News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Dead Man's Curve on US 278 east of Monticello, AR

Started by bugo, August 27, 2014, 08:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

http://searktoday.com/monticello-residents-take-out-dead-mans-curve/

QuoteFifty-two Monticello residents are calling on the State Highway and Transportation Department to "take out"  Dead Man's Curve, a sharp, double-curve and incline on U.S. 278 about two miles east of Monticello where there have been many accidents over the years, some fatal.

The recent death of a young Alabama woman at the dangerous curve has prompted a letter to State Highway Commissioner Robert Moore and State Highway and Transportation Department Director Scott Bennett asking that the department "immediately take all necessary actions to take out "˜Dead Man's Curve'"  in U.S. 278 east of Monticello.

The letter, written under the First United Methodist Church letterhead, was signed by 52 Monticello residents and was the result of an August 3 discussion in church's Adult Sunday School Class whose members were touched by the August 1 automobile accident that took the life of 21-year-old Carly Nicole Avery, of Hamilton, Alabama.
Carly AveryCarly Avery

Avery was traveling east on U.S. 278 at 6:20 a.m. on August 1 when she lost control of her car as she attempted to negotiate the curve on the wet highway. Her vehicle went into the westbound lane where it was struck by a 2014 Freightliner.

Avery was a civil engineering student at Mississippi State University working a summer internship at the Clearwater paper mill near Arkansas City. She was temporarily residing in Monticello.

"Our purpose in writing you is to respectfully request the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department to immediately take all necessary actions to take out "˜Dead Man's Curve' in Hwy. 278 just east of Monticello,"  the letter reads. "The unreasonably sharp double curve/incline configuration of this part of our local highway system has played a significant role in causing many auto accidents over the years, including a number of fatal accidents. We have little doubt that it played a major role in causing the death of Carly. It is our hope and prayer that you will take immediate action to remove this trap for unwary travelers in our community."

The letter also requests the department name the highway construction project the "Carly Nicole Avery Highway Safety Project" .

Isn't I-69 supposed to replace this portion of 278?

agentsteel53

in other news, I found US-138 immediately to the north.  who knew?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 27, 2014, 08:48:10 PM
I know, right? I thought it was only in Nebraska & Colorado ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

dfwmapper

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 27, 2014, 08:48:10 PM
Fixed it. Should be updated on Maps within a couple days.

Grzrd

Quote from: bugo on August 27, 2014, 08:23:50 PM
http://searktoday.com/monticello-residents-take-out-dead-mans-curve/
QuoteFifty-two Monticello residents are calling on the State Highway and Transportation Department to "take out"  Dead Man's Curve, a sharp, double-curve and incline on U.S. 278 about two miles east of Monticello where there have been many accidents over the years, some fatal ....

This December 2 Information Release indicates that AHTD is planning to make improvements in the area of the two curves:

The Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department (AHTD) has announced plans to make improvements to a section of Highway 278 in Drew County. The area is located approximately two miles east of Monticello at the location of two curves. The curves have been the site of several lane and roadway departure crashes in recent years, especially for drivers less familiar with the highway ....

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.