Regional Boards > Mid-South

Dallas North Tollway Widening from SH 121 to US 380

<< < (6/6)

austrini:

--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 01, 2022, 10:59:53 PM ---That whole thing should be either 4-lane divided or 5 lane undivided with the 5th lane being a center turn lane. Existing traffic levels are pretty heavy for a mere 2-lane highway. Plus US-377 is almost the only Red River crossing between I-35 and US-75. The SH-91 crossing over Denison Dam is almost a stone's throw from US-75.

--- End quote ---

The current plan has it as 4 lanes by 2028 until end of plan in 2045 with a request to AASHTO to realign the US 377 designation along the interstate, like US 77 elsewhere, and giving up roadway maintenance to to the cities. It's behind, on one hand because budget and on the other because Argyle won't annex the very tiny part of it that's not in a city already. I should say this is the part of US 377 between Denton and Roanoke. The part north of Denton isn't 4 lanes until 2037(? I think).

The way it goes is like this. City approves thousands of homes and strip malls for yummy property tax revenue, Aubrey's got like 4,000 houses going in. If you don't believe me just grab sentinel hub imagery. State is like, wtf Aubrey, are you going to pay us to widen this regionally important road that suddenly is over capacity? City is like lol no. Bye. State says, okay, 2037 then, BYE. (source: am regional transportation planner, formerly Collin County GIS/Planning)

Bobby5280:
Promotion of big residential subdivisions (for lots of property tax revenue and to bolster a more "desirable" voting demographic) while doing little to nothing to improve capacity of arterial streets and highways is a familiar tune being played out in other parts of the nation.

It sounds exactly like the crap going on in Colorado Springs. Big developments with dozens of high priced homes get plopped onto the landscape. These subdivisions will have their own nice looking, landscaped streets -some of which are even 4-lane divided. All that empties out onto main streets or highways that haven't had real substantial capacity improvements in decades. The few improvements they're actually making, such as piece-meal upgrades of Powers Blvd intersections, aren't delivering much in the way of improved traffic movement. That's because their pace of improvement is so damn slow it can't catch up to the sheer amount of traffic growth.

US-24 going NE out of the 'Springs is one example. The town of Falcon has grown a lot in the past 20 years. There is hardly any rural gap left between Falcon and the East edge of Colorado Springs. The remaining empty spaces there and by the Black Forest are going to fill in with development. The situation on US-24 is just going to get even more dangerous. CDOT isn't going to do a damn thing about it though.

Road Hog:
Blink and you'll miss it.

The new section north of FM 428 is already striped and has signage installed. I expect it to be open all the way up to FM 121 and into Grayson County by the first of October.

This is only one of the frontage roads, mind you, but a commuting gamechanger when combined with the 380 overpass.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version