Bad signs stand out hanging above a freeway

Started by Brandon, April 29, 2013, 04:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

agentsteel53

drunken rambling columnist proves why newspapers are an endangered species.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

tchafe1978

J N Winkler

I didn't think the attempt at humor flew, either, but the article adds to my knowledge, since I was not aware Michigan DOT fabricated large panel signs in the Detroit area in-house; I had assumed it was all done by contract.  It seems the panels with misspelled "Conner" were all in-house jobs although the interchange sequence sign in the photo that accompanies the article is a contract job (I have a copy of the plans set).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

sdmichael

There was a similar problem with Culver Ave on the 405 in Irvine. Some signs said Culver, some said Culver Rd... they have all been fixed though.

1995hoo

A few years ago VDOT misspelled Ronald Reagan's last name as "Reagen" on a BGS referring to Reagan Airport. It was fixed after the local TV stations spotted it. Made VDOT look dumb, but hardly a big deal. You just patch the sign.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ARMOURERERIC

Just wait till VDOT puts up a "Lea Highway" then's gonna be some dueling action goin on.

silverback1065

This seems to happen a lot in some areas, in Indianapolis we have a road called Moller Road, and it is frequently misspelled Moeller Road. 

roadman

Does Michigan really still use plywood for permanent warning, regulatory, and route signs, like the article seems to imply?
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

The High Plains Traveler

CDOT had "Cimmaron Avenue" for "Cimarron" on NB I-25 in Colorado Springs for quite a while. It was fixed with a partial overlay panel (...arron) over the last part of the word. It has since come loose on one side, so what it reads depends on how the wind is blowing.

They have had singularly bad luck with signage at this interchange; the overhead sign at the NB exit was hit by a truck and there was no sign there for a couple of years (there is now a ground-mounted sign). Southbound, the advance sign at the previous exit was replaced as part of a sign overhaul project and they somehow forgot to include WEST U.S. 24, which I think is an important piece of information. It was later replaced with a new sign.   
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

J N Winkler

Quote from: roadman on May 31, 2013, 06:09:14 PMDoes Michigan really still use plywood for permanent warning, regulatory, and route signs, like the article seems to imply?

I don't think so, since those generally classify as small guide signs and Michigan DOT seems to use flat sheet aluminum for those.  But Michigan DOT does definitely still use plywood for some (not all) large guide signs.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

tvketchum

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 31, 2013, 01:48:20 PM
This seems to happen a lot in some areas, in Indianapolis we have a road called Moller Road, and it is frequently misspelled Moeller Road. 

Moeller is the correct spelling. It is a German name, and there are no umlauts in English, so the rules are you add the 'e' after the vowel which would have an umlaut.

silverback1065

Quote from: tvketchum on June 12, 2013, 07:47:50 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on May 31, 2013, 01:48:20 PM

Moeller is the correct spelling. It is a German name, and there are no umlauts in English, so the rules are you add the 'e' after the vowel which would have an umlaut.

Well that means 100% of the posted signs are wrong then.  When it's mentioned on billboards and other ads it's Moeller, weird. 

Henry

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 30, 2013, 08:40:38 AM
A few years ago VDOT misspelled Ronald Reagan's last name as "Reagen" on a BGS referring to Reagan Airport. It was fixed after the local TV stations spotted it. Made VDOT look dumb, but hardly a big deal. You just patch the sign.
Most people would expect such an error to say "Regan", since it is similar to "Reagan", with the only difference being an extra "a".
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Big John

Quote from: Henry on June 17, 2013, 11:01:04 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 30, 2013, 08:40:38 AM
Most people would expect such an error to say "Regan", since it is similar to "Reagan", with the only difference being an extra "a".
I cringe at that error as there was a Donald Regan in Reagan's cabinet.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.