Cities with major streets named for states other than the state the city is in

Started by KCRoadFan, June 25, 2023, 03:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

US 13 in southern Suffolk, VA is named Carolina Road, and it heads to the NC border.

Technically Washington Street in Petersburg, VA shares its name with the state, since both are named after George Washington.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 25, 2023, 10:35:01 PM
Not sure about Chicago's Michigan Ave being named after the Lake and not the State. On the South side, S Indiana Ave is a block east of S Michigan Ave

I've always thought that Michigan Avenue was named for the lake, if only because on its "Magnificent Mile" stretch, it intersects a series of streets named for the other four Great Lakes (Ontario, Erie, Huron, and Superior, from south to north).

The Nature Boy

Quote from: KCRoadFan on July 16, 2023, 10:30:00 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on June 25, 2023, 10:35:01 PM
Not sure about Chicago's Michigan Ave being named after the Lake and not the State. On the South side, S Indiana Ave is a block east of S Michigan Ave

I've always thought that Michigan Avenue was named for the lake, if only because on its "Magnificent Mile" stretch, it intersects a series of streets named for the other four Great Lakes (Ontario, Erie, Huron, and Superior, from south to north).

Michigan Ave was also first built along where Grant Park is now and was extended to the Southside. It's more likely that Indiana Ave was named in order to create a pattern with Michigan Ave, which was originally named after the lake but could be ambiguous.

roadman65

Although Canada is not a US state, Lake George Village, NY has its main thoroughfare named " Canada Street."

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

debragga

In North Louisiana:

Texas Ave/Texas St/E Texas St in Shreveport and Bossier City
Texas Ave in Monroe

roadman65

Mt. Rainer, MD has Rhode Island Avenue.  Continuation of Washington, DC's themed street name on US 1.

Sheryl Crowe

mgk920

Chicago also has a major street  named California Av, Milwaukee, WI has a major street named Michigan Ave.

Mike

1995hoo

The District of Columbia not only has the well-known state-named streets, it also has one territory-named one: Puerto Rico Avenue, NE, which runs along the east side of the train tracks near Catholic University. I have no idea why Puerto Rico gets one but the other inhabited territories don't.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 17, 2023, 03:47:08 PM
The District of Columbia not only has the well-known state-named streets, it also has one territory-named one: Puerto Rico Avenue, NE, which runs along the east side of the train tracks near Catholic University. I have no idea why Puerto Rico gets one but the other inhabited territories don't.

There's also Quebec Street NW and Ontario Road NW.

They're not "avenues" but it still interesting to see Canadian provinces represented.

JustDrive

Los Angeles has Vermont Ave
Glendale and Pasadena have Colorado Blvd
Santa Monica has Colorado, Montana, and Arizona Aves
Altadena has New York Dr
Hemet has Florida Ave
Redlands has Alabama and Tennessee Sts
Modesto has Kansas Ave
Las Vegas has Maryland Pkwy
Palo Alto has Oregon Expwy
Beaumont has Pennsylvania Ave
San Diego has a bunch, with the steep Texas St being pretty notable
Twentynine Palms has Utah Trail

MATraveler128

Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

roadman65

Politics is why. Being the residents of Puerto Rico are considered a minority in the political realm. 

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on July 18, 2023, 09:45:39 PM

Politics is why. Being the residents of Puerto Rico are considered a minority in the political realm.

Wut?

Puerto Ricans are also American citizens, which cannot be said for some of the other territories (e.g., American Samoa, rather infamously).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Big John

Quote from: Rothman on July 18, 2023, 10:56:04 PM

Quote from: roadman65 on July 18, 2023, 09:45:39 PM

Wut?

Puerto Ricans are also American citizens, which cannot be said for some of the other territories (e.g., American Samoa, rather infamously).
I had to look through and apparently congress granted through different acts US citizenship for all territories except American Samoa.

Konza

Quote from: hbelkins on June 26, 2023, 11:32:36 PM
Lawrence, Kan., has a bunch of state-named streets.

The north-south streets in much of the original part of Lawrence are named for the states in the order in which they were admitted to the Union.

Iowa Street is mentioned in another post, and it is the main north-south street on the west side of the city, but, as Lawrence was founded by anti-slavery New Englanders, it is no accident that the Main Street in Lawrence's downtown is named Massachusetts Street.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.