News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-90 rebuilding and widening

Started by bahnburner, September 08, 2015, 10:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quickshade

Quote from: ChiMilNet on July 04, 2016, 12:44:10 AM
Quote from: quickshade on July 03, 2016, 01:09:41 PM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on July 02, 2016, 11:48:24 PM
It seems by now that generally all the traffic has been moved off the old pavement lanes and that most of the old pavement has mostly been torn up by now. However, there are some places I'm having a hard time seeing this all get done by end of the year, not to try to be pessimistic. For example, the Barrington Road Interchange seems to have a ways to go. Despite the fact that the new bridge itself is finished, the ramps seem nowhere near finished, and Barrington Road itself has a long ways to go to be ready for its final configuration. I can give other examples, but I am wondering if anyone has insight as to whether any parts of the construction might be delayed into next year other than the WB onramp from Roselle/Central Rd.?

Mainline 90 will be finished by the end of the year, some minor shoulder work and landscaping may be done in the spring depending on weather and other factors. The inside lanes will be much faster than the outside lines because it's mostly ripping up the old road, putting down the new base and paving it. Unlike last year where they were adding lanes and redoing infrastructure to make room for 90. I recall seeing a spec sheet from the tollway that Barrington road exit was not going to be finished until summer 2017 but in looking at the live images a lot of the work is moving along pretty fast. In driving it last week it seems a lot of sections are getting the sub base leveled and blacktop laid for the concrete to be poured. I'll see if I can find the spec sheet on the Barrington road info.

Thanks for the info. I would love see that spec sheet if you could find it. It would make sense that Barrington Road Interchange may take until 2017, just based on the progress I am seeing there.

The sheet is no longer online, I have an email into them for an update, will post when I hear back.

hobsini2

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

ChiMilNet

Quote from: hobsini2 on July 05, 2016, 05:46:49 PM
Info for the I-90 project to refresh memories.
http://www.illinoistollway.com/construction-and-planning/projects-by-roadway/jane-addams-memorial-tollway-i-90

Thank you the link. However, what I have found to be missing from the site are mentions of any delays at any of the interchanges (for example, Roselle Rd. WB onramp). Very little seems to be mentioned about the delay items.

hobsini2

The Tollway website is not good for the traffic times. I use this most.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/traffic/
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

tribar

Quote from: hobsini2 on July 06, 2016, 06:00:32 PM

I don't think that's what the poster was referring to.  He was referring to the delays with the construction work, not traffic delays.

hobsini2

tribar, lol probably so. But I gave the source anyway.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: tribar on July 06, 2016, 06:22:04 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on July 06, 2016, 06:00:32 PM

I don't think that's what the poster was referring to.  He was referring to the delays with the construction work, not traffic delays.

Correct, I meant construction delays. If I was looking for traffic delays, I can use Google Maps for that! Thanks anyway. That said, I finally drove the entire Western segment to Rockford, and it is amazing how improved it is. Also amazing is how much busy it seemed even with the extra lane. I still wonder how traffic moved at all before the extra lane! Just a question, and if this was answered before, let me know, but I assume the reason the IL Route 23 overpass hasn't been upgraded yet is because they're planning to add an interchange within the next year or two, correct?

I-39

Quote from: ChiMilNet on July 06, 2016, 09:53:54 PM
Just a question, and if this was answered before, let me know, but I assume the reason the IL Route 23 overpass hasn't been upgraded yet is because they're planning to add an interchange within the next year or two, correct?

Yes, the IL-23 overpass will be replaced next year with a wider structure for future ramps. I'm not sure if the ramps will be constructed at the same time (as of today, there is no contract in the schedule to construct ramps at the IL-23 overpass). I've heard from some sources they will construct the full interchange, but I'm not 100% sure.

hobsini2

Quote from: I-39 on July 07, 2016, 11:34:47 AM
Just a question, and if this was answered before, let me know, but I assume the reason the IL Route 23 overpass hasn't been upgraded yet is because they're planning to add an interchange within the next year or two, correct?

Yes, the IL-23 overpass will be replaced next year with a wider structure for future ramps. I'm not sure if the ramps will be constructed at the same time (as of today, there is no contract in the schedule to construct ramps at the IL-23 overpass). I've heard from some sources they will construct the full interchange, but I'm not 100% sure.

I always thought that 23 should have had an interchange years ago.

quickshade

Quote from: I-39 on July 07, 2016, 11:34:47 AM

The interchange is in the five year plan for the county. They are still trying to get things squared away to build it all at the same time but are still working on funding and finalizing the engineering specs. I would guess that if it doesn't happen next year with the rebuild it will happen in 2018.

SSOWorld

Correct, I meant construction delays. If I was looking for traffic delays, I can use Google Maps for that! Thanks anyway. That said, I finally drove the entire Western segment to Rockford, and it is amazing how improved it is. Also amazing is how much busy it seemed even with the extra lane. I still wonder how traffic moved at all before the extra lane! Just a question, and if this was answered before, let me know, but I assume the reason the IL Route 23 overpass hasn't been upgraded yet is because they're planning to add an interchange within the next year or two, correct?
Still a 65 zone right?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 07, 2016, 07:19:15 PM
Still a 65 zone right?

Yep, still posted at 65. Makes no sense as the speed limit goes UP once you're in Rockford. This easily should be 70. I'm also hoping the section East of Elgin is put up to 65 at least to I-290/IL 53.

dave069

Quote from: ChiMilNet on July 07, 2016, 08:04:55 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on July 07, 2016, 07:19:15 PM
Still a 65 zone right?

Yep, still posted at 65. Makes no sense as the speed limit goes UP once you're in Rockford. This easily should be 70. I'm also hoping the section East of Elgin is put up to 65 at least to I-290/IL 53.

They did say they were going to make the western segment of 90 a 70 zone some time this summer. But knowing how the tollway operates I wouldn't be surprised if it was still a 65 by Labor Day.

bahnburner

Quote from: quickshade on June 16, 2016, 09:24:37 AM
http://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/10157/89286747-7bf8-4f19-b377-1eff052d8356

Looks like the smart road installation will begin next week. The whole system should be finished with general construction this fall, and after testing it should come online in early 2017.

Came across this video uploaded from 2014 on the Illinois Tollway youtube channel showing a computer rendering of ATM on I-90 :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CLa0GppwAA

quickshade

Drove 90 this weekend. Lots of progress being made. The bridge of 31 got the concrete deck poured and the fox river bridge looks almost done besides the approach areas, and the river trail bridge is being  put in. Most of the areas have the base subsurface down, but there is still an area between Barrington road and the 290/53 interchange that needs work. Several sections have both inner lanes poured and are working on the divider and shoulders. Although I did notice one of the new outer sections has sunk and created a dip in the pavement, Which means the whole section will need to be ripped up and replaced.

The Barrington road interchange looks behind, none of the new ramps have been poured besides a partial section at the i90 west exit. I'm starting to wonder if this will be finished. The exit from i90 east to 290 is under construction at the toll booth. Most of the work looks like drainage work but I'm wondering if they are expanding the lanes after the tollbooth to two lanes merging onto 53/290 local so that it does not back up anymore. It looks like they are from what I saw driving through there but I don't see any documentation on it.

Overall a lot of the work looks to be finished by the fall but I'm starting to think the whole project won't be finished and that some sections will need more work come spring.

Revive 755

Quote from: quickshade on August 07, 2016, 10:26:07 AM
The Barrington road interchange looks behind, none of the new ramps have been poured besides a partial section at the i90 west exit. I'm starting to wonder if this will be finished. The exit from i90 east to 290 is under construction at the toll booth. Most of the work looks like drainage work but I'm wondering if they are expanding the lanes after the tollbooth to two lanes merging onto 53/290 local so that it does not back up anymore. It looks like they are from what I saw driving through there but I don't see any documentation on it.

I cannot recall the source, but I certainly believe the ramp from EB I-90 to EB I-290 is unfortunately staying almost exactly the same as it was prior to construction.  I think part of the reason for not widening the ramp to be completely two lanes is the issue with dropping the second ramp lane - it would probably require modifications to the C-D roadway for EB I-290, and getting into needing FHWA approval.  One of the improvements that should have been made IMHO would have been to redo the tolling along that stretch of I-90, and remove the toll plaza from that ramp and the ramp from EB I-90 to NB IL 53.  Since the entrances to EB I-90 from Roselle Road and Barrington Road are going to be tolled, this would have only required adding toll plazas to the entrances from Beverly Road and IL 59.

Quote from: quickshade on August 07, 2016, 10:26:07 AMOverall a lot of the work looks to be finished by the fall but I'm starting to think the whole project won't be finished and that some sections will need more work come spring.

I think, assuming we don't get a lot of rainy weather, the contractors will at least get all of the mainline pavement down and opened with temporary striping for the winter, but they will be back putting down permanent striping and final clean up in the spring.  The new ramps at Meacham will probably be opened (I would guess shortly before Thanksgiving) and the new EB exit to Roselle will probably be opened before the end of the year.  I would agree that completion of the Barrington Road interchange before the end of the year is questionable, and I also have some questions if the Elmhurst Road DDI will make it as well (but would put more faith in the Elmhurst DDI opening before the Barrington SPUI).

I-39

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 07, 2016, 09:24:31 PM

I cannot recall the source, but I certainly believe the ramp from EB I-90 to EB I-290 is unfortunately staying almost exactly the same as it was prior to construction.  I think part of the reason for not widening the ramp to be completely two lanes is the issue with dropping the second ramp lane - it would probably require modifications to the C-D roadway for EB I-290, and getting into needing FHWA approval.  One of the improvements that should have been made IMHO would have been to redo the tolling along that stretch of I-90, and remove the toll plaza from that ramp and the ramp from EB I-90 to NB IL 53.  Since the entrances to EB I-90 from Roselle Road and Barrington Road are going to be tolled, this would have only required adding toll plazas to the entrances from Beverly Road and IL 59.

I was thinking the same thing. IMO, no Interstate to Interstate (or freeway to freeway) interchange should have toll plazas, it just slows down traffic.

I really don't understand what the thinking is behind the I-90/I-290/IL-53 system interchange. I understand since I-290/IL-53 is a free road, any improvements would require FHWA approval, but they were planning on addressing it a decade ago in the proposed Congestion-Relief Program II (along with the I-294/I-57 interchange). However, when Move Illinois came along, it wasn't included. Additionally, it looks like that the new Meacham Road bridge was not constructed with future improvements to the interchange in mind, since the bridges (including the new one for the ramp NB I-290/SB IL-53 to WB I-90) don't seem to be wide enough to accommodate future widening that will be needed when free flow ramps are constructed.

You can rebuild and add all the lanes on I-90 you want, but there is still going to be congestion at the I-90/I-290/IL-53 system interchange because it's not a proper design for the amount of traffic it carries. It will have to be addressed at some point, probably in the not too distant future, and the longer they wait, the more $$$ it will cost.   

Quote from: quickshade on August 07, 2016, 10:26:07 AMOverall a lot of the work looks to be finished by the fall but I'm starting to think the whole project won't be finished and that some sections will need more work come spring.

I think, assuming we don't get a lot of rainy weather, the contractors will at least get all of the mainline pavement down and opened with temporary striping for the winter, but they will be back putting down permanent striping and final clean up in the spring.  The new ramps at Meacham will probably be opened (I would guess shortly before Thanksgiving) and the new EB exit to Roselle will probably be opened before the end of the year.  I would agree that completion of the Barrington Road interchange before the end of the year is questionable, and I also have some questions if the Elmhurst Road DDI will make it as well (but would put more faith in the Elmhurst DDI opening before the Barrington SPUI).
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure the Elmhurst DDI will be done, it doesn't appear they have much more to do. The WB entrance ramp at Roselle (via Central Road) wasn't going to be built until next year anyway. It appears significant portions of the mainline pavement are close to being done now. The only thing I think that will carry over into next year (that wasn't already planned) will be the Barrington Road SPUI (which is progressing at an absolute snail's pace for whatever reason).

quickshade

I'm wondering if the amount of concrete usage on the project dictates priority pours for the day/week/month. If this would be true I'm sure mainline pouring and rebuilding existing ramps would be more important than new ramps. This would explain the Barrington road exits and Meachan road exit for I90 west not seeing any action for the past month or so.

As for the 290 stuff, one of the things I noticed is that the exit ramp to get onto 290 is much longer and the entrance ramp for 53 north onto 90 west is now much longer before merging onto mainline 90. That coupled with the new exit will reduce traffic slightly getting off onto 53 south. So it seems to me like the state IDOT didn't want to cough up any money to rebuild the interchange so they (Illinois tollway) designed it so that mainline 90 is not affected as much by the traffic at the interchange. Overall it sucks that it's a band aid on a majorly needed project but you can only do so much without help from the agency that controls the interchange.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: I-39 on August 07, 2016, 09:52:41 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on August 07, 2016, 09:24:31 PM

I was thinking the same thing. IMO, no Interstate to Interstate (or freeway to freeway) interchange should have toll plazas, it just slows down traffic.

I really don't understand what the thinking is behind the I-90/I-290/IL-53 system interchange. I understand since I-290/IL-53 is a free road, any improvements would require FHWA approval, but they were planning on addressing it a decade ago in the proposed Congestion-Relief Program II (along with the I-294/I-57 interchange). However, when Move Illinois came along, it wasn't included. Additionally, it looks like that the new Meacham Road bridge was not constructed with future improvements to the interchange in mind, since the bridges (including the new one for the ramp NB I-290/SB IL-53 to WB I-90) don't seem to be wide enough to accommodate future widening that will be needed when free flow ramps are constructed.

You can rebuild and add all the lanes on I-90 you want, but there is still going to be congestion at the I-90/I-290/IL-53 system interchange because it's not a proper design for the amount of traffic it carries. It will have to be addressed at some point, probably in the not too distant future, and the longer they wait, the more $$$ it will cost.   

I'm pretty sure the Elmhurst DDI will be done, it doesn't appear they have much more to do. The WB entrance ramp at Roselle (via Central Road) wasn't going to be built until next year anyway. It appears significant portions of the mainline pavement are close to being done now. The only thing I think that will carry over into next year (that wasn't already planned) will be the Barrington Road SPUI (which is progressing at an absolute snail's pace for whatever reason).
[/quote]

Just saw the attached article, and it looks like the Elmhurst Road interchange is on pace to be opened in December.

http://www.journal-topics.com/news/article_23c5b334-5d80-11e6-ae37-e312f487ef40.html

ET21

I'm sure it was mentioned earlier here (too tired to find the exact post), but do you guys think they'll build a beginning portion of the eventual I-490 interchange or at least set up the land to accommodate the eventual ramp structures? I just find it redundant to build a brand new highway just to tear it up again in a couple years to build the I-90/490 interchange.

Then again it's Illinois so I won't hold my breath... :-|
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Brandon

Quote from: ET21 on August 11, 2016, 11:35:56 PM
I'm sure it was mentioned earlier here (too tired to find the exact post), but do you guys think they'll build a beginning portion of the eventual I-490 interchange or at least set up the land to accommodate the eventual ramp structures? I just find it redundant to build a brand new highway just to tear it up again in a couple years to build the I-90/490 interchange.

Being ISTHA, I suspect it will be built.  If it were IDOT, I wouldn't hold my breath for anything.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Brandon on August 12, 2016, 06:27:44 AM

Being ISTHA, I suspect it will be built.  If it were IDOT, I wouldn't hold my breath for anything.

I'm not too sure how much they're going to be able to do at the moment. The Des Plaines Oasis basically sits right where the new interchange will go. I think the plan is a multi-part process. Fiest, which is now done, was to tear down the over-the-highway structure, but leave the gas stations in each direction. I do believe that the gas stations will be torn out when construction on the actual interchange begins. I'd have to go find the notes or post, but I'm pretty sure this is the plan.

I-39

Quote from: ChiMilNet on August 12, 2016, 06:04:01 PM

I'm not too sure how much they're going to be able to do at the moment. The Des Plaines Oasis basically sits right where the new interchange will go. I think the plan is a multi-part process. Fiest, which is now done, was to tear down the over-the-highway structure, but leave the gas stations in each direction. I do believe that the gas stations will be torn out when construction on the actual interchange begins. I'd have to go find the notes or post, but I'm pretty sure this is the plan.

Yes, the gas stations will go when the O'Hare West Bypass is built, but the interchange with I-90 will be one of the last things done, IIRC.

Not really sure why they aren't building the West Bypass first, it would have made more sense to do so so IL-390 doesn't dead end into another arterial.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: I-39 on August 12, 2016, 07:34:14 PM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on August 12, 2016, 06:04:01 PM

Yes, the gas stations will go when the O'Hare West Bypass is built, but the interchange with I-90 will be one of the last things done, IIRC.

Not really sure why they aren't building the West Bypass first, it would have made more sense to do so so IL-390 doesn't dead end into another arterial.
Well the non build of the west terminal may of changed time tables.

Revive 755

Quote from: I-39 on August 12, 2016, 07:34:14 PM

IL 390 will be ending at IL 83 for a little while, which is a major six lane arterial of higher quality than Thorndale or US 20.  There's probably also some factor based on the traffic IL 390 would feed into the West Bypass.  Without IL 390, the West Bypass is pretty much a pricier pair of ramps between I-294 and I-90 that is already competing with a free I-290.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.