US 281 Expansion in Blanco county

Started by Thegeet, August 22, 2022, 03:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

Surely a US 281 expansion-to-four-lanes project would bypass the town of Blanco, not plow right through town like the locals quoted fear. Main St. is already a four lane roadway with a two-way left-turn lane in the median. TXDOT will probably build either an eastern four-lane bypass, or a western four-lane bypass around Blanco.

jgb191

It would make sense to expand to four-lane divided highway all the way to Johnson City, given that it's been four-lane divided at the junction with US-281 & US 290.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

In_Correct

I Hate Pharmacy Brochures:

TxDOT plan to expand US 281 worries Blanco neighbors as they work to create own route
Candy Rodriguez

Monday, August 22, 2022

AUSTIN (KXAN) – As Central Texas continues to grow, one small Hill Country town is getting together to ensure it can keep its history alive and intact. 

There are plans to expand U.S.Highway 281 in the Blanco County area. Many in the City of Blanco are worried about what the project could mean for the downtown area.

Blanco County resident stayed behind during Smoke Rider Fire; 40 acres of property damage

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/hays/blanco-county-resident-stayed-behind-during-smoke-rider-fire-40-acres-of-property-damage/

Officials with the Texas Department of Transportation said they are in the early stages of working on a plan that would create a four-lane divided road along U.S. 281 between the Comal County line and U.S. 290.

A historic prescription
Many in the city worry this plan includes an expansion through Blanco's downtown, where there are many historic buildings, including a pharmacy dating back to the early 1900s.

Siobhan Atchley, Blanco Pharmacy & Wellness' owner, is one of the several business owners who are concerned about TxDOT's plans, saying, "everybody's open to having it go around except maybe the people whose property it's going to go through, and so I feel sensitive to that, but maybe somehow they can find people that are willing to allow that to happen, so we can preserve our downtown."

The owner added, "We all love the places that we have down here that have been here for a long time and we don't want that to be ruined by another Interstate 35."

Siobhan Atchley holds a book filled with old prescriptions and recipes for medicine dating back to the early 1900s. (KXAN Photo/Candy Rodriguez)

Siobhan Atchley holds a book filled with old prescriptions dating back to the early 1900s. (KXAN Photo/Candy Rodriguez)

Atchley is the fourth owner since the pharmacy opened at the turn of the century.

"I've been here for 11 years. We've owned it for 10 family-owned, independent business, single location,"  she said. "Technically, the oldest pharmacy in Texas that's been in the same location."

Blanco Pharmacy & Wellness is able to compound medicine such as creams, tablets, capsules and suppositories. The pharmacy also delivers prescriptions across the county and service facilities such as nursing homes, assisted living facilities and drug and alcohol rehab centers.

"It's really special,"  she said about the pharmacy. "It's really it's the best place I've ever worked and I love it."

Community route?
In an email, a TxDOT official wrote, "the project does not include any changes through downtown Blanco."

While some Blanco neighbors said that may be the case, for now, they do not expect that to be the case long term, and that's why Mike Arnold with the board of directors for the Blanco Chamber of Commerce said he is working with TxDOT and the community to come up with a viable route that would take traffic around town versus through downtown.

"˜I can't even go into town': Neighbors in southeast Travis County call on leaders to find traffic solution

https://www.kxan.com/traffic/travis-county-traffic/i-cant-even-go-into-town-neighbors-in-southeast-travis-county-call-on-leaders-to-find-traffic-solution/

Monday, the Blanco Chamber of Commerce will host a meeting inside the Old Blanco County Courthouse on the square starting at 6:30 p.m. Arnold said the goal behind the meeting is to provide the community with information and eventually, come up with a route together.

"We're getting the community together, asking everybody to draw your line,"  Arnold said. "Let's get together and see how those overlay, and let's go from there."

Mike Arnold stands next to U.S. 281 near downtown. (KXAN Photo/Candy Rodriguez)

U.S. 281 sign (KXAN Photo/Candy Rodriguez)

"There are a lot of folks out there saying "˜Write a petition and picket and protests.' There's a time and a place for that, but that's not now,"  Arnold said. "If you're a Blanco stakeholder, you have ideas, you have expertise on the area, get out a map of the area, look at how U.S. 281 goes now and where they're trying to connect it, which is just south of town, just north of town, and start drawing lines, see what makes sense to you. It's not as easy as you think."

Arnold said the community has resources available that will help them accomplish this goal.

"There are some amazing people in the greater community that really love Blanco that are really heavy hitters in the area of surveying highway construction, environmental impact studies, engineering, all of that, that are weighing in and saying, "˜Look, I want to volunteer, I love Blanco. I just want to be a part. Let's get this done.' When we get some lines on the map, we can really vet them pretty thoroughly before we even float them up to TxDOT to sign off on,"  he explained.

Future relief route?
A lot of people KXAN spoke to said growth is coming, and they want to be prepared.

Many of the neighbors said they understood a lot of 18-wheelers and big trucks depend on U.S. 281 as an alternative route to I-35.

Rachel Lumpee, the City of Blanco's mayor, stands outside the old Blanco County courthouse. (KXAN Photo/Candy Rodriguez)

"I think the confusion is that people are understanding that 281 in town is also expanding and that is not true,"  Blanco Mayor Rachel Lumpee said.

In May, Lumpee said TxDOT approached the city to inform them about their U.S. 281 project. The mayor then said she requested TxDOT look into a relief route – separate from the U.S. 281 project.

"One of the things about the relief route is acquiring all the land and that's why we're encouraging our citizens and myself, to talk with our state and federal leaders to see if they have any help that they can provide to us to acquire the land for the relief route."

Texas to receive millions for transportation projects

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/texas-to-receive-millions-for-transportation-projects/

She said she'll be at Monday's meeting joining the chamber.

"The goal of the relief route study is to see if it's possible to relieve some of the traffic and the trucks on 281, currently, to go around town, so we don't have the traffic that is building up,"  she said.

(Source: Mike Arnold)

TxDOT expects to complete the environmental studies by early 2024 on the U.S. 281 project. Construction will depend on funding, which at this time the agency does not have. At the end of next month, TxDOT will hold a public meeting in person and virtually to gather community feedback.

Categories: Hill Country, Local, News, Top Stories, Traffic, Traffic Projects
Tags: Blanco, Blanco County, Blanco River, Comal County, Hill Country, History, Project, Road, ROAD PROJECT, Traffic, Transportation, Txdot, us 281, Us 290
KXAN Austin

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Bobby5280

Yeah, I can't see any scenario where widening US-281 through the middle of Blanco, TX makes any sense. Obviously if TX DOT is going to put forth the effort they'll prefer to build a new 4-lane divided route on a new alignment and with enough ROW to allow it to be upgraded to a freeway later. That is if the bypass isn't built as a freeway outright. There are quite a few examples elsewhere around the state where TX DOT has built new bypasses around towns as Interstate quality or configured where they can be easily upgraded to Interstate quality.

Examples like the US-281 upgrade project through the middle of Falfurrias are more the exception than the norm. I'd be very surprised if TX DOT tried pushing for an expansion of US-281 through the center of Blanco.

Quote from: jgb191It would make sense to expand to four-lane divided highway all the way to Johnson City, given that it's been four-lane divided at the junction with US-281 & US 290.

Given the tremendous population growth along the I-35 corridor I think a good argument could be made to upgrade the US-281 corridor from San Antonio up to Wichita Falls as a relief route for I-35. As the very least US-281 should be upgraded to Interstate quality up to Johnson City and the US-290 corridor, if not Lampasas and US-190/Future I-14.

kernals12

Quote from: Bobby5280 on August 23, 2022, 06:45:53 PM
Yeah, I can't see any scenario where widening US-281 through the middle of Blanco, TX makes any sense. Obviously if TX DOT is going to put forth the effort they'll prefer to build a new 4-lane divided route on a new alignment and with enough ROW to allow it to be upgraded to a freeway later. That is if the bypass isn't built as a freeway outright. There are quite a few examples elsewhere around the state where TX DOT has built new bypasses around towns as Interstate quality or configured where they can be easily upgraded to Interstate quality.

Examples like the US-281 upgrade project through the middle of Falfurrias are more the exception than the norm. I'd be very surprised if TX DOT tried pushing for an expansion of US-281 through the center of Blanco.

Quote from: jgb191It would make sense to expand to four-lane divided highway all the way to Johnson City, given that it's been four-lane divided at the junction with US-281 & US 290.

Given the tremendous population growth along the I-35 corridor I think a good argument could be made to upgrade the US-281 corridor from San Antonio up to Wichita Falls as a relief route for I-35. As the very least US-281 should be upgraded to Interstate quality up to Johnson City and the US-290 corridor, if not Lampasas and US-190/Future I-14.

I don't see what use a US 281 freeway would be for anyone who is currently going along I-35.

Also, I'd think twice before building an Interstate Highway through Texas Hill Country.

Bobby5280

Quote from: kernals12I don't see what use a US 281 freeway would be for anyone who is currently going along I-35.

Long haul commercial traffic going to/from Mexico and points in the US well North/Northeast of the DFW metro would use such a route to bypass the highly populated Austin and DFW metros. If US-281 was built as a freeway up to Wichita Falls it would connect directly into I-44 (which connects back into I-35 in OKC).

A better quality US-281 route would also improve military traffic between bases/posts in the San Antonio area, Fort Hood in Killeen and Fort Sill next to Lawton.

Quote from: kernals12Also, I'd think twice before building an Interstate Highway through Texas Hill Country.

US-281 already cuts a fairly wide and direct path through the Hill Country. It wouldn't be hard to upgrade that highway to Interstate standards, even if it is flanked by frontage roads. The main areas where new terrain paths would be needed is for limited access bypasses in towns like Blanco, Johnson City, Burnet and Lampasas. Even if the rural stretches of US-281 are never upgraded to Interstate standards it's likely bypasses will be built for those towns in the not so distant future.

In_Correct

Perhaps kernals12 has no idea how badly it is needed for U.S. 281 and other nearby Corridors to be upgraded. When ever on Interstate 35 any lanes close or all the traffic just stops for what ever reason, there are aggressive Commercial Drivers that want to go next, and shouts at other drivers that are In " Their " Way. Simply get most of these Commercial Drivers on U.S. 281 which all ready needs the additional lanes to be constructed.

I would not describe Interstate 35 as Flat.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

kernals12

Quote from: Bobby5280 on August 26, 2022, 11:08:21 PM
Quote from: kernals12I don't see what use a US 281 freeway would be for anyone who is currently going along I-35.

Long haul commercial traffic going to/from Mexico and points in the US well North/Northeast of the DFW metro would use such a route to bypass the highly populated Austin and DFW metros. If US-281 was built as a freeway up to Wichita Falls it would connect directly into I-44 (which connects back into I-35 in OKC).

A better quality US-281 route would also improve military traffic between bases/posts in the San Antonio area, Fort Hood in Killeen and Fort Sill next to Lawton.

Quote from: kernals12Also, I'd think twice before building an Interstate Highway through Texas Hill Country.

US-281 already cuts a fairly wide and direct path through the Hill Country. It wouldn't be hard to upgrade that highway to Interstate standards, even if it is flanked by frontage roads. The main areas where new terrain paths would be needed is for limited access bypasses in towns like Blanco, Johnson City, Burnet and Lampasas. Even if the rural stretches of US-281 are never upgraded to Interstate standards it's likely bypasses will be built for those towns in the not so distant future.
Upgrading US 281 to interstate standards would mean building it to a design speed of 75 mph. That's going to require flattening a lot of hills in Hill Country. And those frontage roads will sever natural habitats.

Quote from: In_Correct on August 27, 2022, 01:32:24 AM

Perhaps kernals12 has no idea how badly it is needed for U.S. 281 and other nearby Corridors to be upgraded. When ever on Interstate 35 any lanes close or all the traffic just stops for what ever reason, there are aggressive Commercial Drivers that want to go next, and shouts at other drivers that are In " Their " Way. Simply get most of these Commercial Drivers on U.S. 281 which all ready needs the additional lanes to be constructed.

I would not describe Interstate 35 as Flat.

You know that there are solutions to I-35's congestion besides paving over Hill Country, right? And this route would lure a very small percentage of the current traffic on I-35 simply because it goes through the middle of nowhere.

armadillo speedbump

Quote from: Bobby5280 on August 26, 2022, 11:08:21 PM

Lulz, don't forget, "Vital for hurricane evacuations!" and "Something something durr fights climate change" plus rename it The Inflation Reduction Freeway. 

The actual cost savings to the military of saving maybe 15 to 30 minutes on infrequent equipment moves is a tiny, tiny fraction of the overall cost to convert to a freeway.  We aren't talking about upgrading from stagecoach wagon trails. 

Thankfully TXDOT understands that a freeway isn't needed for most of 281.  Simply finishes 4-laning and eventually several bypasses and grade separations to eliminate all stop lights/stop signs will be sufficient.  Money doesn't grow on trees.

Quote from: kernals12 on August 27, 2022, 09:19:20 AM
You know that there are solutions to I-35's congestion besides paving over Hill Country, right?

:rolleyes:  Thanks for the concern, Thoreau.

Edit:  Just tried a few trip estimates on Google Maps from Fort Worth, Euless, Lewisville, and Frisco to downtown San Antonio.  If you are willing to use the FW-Cleburne toll road, 281 is only 1-5 miles and 1 to 12 minutes longer than via I-35.  Totally free routes makes 281 4 to 5 miles and 10-19 minutes longer.  You'd be surprised how many people have used the 281 option between the western half of DFW and much of San Antonio just to avoid the hassles of I-35's construction and traffic.  Also for the scenery and change of pace, especially for family trips.  Not enough to justify a budget blowing full freeway, but perhaps more 4-laning and eventual bypasses and grade separations.

Spring Branch to north of Marble Falls is probably the most pressing need, then a Lampasas bypass ("The LamPassUsBy!") and to I-20.  North of I-20 improvements (not a freeway) would be useful, but probably should be long term because of so many higher needs in the state.   

bwana39

Quote from: Bobby5280 on August 23, 2022, 06:45:53 PM

US-271 around Mount Pleasant is a perfect example. The problem is that the county (Titus) and ,to a lesser part, the city had to pony up not insignificantly too.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.