News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

US 82 Widening in Arkansas

Started by cjk374, July 06, 2014, 10:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

Months ago, KTBS 3 in Shreveport had a report about plans by AHTD to widen US 82 across south Arkansas. (I tried searching KTBS' website...it's either been purged or my search parameters just wouldn't pull it up.)  I'm sure that w/AHTD's lack of endless funds, this project may take a long time to get started, and even longer to finish.  I wanted to start a thread to help keep up with the progress.

I have a few questions...perhaps AHTD can help with these:   :hmmm:

1.  What is the timeline for completing the widening of the entire highway?

2.  How much of the road will be divided/controlled access vs divided/full access vs "Arkansas superhighway"?

3.  I'm particularly interested in the small section of US 82 between US 79 NORTH and US 371 on the north side of Magnolia. I'm wondering how this stretch of the highway will be widened (4-lane divided or 5-lane?).  The reason for my interest is my railroad crosses US 82 at grade in this area.  Right now our tracks are protected with only 70s model flashing lights & overhead gantry, and no gates.  This crossing scares me to death each and everytime we cross it.  With the road being widened in the future, I would like to see the wider road flyover my mainline w/new overpasses instead of crossing the wider road at grade.  If we do cross the wider road at grade, will new signals (I hope WITH gates) be paid for/installed as part of this project?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: cjk374 on July 06, 2014, 10:50:51 AM
Months ago, KTBS 3 in Shreveport had a report about plans by AHTD to widen US 82 across south Arkansas. (I tried searching KTBS' website...it's either been purged or my search parameters just wouldn't pull it up.)  I'm sure that w/AHTD's lack of endless funds, this project may take a long time to get started, and even longer to finish.  I wanted to start a thread to help keep up with the progress.

I have a few questions...perhaps AHTD can help with these:   :hmmm:

1.  What is the timeline for completing the widening of the entire highway?

2.  How much of the road will be divided/controlled access vs divided/full access vs "Arkansas superhighway"?

3.  I'm particularly interested in the small section of US 82 between US 79 NORTH and US 371 on the north side of Magnolia. I'm wondering how this stretch of the highway will be widened (4-lane divided or 5-lane?).  The reason for my interest is my railroad crosses US 82 at grade in this area.  Right now our tracks are protected with only 70s model flashing lights & overhead gantry, and no gates.  This crossing scares me to death each and everytime we cross it.  With the road being widened in the future, I would like to see the wider road flyover my mainline w/new overpasses instead of crossing the wider road at grade.  If we do cross the wider road at grade, will new signals (I hope WITH gates) be paid for/installed as part of this project?

Gates?  You haven't been to TN.  Very few gates here.

Brian556

Why do you feel a need for gates?

I do not need them. I am perfectly capable of stopping for flashing lights.

I actually prefer the old gateless signals. The reason I don't like gates is that they block traffic unnecessarily during malfunctions, tracks work, and switching. I also feel that they are like "adult babysitters", part of the over-protection of the stupid people out there.

There is no reason that people should have to have gates to prevent them from driving in front of a moving train despite flashing lights. If they aren't capable of taking care of themselves, they should not have a driver's silence.

bugo

They should bring back the Billups Neon Crossing Signal.

mcdonaat

I think that US 82 shouldn't be widened, but that's just my opinion. For some reason, it seems like the only problem you have with US 82, passing, would be better fixed by having passing lane segments. US 79 northeast of Minden is the only one in LA that I know of still existing... US 167 used to have them, and I always thought it was the neatest thing in the world when I was younger.

cjk374

Quote from: Brian556 on July 06, 2014, 08:21:49 PM

There are LOTS of vehicles crossing my tracks at this location everyday.  You would be able to answer this question so much easier if you were in the cab of my locomotive when approaching this crossing.  It seems like we have a close-call there regularly.  Not every school bus and haz-mat placarded vehicle stops at crossings like they're supposed to.  It's moments like that that your anus starts inhaling your seat....not a comforting feeling.

You are one of the very few.  I sincerely thank you for being one of these good drivers.

I actually prefer the old gateless signals. The reason I don't like gates is that they block traffic unnecessarily during malfunctions, tracks work, and switching. I also feel that they are like "adult babysitters", part of the over-protection of the stupid people out there.

You would love my railroad...we only have 2 crossings on our entire 62 mile route equipped with gates.  All other active-signaled crossings only have lights & bell (most of these also have the overhead gantry as well).

I agree with you about the unnecessary blockages.  I find them annoying as well.  But I'd like to give the stupid drivers every opportunity to make the right choice before they hurt me, themselves or others.

50% of all grade crossing accidents occur at gated crossings...this I learned from being a presenter for Operation Lifesaver.  The decision to race the train is ultimately up to the driver, and one day it will catch up to him/her.  We haven't had a grade crossing collision my whole 12-year career, and I would like to keep it that way.

Quote from: bugo on July 06, 2014, 10:03:57 PM
They should bring back the Billups Neon Crossing Signal.

I bet if something like this was built today, it would definitely grab some attention!

cjk374

AHTD, do you have any information pertaining to US 82's future?

Anthony_JK

There is no reason that people should have to have gates to prevent them from driving in front of a moving train despite flashing lights. If they aren't capable of taking care of themselves, they should not have a driver's silence.

As long as you have drivers who will attempt to beat the train, there will be the need for gates. I'd prefer that to people getting killed. In my opinion, ALL at-grade rail crossings of more than one lane in either direction, and all designated state or Federal routes, should have the full protection (lights, bells, AND gates).

AHTD

Quote from: cjk374 on July 27, 2014, 10:32:03 AM

Can you refine your question a bit? In which county or city are you referencing?
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

cjk374

Quote from: AHTD on July 28, 2014, 10:59:30 AM
Quote from: cjk374 on July 27, 2014, 10:32:03 AM

Can you refine your question a bit? In which county or city are you referencing?

Columbia County...Magnolia specificly.

AHTD

Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.