News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-35 San Antonio: 15-mile-long elevated structures recommended

Started by MaxConcrete, March 21, 2015, 12:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxConcrete

http://www.i35northeast.com/PublicHearing.aspx

PDF with some views
http://www.i35northeast.com/Content/Stations/5/Exhibits-what_would_build_alternative_look_like.pdf

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnRfzETWzZo&feature=youtu.be

The study covers Interstate 35 in northeast San Antonio, from the south 35/410 interchange to about 20 miles northeast. Recently there was a public meeting to announce the recommended build alternative. No surprise, it was the addition of tolled managed lanes.

But somewhat surprising is that about 15 miles will be built on twin elevated structures between the main lanes and frontage roads. As best as I can determine, this will be by far the longest bridge structure in Texas. San Antonio has always been friendly to elevated freeways, with the long section along I-10 west and another section along I-35 downtown. No cost estimates were provided, and I'm thinking this will cost between $500 million and $1 billion.

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

longhorn

I hope this happens, North San Antonio is growing by leaps and bounds. Its a shame 1604 is still only four lanes. This is exactly what needs to happen in north Austin along I-35, but that's a dream.

texaskdog

Would be a mistake to put only two lanes up, they'll just wind up having to build more later.

Henry

That's an impressive undertaking they're doing there. Of course, I would've suggested three lanes minimum for the elevated sections, but we'll see how it goes.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

nexus73

Quote from: texaskdog on March 23, 2015, 12:28:33 PM
Would be a mistake to put only two lanes up, they'll just wind up having to build more later.

Medford OR is choked along I-5 with two lanes in each direction on their viaduct and they are nowhere close to being the size of San Antonio, which is a major population center.  4 lanes in each direction should be the minimum.  Build it once, build it right.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

rantanamo

Looks like the ugly thing they've done to I-35E in Dallas.

longhorn

Quote from: rantanamo on March 23, 2015, 04:18:54 PM
Looks like the ugly thing they've done to I-35E in Dallas.

Much cheaper to elevate than try to sink it.

codyg1985

No matter now big it is built now, it will be obsolete in a few decades.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.