I-70 in Wheeling decommissioned (April Fools)

Started by SkyPesos, April 01, 2023, 12:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

Found this when browsing the news today, and thought it would be worth sharing here:

OhioDOT and WVDOT sent a request to AASHTO to decommission I-70 in Wheeling due to the single-lane section and narrow medians, and the 45 mph speed limit that resulted from both. According to an ODOT spokesperson, "This section has been hopelessly under interstate standards for a long time and cannot continue existing in the interstate system." Effective immediately, I-70 would be rerouted along I-470 in the Wheeling area to provide a safer and higher quality interstate by default, and US 40 rerouted along the former I-70 alignment. The I-70 and I-470 interchange on the Ohio side will be rebuilt to favor through traffic movement onto the new eastbound I-70 (former I-470) on the left side of the road. The former US 40 alignment will become State Route 840 on both sides of the state line.

More information here

Big John

pianocello

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 01, 2023, 12:16:37 PM
OhioDOT and WVDOT sent a request to AASHTO to decommission I-70 in Wheeling

Wait, they sent a request to AASHTO? What I got of the info you linked was that officials went out in the middle of the night and changed the signs without telling anyone.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Terry Shea

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 01, 2023, 12:16:37 PM
Found this when browsing the news today, and thought it would be worth sharing here:

OhioDOT and WVDOT sent a request to AASHTO to decommission I-70 in Wheeling due to the single-lane section and narrow medians, and the 45 mph speed limit that resulted from both. According to an ODOT spokesperson, "This section has been hopelessly under interstate standards for a long time and cannot continue existing in the interstate system." Effective immediately, I-70 would be rerouted along I-470 in the Wheeling area to provide a safer and higher quality interstate by default, and US 40 rerouted along the former I-70 alignment. The I-70 and I-470 interchange on the Ohio side will be rebuilt to favor through traffic movement onto the new eastbound I-70 (former I-470) on the left side of the road. The former US 40 alignment will become State Route 840 on both sides of the state line.

More information here
AASHTO was ok with it being substandard, and it was indeed signed as I-70 for how many years, but now it's not ok?  How many millions are going to spent on the rebuild?  The freeway into town is still going to be substandard.  This seems downright silly and a terrible waste of taxpayer money.

Roadgeekteen

I'm fine with this. Wheeling is not a big city at all whatsoever, and I-470 is more than enough. I looked at google street view on I-70 in Wheeling and the road looked to be super substandard.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

Are they going to name it the Loof Lirpa Parkway?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TempoNick

I always thought the numbers should be flipped.

While they are at it, they should Route 70 along I-68 and stop torturing people through Breezewood PA. Not everybody is smart enough to come up with that alternate route. Or at the very least call it Alt 70.

US 41

I'm guessing this an April Fools joke. They just did a ton of construction through there on I-70 replacing bridges and whatnot. Even as strange as the designs are with only 1 lane being a "thru lane" I still like going that way a lot better in my truck than 470. 470 has a couple of pretty steep grades that I don't care too much for, while 70 is a lot flatter.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: TempoNick on April 02, 2023, 02:29:07 PM

It all depends on if you think that 2di's should bypass the cities downtown or go through them. Very philosophical question that has been debated by generations of roadgeeks.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

Quote from: US 41 on April 02, 2023, 02:36:25 PM
I'm guessing this an April Fools joke. ....

Someone beat you to it:

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 01, 2023, 06:17:11 PM
Are they going to name it the Loof Lirpa Parkway?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TempoNick

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 02, 2023, 03:32:13 PM
Quote from: TempoNick on April 02, 2023, 02:29:07 PM

It all depends on if you think that 2di's should bypass the cities downtown or go through them. Very philosophical question that has been debated by generations of roadgeeks.

I-235 goes through Des Moines and I-80 / I-35 go around it. I do admit it's kind of weird, but only because we're not used to it. It works.

TheHighwayMan3561

I've never been to Wheeling, but looking at the map and spread of the city it looks more analogous (but not an apples-to-apples) to 70/670 in Kansas City in that 470 doesn't strictly "bypass" Wheeling, but is just an easier route through. I'm aware the local authorities promote 470 for through traffic, but this is similar to other areas like Peoria, IL where IDOT asks thru traffic to use I-474.

As for the 2di vs. 3di, I don't think it's a one-size-fits-all. For Des Moines, it ideally keeps thru traffic for two major interstates out of the city (and I-235 is congested enough without that possibly having been added in had 35/80 been the route put through downtown, though the rationale 65 years ago may have been different than thinking about it in 2023). 44/244 in Tulsa may have been planned with similar thoughts of keeping thru traffic out of the core city. But most states just likely thought their major city/cities should get the 2di through it because it was more important and the city was more important.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 03, 2023, 03:20:15 AM
I've never been to Wheeling, but looking at the map and spread of the city it looks more analogous (but not an apples-to-apples) to 70/670 in Kansas City in that 470 doesn't strictly "bypass" Wheeling, but is just an easier route through.

Well, this is certainly a quintessential example of ignorance leading one to a false conclusion. 

Traveling I-470 is definitely much more than just an easier way through Wheeling and is a true bypass.  Doesn't look that way on a map, but terrain in particular comes into play here.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SEWIGuy

And not only that, I can't figure out how I-470 "doesn't strictly bypass Wheeling." It literally does just that.

Bitmapped

Quote from: Rothman on April 03, 2023, 06:58:16 AM

I've never been to Wheeling, but looking at the map and spread of the city it looks more analogous (but not an apples-to-apples) to 70/670 in Kansas City in that 470 doesn't strictly "bypass" Wheeling, but is just an easier route through.

Well, this is certainly a quintessential example of ignorance leading one to a false conclusion. 

Traveling I-470 is definitely much more than just an easier way through Wheeling and is a true bypass.  Doesn't look that way on a map, but terrain in particular comes into play here.

It depends what type of vehicle you are as to which is "easier." I-70's tunnel eliminates a significant grade that is present on I-470 in West Virginia, and I-70 in Ohio takes a gentler climb up to Saint Clairsville. For trucks, I-70 is generally the preferred route.

Rothman

Quote from: Bitmapped on April 03, 2023, 08:53:11 AM
Quote from: Rothman on April 03, 2023, 06:58:16 AM

It depends what type of vehicle you are as to which is "easier." I-70's tunnel eliminates a significant grade that is present on I-470 in West Virginia, and I-70 in Ohio takes a gentler climb up to Saint Clairsville. For trucks, I-70 is generally the preferred route.
Ah, I know the grade you're talking about on I-470.

Isn't there signage for thru traffic to take I-470, though, including trucks?  Can't remember if it's permanently installed or was only related to the big bridge project downtown.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Rothman on April 03, 2023, 09:25:30 AM
Isn't there signage for thru traffic to take I-470, though, including trucks?  Can't remember if it's permanently installed or was only related to the big bridge project downtown.

I mentioned something similar, but you were apparently having too much fun trying to insult me.  :)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 03, 2023, 12:49:59 PM

I mentioned something similar, but you were apparently having too much fun trying to insult me.  :)

Funny how similar just isn't quite the same...

TempoNick

Signage when you're trying to make a split second decision at 75 mph. Everything should be predicated on making it easy for people who aren't familiar with the roads. In other words, travelers from other areas. For local traffic, you can call the road anything you want and give it any number you want. People can figure it out.

If you're going to make it easy for people from outside of the area, you flip the numbering.

zzcarp

Quote from: TempoNick on April 03, 2023, 01:23:36 PM

Signage when you're trying to make a split second decision at 75 mph. Everything should be predicated on making it easy for people who aren't familiar with the roads. In other words, travelers from other areas. For local traffic, you can call the road anything you want and give it any number you want. People can figure it out.

If you're going to make it easy for people from outside of the area, you flip the numbering.

Signage exists asa red sign at 1.5 miles, an oversized load sign at about 1.4 miles, one mile outa standard half-mile exit sign, another red "Through Traffic use I-470" sign just before an APL BGS, and another set of BGSs at the gore point. At the speed limit of 65, the furthest notification is 83 seconds before the split. Even at 75 mph you have 72 seconds to make your decision. That's hardly a split second decision even for an unfamiliar driver unless the driver's head is buried in his cell phone.
So many miles and so many roads

TempoNick

Quote from: zzcarp on April 03, 2023, 01:50:29 PM

Signage exists asa red sign at 1.5 miles, an oversized load sign at about 1.4 miles, one mile outa standard half-mile exit sign, another red "Through Traffic use I-470" sign just before an APL BGS, and another set of BGSs at the gore point. At the speed limit of 65, the furthest notification is 83 seconds before the split. Even at 75 mph you have 72 seconds to make your decision. That's hardly a split second decision even for an unfamiliar driver unless the driver's head is buried in his cell phone.

Signs say one thing, but there is always doubt if you haven't driven through there before. That 470 number could mean anything if you don't know the lay of the land there. For all you know, they could be forcing you to drive 10 or 20 miles out of your way. (Like taking I-270 as a bypass around Columbus, but using it to continue on I-70.) Keeping the same number makes it simple.

I drive I-74 through Peoria quite often. I see the bypass sign, but I still stay on I-74. I may have taken the bypass once. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Bitmapped

Quote from: zzcarp on April 03, 2023, 01:50:29 PM

Those are orange construction signs, not red. They were temporary signage for the I-70 bridge reconstruction project which is wrapping up during which I-70 was down to one lane across several bridges and, for part of the time, was closed entirely.

I-470 is signed as the distant control city (Washington, PA or Columbus, OH) when it splits off I-70, with the mainline signed for Wheeling. Otherwise, there is nothing prior to the splits telling through traffic to use I-470 in normal times.

SEWIGuy

Why would you flip the numbering? Standard numbering convention is that the mainline goes through the city while the even 3di goes around the city. And how often does taking the 3di around the city add significant travel time?

sprjus4

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 03, 2023, 02:33:56 PM
And how often does taking the 3di around the city add significant travel time?
If it's a beltway, it can easily add time. There's numerous examples of this.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 03, 2023, 02:43:18 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 03, 2023, 02:33:56 PM
And how often does taking the 3di around the city add significant travel time?
If it's a beltway, it can easily add time. There's numerous examples of this.

Adding significant travel time is pretty rare.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.