News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Commissioners Propose Knoxville Highway Bypass

Started by afguy, January 17, 2023, 07:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Some info and links to the 475 proposal can be found here

Tom958

https://tdot.public.ms2soft.com/tcds/tsearch.asp?loc=Tdot&mod=TCDS
'
An I-75 Knoxville bypass looks great on a map, but it simply wouldn't divert all that much traffic from I-75. By the time i-75 reaches the KY state line, it's carrying only about 23,000 vpd. That would include traffic bound to or from Knoxville as well as through traffic, so we're talking about 20,000 vpd or so actually bypassing the Knoxville area. Not much compared to the 180,000+ already on I-40-75. Myself, I wish that I-75 had been built on the I-475 route as part of the original Interstate system, with I-275 meeting it near Rocky Top or whatever, just because it would've been a shorter and more efficient route that would've saved a lot of time and fuel over the years. But it's too late for that now.

Tangential to the topic, the same logic applies to an I-75 bypass of Chattanooga, though the case for that would likely be quite a bit better.

civilengineeringnerd

to be fair, TDOT has widened US 641 north for less. the portion in paris just north of historic downtown was widened to 5 lanes from 2. that portion has a AADT of 6700 where it used to over 7500 AADT.
Every once in awhile declare peace! it confuses the hell outta your enemies!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.