-releases/2022/06/globalwafers-selects-sherman-texas-new-semiconductor-silicon-wafer-site

This is a boatload of high paying jobs going to a relatively small city, potentially with a lot of trickle-down effect on other industries in the area.

It seems like Sherman could become a boomtown over the next few decades.

--- End quote ---

Sherman's Road Infrastructure is currently not able to accommodate additional traffic. Capacity and also Safety Improvements are needed and have been needed for decades.

--- Quote from: dchristy on June 29, 2022, 10:17:10 AM ---

--- End quote ---

I just drove US-377 from Whitesboro down to Aubrey this morning.  Lots of traffic on this two lane highway with speeds around 50 mph much of the time, even in the more rural areas.  In my opinion, serious consideration needs to be given to making this a four lanes.  Is this even under consideration?

--- End quote ---

Not serious. They have in Grayson County a Study for Super 2 North of Whitesboro. Hopefully they Preserve the Right Of Way for The Willis Bridge so they can Twin it. All of Denton County includes a Study to Widen U.S. 377 for Continuous Passing Lanes, possibly Divided.

Bobby5280:
The situation with US-377 is arguably pretty ridiculous. Just north of the TX-114 intersection in Roanoke US-377 drops down to 2 lanes and stays that way until entering Denton. Then it's 2 lanes only from its split with US-380 on North up to the Red River.

That whole thing should be either 4-lane divided or 5 lane undivided with the 5th lane being a center turn lane. Existing traffic levels are pretty heavy for a mere 2-lane highway. Plus US-377 is almost the only Red River crossing between I-35 and US-75. The SH-91 crossing over Denison Dam is almost a stone's throw from US-75.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version