News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Quote from: NE2 on January 24, 2019, 07:53:11 PM
NC 11 south of Ahoskie seems to have been mostly built on a new right-of-way, possibly even controlled access ROW. Have any studies been done looking at making it I-87?

Not for I-87 specifically, no. But there were two separate studies (1991 & 1993) done that covers NC-11 between US-64 and US-13 just north of Ahoskie.

The 1991 study covers the stretch between US-64 and NC-903: https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/R-2700_Feasibility-Study_Report_1991.pdf

The 1993 study covers the stretch between NC-903 and US-13 just north of Ahoskie: https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/R-2900_Feasibility-Study_Report_1993.pdf

No more studies have been done since and the only study done specifially for I-87 was the Congressionally-mandated US-64/US-17 corridor, which was also done as two separate studies.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

orulz

The quarry does have an underpass under the railroad which can be quite expensive to build. I wonder if they could just literally acquire the quarry in order to use its underpass.

froggie

^ Looks like it uses existing NC 43 between 17 and south of the river.

And no, ArcGIS doesn't work the same as Google Maps.

sparker

Quote from: orulz on January 25, 2019, 02:43:09 PM
The quarry does have an underpass under the railroad which can be quite expensive to build. I wonder if they could just literally acquire the quarry in order to use its underpass.

Unless the underpass was (a) in the location proposed by NCDOT for the eventual US 17 ROW, and (b) was wide enough to accommodate a 4-lane divided facility, the chances are that it would simply be either bypassed or plowed under by any expressway extension. 

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: sparker on January 24, 2019, 08:57:30 PM
^^^^^^^^
Seems like GSV altitude/elevation readings only show what's at the surface, be it earth or water -- and the lower quarry elevations (presumably the pits) have been filled with water (actually, since it's quite white, some water-based mineral solution).  That's what threw me off; it showed little fluctuation between areas in the quarry grounds.  At that point, any US 17 extension to the north will require extensive fill or bridging (one would think it would veer to the left/west a bit to avoid the worst of it.  But it's always been clear this would be a costly section of road to build because of the Neuse river/wetlands to the north; dealing with the quarry just piles on additional expenses. 

One question: where does one access such a LiDAR app as displayed in the visual above?

The LiDAR data are from the North Carolina Spatial Data Download, which requires creating a free NCID. The LiDAR data are acquired through the North Carolina Floodplain Mapping Program as part of their ongoing efforts to improve and expand the state's mapped flood zones. The point cloud was brought into ArcMap (ArcGIS Desktop) for symbolization, but a free, open source GIS software package such as QGIS or GRASS should work (probably GRASS).

Quote from: slorydn1 on January 25, 2019, 05:41:03 AM
Yep the quarry has been there at least since the 80's when I first started visiting here. I believe (don't quote me on it though) that the section closest to US-70 (or south of the Norfolk Southern tracks) hasn't been in service for quite some time now. A lot of the stone for the concrete to build the Neuse River Bridge came from there back in the 90's

The proposed routing of the north of US-70 segment of US-17 displayed on the 2020-2029 Draft STIP has it going on right through it before curving NW a little before the train tracks:

http://ncdot.maps.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=683e22735d324c89abe812d4db9d6838

Note: I tried to zoom it in before pasting the link but I guess it doesn't work like Google maps....

Using the historic imagery slider in Google Earth, it appears the quarry is still expanding in the southern section nearest US 70. There's a notable change between February and November 2017. You can also compare several years of imagery on Craven County's GIS website.

Quote from: froggie on January 25, 2019, 03:21:51 PM
^ Looks like it uses existing NC 43 between 17 and south of the river.

And no, ArcGIS doesn't work the same as Google Maps.

Within the Draft STIP web map, you can use the "Share" button at the top and check to "Share current map extent" to get a zoomed in link, like this one.

wriddle082

Just drove the length of I-95 through NC en route to Hampton Roads for work this week.

What is the goal of the construction b/w Selma and Kenly? Will there be an extra lane in each direction, thereby making this the first widening of I-95 beyond 4 lanes in NC?  Or is this merely reconstruction and bridge rehabs?  I do recall this being a fairly rough segment of roadway around Kenly, since I believe that the US 401 exit was once a temporary northern terminus for many years.

sprjus4

Quote from: wriddle082 on January 28, 2019, 03:57:18 PM
Just drove the length of I-95 through NC en route to Hampton Roads for work this week.

What is the goal of the construction b/w Selma and Kenly? Will there be an extra lane in each direction, thereby making this the first widening of I-95 beyond 4 lanes in NC?  Or is this merely reconstruction and bridge rehabs?  I do recall this being a fairly rough segment of roadway around Kenly, since I believe that the US 401 exit was once a temporary northern terminus for many years.
I had wondered about that too the last few times I went through. A lot of construction, but I've not been able to find anything on widening.

LM117

They're repaving I-95 and replacing some of the bridges. The new bridges are being built wider in preparation for widening I-95, though the actual widening project is still a few years off. IIRC, the plan is to widen I-95 to 8 lanes.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/traffic/article165448037.html

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on January 28, 2019, 04:07:10 PM

They're repaving I-95 and replacing some of the bridges. The new bridges are being built wider in preparation for widening I-95, though the actual widening project is still a few years off. IIRC, the plan is to widen I-95 to 8 lanes.

In the next year or so, I-95 will be widened to 8 lanes between Exit 56 and Exit 81 (I-40), and eventually Exit 40 to Exit 22. Those 8-lane areas have the highest traffic amounts on any segment of I-95 in North Carolina. The rest of it I believe is only planned for 6 lanes, currently unfunded, which would include this Kenly and Selma segment only being 6 lanes.

Funny, that article from last year mentions the Exit 56 to Exit 81 widening wouldn't begin until 2026. Now, thanks to the federal grant, it's starting this year.

Roadsguy

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 28, 2019, 04:16:44 PM

In the next year or so, I-95 will be widened to 8 lanes between Exit 56 and Exit 81 (I-40), and eventually Exit 40 to Exit 22. Those 8-lane areas have the highest traffic amounts on any segment of I-95 in North Carolina. The rest of it I believe is only planned for 6 lanes, currently unfunded, which would include this Kenly and Selma segment only being 6 lanes.

Funny, that article from last year mentions the Exit 56 to Exit 81 widening wouldn't begin until 2026. Now, thanks to the federal grant, it's starting this year.

So the ultimate plan is at least six lanes through the whole state?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

bob7374

NCDOT is holding a public meeting about its proposed improvements between Andrews and Stecoah as part of Appalachian Development Highway System Corridor K:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/public-meetings/Pages/A-0009-2019-02-12.aspx

LM117

Two contracts were awarded for the replacement of 7 bridges across Bladen, Columbus, Cumberland, Harnett, and Robeson counties. Construction to begin after February 25 and will wrap up in the summer of 2021. Bridge locations listed here:

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-01-28-seven-new-bridges-coming-division-6.aspx

sprjus4

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 28, 2019, 04:49:02 PM

Correct. 8-lanes on the busiest stretches, 6 lanes elsewhere.

goobnav

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 28, 2019, 05:38:19 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on January 28, 2019, 04:49:02 PM

Correct. 8-lanes on the busiest stretches, 6 lanes elsewhere.

I foresee a lot of truck traffic self rerouting on I-85 when 95 goes full bore reconstruction.  Only time will tell.
Life is a highway and I drive it all night long!

wdcrft63

Quote from: bob7374 on January 28, 2019, 04:59:06 PM
NCDOT is holding a public meeting about its proposed improvements between Andrews and Stecoah as part of Appalachian Development Highway System Corridor K:
This is a hot potato. The proposal (it's been around for years) is to relocate US 74 to the west from Andrews to Stecoah and then bring it back along NC 28. This is to avoid any effort to widen the twisting 2-lane road in the gorges through it passes now. There is plenty of opposition to this idea since it involves a new 4-lane expressway (or freeway?) grade highway through some very wild mountain territory.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: wdcrft63 on January 28, 2019, 06:10:40 PM
This is a hot potato. The proposal (it's been around for years) is to relocate US 74 to the west from Andrews to Stecoah and then bring it back along NC 28. This is to avoid any effort to widen the twisting 2-lane road in the gorges through it passes now. There is plenty of opposition to this idea since it involves a new 4-lane expressway (or freeway?) grade highway through some very wild mountain territory.

I don't think it will ever happen. The costs and impacts are so high at this point.

cowboy_wilhelm

Speaking of the I-95 widening starting soon, approximately 18 miles of I-26 south of Asheville will start being widened this summer. I don't think I've seen it mentioned recently.

goobnav

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on January 28, 2019, 06:17:58 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on January 28, 2019, 06:10:40 PM

I don't think it will ever happen. The costs and impacts are so high at this point.

A proposed cost of $680 Million and, near GSMNP, pipe dream at best.

Thing 342

Agree, I can't see Corridor K being completed any time in the near future. I do wonder if the portion from Stecoah to Robbinsville (seemingly the portion of the route most badly in need of an upgrade) will be broken off and completed as its own project. Presumably it'd follow up from the end of the upgraded portion of NC-28, bypass a particularly twisty section of NC-143 to the south, and end at US-129 south of town. I have no clue how the southern section would be built, as it'd need to blast through ~4000' peaks.

RoadPelican

Earlier today I drove on NC 24 between Fayetteville and Clinton.  This was my first time driving on NC 24 in five years and the road has changed a lot!! The widening is now complete between Fayetteville and Clinton. 

However, I must say that traffic was a mess on the west side of Clinton between the bypass and Sampson Community College as NCDOT is putting the finishing touches on changing a center turning lane into a median.

After getting pass the construction mess, the road transitions nicely into a 4 lane divided rural highway.  The Speed Limit is only 55, but there are surprisingly a lot of driveways on this corridor.  NCDOT really shows it's love for superstreets on this highway.  It is also a fairly curvy road and a couple times I had to tap my brakes because there were a couple roads that intersected NC 24 on a curve and I found a couple impatient motorists that darted out into the left lane to complete their "Michigan Left."

Despite a couple dangerous superstreet intersections on NC 24, it is very nice to not have to slow down to 35 MPH anymore to go thru Roseboro & Autrytown.  Those towns have been bypassed.  There is one interchange on the new NC 24 and it is NC 242 just north of Roseboro.

There is only one at-grade signalized intersection on the New NC 24 and it is at a shopping center just east of I-95.  Westbound traffic has one superstreet traffic light and Eastbound has 2-3.

RoadPelican

One more thing on NC 24,

the remaining two lane section between the US 421 bypass and I-40 is going to be divided into two phases.

Phase 1 will put NC 24 on a new location south of it's existing route and will go from the bypass to Cecil Odie Road. Construction should start in 2020

Phase 2 will be from Cecil Odie Road to I-40.  This will remain south of the existing NC 24, no more driving thru "Turkey" if you don't want too.  However, Construction is not slated to start until 2029.

sprjus4

Quote from: RoadPelican on January 29, 2019, 12:18:30 AM
Earlier today I drove on NC 24 between Fayetteville and Clinton.  This was my first time driving on NC 24 in five years and the road has changed a lot!! The widening is now complete between Fayetteville and Clinton. 

However, I must say that traffic was a mess on the west side of Clinton between the bypass and Sampson Community College as NCDOT is putting the finishing touches on changing a center turning lane into a median.

After getting pass the construction mess, the road transitions nicely into a 4 lane divided rural highway.  The Speed Limit is only 55, but there are surprisingly a lot of driveways on this corridor.  NCDOT really shows it's love for superstreets on this highway.  It is also a fairly curvy road and a couple times I had to tap my brakes because there were a couple roads that intersected NC 24 on a curve and I found a couple impatient motorists that darted out into the left lane to complete their "Michigan Left."

Despite a couple dangerous superstreet intersections on NC 24, it is very nice to not have to slow down to 35 MPH anymore to go thru Roseboro & Autrytown.  Those towns have been bypassed.  There is one interchange on the new NC 24 and it is NC 242 just north of Roseboro.

There is only one at-grade signalized intersection on the New NC 24 and it is at a shopping center just east of I-95.  Westbound traffic has one superstreet traffic light and Eastbound has 2-3.
Am I the only one who thinks this highway, along with most 4-lane divided highways in both North Carolina and Virginia could easily handle 65 MPH? I mean, it's like that down in Georgia, Alabama, and Florida. The roads seem safe enough to handle those speeds, and are plenty wide.

goobnav

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 29, 2019, 12:36:17 AM
Quote from: RoadPelican on January 29, 2019, 12:18:30 AM

Am I the only one who thinks this highway, along with most 4-lane divided highways in both North Carolina and Virginia could easily handle 65 MPH? I mean, it's like that down in Georgia, Alabama, and Florida. The roads seem safe enough to handle those speeds, and are plenty wide.

You're not the only one, 64 south of Durham can handle at least a 60 mph speed limit, it's 65 on the Pittsboro bypass, after being out in Montana and seeing a 55 mph on a 2 lane, there are some 2 lane roads that can be bumped up too.

Roadsguy

Quote from: RoadPelican on January 29, 2019, 12:24:01 AM
One more thing on NC 24,

the remaining two lane section between the US 421 bypass and I-40 is going to be divided into two phases.

Phase 1 will put NC 24 on a new location south of it's existing route and will go from the bypass to Cecil Odie Road. Construction should start in 2020

Phase 2 will be from Cecil Odie Road to I-40.  This will remain south of the existing NC 24, no more driving thru "Turkey" if you don't want too.  However, Construction is not slated to start until 2029.

Is the new alignment planned as a controlled access freeway or just an at-grade expressway?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

sprjus4

Quote from: goobnav on January 29, 2019, 07:54:54 AM
You're not the only one, 64 south of Durham can handle at least a 60 mph speed limit, it's 65 on the Pittsboro bypass, after being out in Montana and seeing a 55 mph on a 2 lane, there are some 2 lane roads that can be bumped up too.
I think NCDOT's standard is that four-lane non-limited-access highways can have a max of 60 MPH (US 13, US 17, and a few others have this, whereas freeways (like the Pittsboro bypass) can be up to 70 MPH. Traveling a couple states down though, Florida, Georgia, and Alabama have 65 MPH posted on non-limited-access highways, and they run smoothly.

As for two-lane, I'm pretty sure the max is 55 MPH. Florida has 60 MPH posted on many two-lane roads as well. I've been to Texas, where their standard is way higher, 75 MPH on two-lane, four-lane non-limited-access, or freeway, doesn't matter. But that's Texas being Texas (not that it's a bad thing)

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 29, 2019, 08:25:16 AM
Is the new alignment planned as a controlled access freeway or just an at-grade expressway?
Judging by the rest of it, I'd say at-grade expressway. The way they did the rest of the project, I'd say there's no intent for NC 24 to ever become a freeway, just a four-lane roadway feeding the towns into the interstate system. I-40 and I-95 are not far from this road.

Then again, they are converting 10 miles of US 13 up near Ahoskie and Virginia into a full blown freeway for some reason? I don't see why at-grade expressway isn't good enough, I think like 5,000 people use that road a day.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.