News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Bridge Ice Warning Sign Style Changing In Texas

Started by Brian556, May 17, 2014, 01:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

On I-20, from Kaufman County to almost the Louisiana State Line, the WATCH FOR ICE ON BRIDGE signs have been replaced with ones that say "BRIDGE MAY ICE IN COLD WEATHER". I'm wondering if this change will be statewide. Maybe they are finally getting tired of flipping all those signs twice per year. It really did take a lot of time that could have been used for other purposes.

US71

Quote from: Brian556 on May 17, 2014, 01:31:50 PM
On I-20, from Kaufman County to almost the Louisiana State Line, the WATCH FOR ICE ON BRIDGE signs have been replaced with ones that say "BRIDGE MAY ICE IN COLD WEATHER". I'm wondering if this change will be statewide. Maybe they are finally getting tired of flipping all those signs twice per year. It really did take a lot of time that could have been used for other purposes.

Arkansas is changing from Bridge May Ice In Cold Weather to Bridge Ices Before Road
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Big John

^^ MUTCD W8-13 introduced in the 2003 edition.  So this should be the verbiage unless a state MUTCD overrides it.

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on May 17, 2014, 06:59:10 PM
Quote from: Brian556 on May 17, 2014, 01:31:50 PM

Arkansas is changing from Bridge May Ice In Cold Weather to Bridge Ices Before Road

Add Louisiana to that list also.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

codyg1985

^ And Mississippi, Kentucky, Georgia, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, and Alabama (eventually).

Alabama used to have the flip-style WATCH FOR ICE ON BRIDGE" signs for a long time, but the vast majority of them have been replaced with "BRIDGE MAY ICE IN COLD WEATHER" or "BRIDGE MAY ICE BEFORE ROADWAY" signs that don't flip down. The new ALDOT standard signs book shows "BRIDGE ICES BEFORE ROAD", but I have not seen any of them in the field in Alabama yet.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Stephane Dumas

Here in Canada, for ice warning on bridges and viaducts, we use this sign a bit similar to the sign of "slippery when wet" but with a thermometer http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Panneau_routier_Qu%C3%A9bec_gel_au_sol_-_Gasp%C3%A9.jpg

Road Hog

I'd hate to see Texas do away with flip-up signs just because seeing them flipped up is a sign that spring has arrived.

texaskdog

US81

Quote from: Road Hog on May 20, 2014, 08:55:16 AM
I'd hate to see Texas do away with flip-up signs just because seeing them flipped up is a sign that spring has arrived.

When folded, the flip-up signs have the message "Drive Friendly" which often makes me smile - from both the grammar error and nostalgia.

txstateends

Quote from: US81 on May 20, 2014, 10:31:04 AM

When folded, the flip-up signs have the message "Drive Friendly" which often makes me smile - from both the grammar error and nostalgia.

That, or 'Don't Mess with Texas'.

I don't know what's wrong with having folding. flip-up signs.  Either have those or turn them away from view to the right.  There are enough things to watch for while driving without coming across signs that aren't even applicable 60-90% of the time.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Brandon

Quote from: txstateends on May 20, 2014, 11:43:08 AM

I don't know what's wrong with having folding. flip-up signs.  Either have those or turn them away from view to the right.  There are enough things to watch for while driving without coming across signs that aren't even applicable 60-90% of the time.

Depends on the area.  Some places, up here in the north, can see snow and ice and icy conditions from September through May.  Unfolding the signs each and every time is silly, so they might as well be permanent.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Scott5114

Quote from: txstateends on May 20, 2014, 11:43:08 AM

It's to save the labor costs of sending a crew around to flip hundreds of signs twice a year.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

wxfree

I've started to notice this in my area.  During my last road trip, to Austin a few weeks ago, I noticed that the foldable signs had not been folded, which is unusual for that late in the spring.  Maybe this is related, and they're replacing the signs instead of closing them.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

J N Winkler

Quote from: wxfree on May 22, 2014, 12:08:03 PMI've started to notice this in my area.  During my last road trip, to Austin a few weeks ago, I noticed that the foldable signs had not been folded, which is unusual for that late in the spring.  Maybe this is related, and they're replacing the signs instead of closing them.

I have been seeing "BRIDGE MAY ICE IN COLD WEATHER" warning signs in dozens of recent TxDOT plans sets, from multiple districts.  The current edition of SHSD still has the old verbiage ("WATCH FOR ICE ON BRIDGE").

Personally, I think all bridge icing signs should be removed, regardless of design.  They are one of the purest wastes of money you can find in signing.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

seicer

I wish we had more graphical signs - like Canada. There are a lot of non-English driving folks out there, and English is not an official language. It was easy when I was driving in Europe and in parts of Asia because the signage was simple and easy to understand - graphically. Additionally, for all of the Asian languages out there - there were English subtitles beneath them. (Not saying that we need Spanish, etc. variants on ours.)

US71

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 22, 2014, 12:48:29 PM
Quote from: wxfree on May 22, 2014, 12:08:03 PMI've started to notice this in my area.  During my last road trip, to Austin a few weeks ago, I noticed that the foldable signs had not been folded, which is unusual for that late in the spring.  Maybe this is related, and they're replacing the signs instead of closing them.

I have been seeing "BRIDGE MAY ICE IN COLD WEATHER" warning signs in dozens of recent TxDOT plans sets, from multiple districts.  The current edition of SHSD still has the old verbiage ("WATCH FOR ICE ON BRIDGE").

Personally, I think all bridge icing signs should be removed, regardless of design.  They are one of the purest wastes of money you can find in signing.

Or Slippery When Wet?

J N Winkler

Quote from: US71 on May 22, 2014, 01:54:25 PMOr Slippery When Wet?

Actually, those are somewhat more useful since they are designed to warn of pavement conditions (lack of positive drainage, binder "flushing" out of asphalt) that produce unusual slipperiness when it rains.  But, yes, the better solution is to correct the condition that causes the slipperiness in the first place.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

wxfree

I tend to agree that the bridge icing warning signs are a waste of money, except those that warn of bridges that aren't obvious.  In some places, there are small bridges, or long culverts, that can ice over but are easy not to notice.  I've seen at least one that has grass on each side of the road, but it has a bridge ice warning sign.  Use of the sign there seems reasonable.

getemngo

As noted above, Michigan is switching to the MUTCD standard "BRIDGE ICES BEFORE ROAD". This was the previous state specific version:

~ Sam from Michigan

kkt

Ideally it would be obvious to drivers to watch for ice on bridges even if the air temp is above freezing most of the time, but it's the most common cause of 1-car accidents.

msubulldog

I remember when NC and SC were the only states using BRIDGE ICES BEFORE ROAD.
"But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it."
Matt 7:14, NLT

US71

Everything in Van Zandt county has been changed, though the old style remains along US 271 around Paris and TX 19 to at least Sulphur Springs.

UPDATE
US 69 between Tyler and Mineola still have old signs, as does much of US 80 east of Mineola .

hbelkins

Kentucky used to use "Bridges Freeze Before Roadway" and our signs stay up year-round. I don't understand why they need to be folded/covered up in warm weather. We don't, after all, cover up "Slippery When Wet" signs when it's dry.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mcdonaat

Along US 190 and TX 63, I noticed that the signs weren't flipped, showing "Watch for Ice on Bridge".

First time driving to Jasper from Deridder, then north through Burkeville to Leesville - a scenic drive, and people weren't even doing the speed limit, usually going about 10 below. The roads change speed limits like nothing I've ever seen. 75 MPH on a two lane without shoulders?!?!

wxfree

A minute order for administrative rule changes indicated changes to the TMUTCD related to icy bridge signs.  That led me to discover this
http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/trf/tmutcd/2011-rev-2/list-of-changes.pdf

"The "WATCH FOR ICE ON BRIDGE"  and "W8-13T"  designation was changed to "BRIDGE MAY ICE IN COLD WEATHER"  and "W8-13aT"  respectively."

Revised pages are shown here
http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/trf/tmutcd/2011-rev-2/revision.pdf

The minute order isn't even for final adoption; it's just for proposed adoption.  It's interesting to see that the signs are being changed before the initial proposal has even been approved.  Maybe that's an example of government efficiency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.