News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Should Connecticut sign its secondary routes?

Started by Streetman, August 05, 2023, 06:46:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Streetman

The other day a variable message board on US-1 in Milford CT announced a delay on Route 796. I was puzzled for a moment until I remembered that's the secondary route number of the Milford Parkway from I-95 to CT-15 / Wilbur Cross Pkwy. It got me thinking that it might be helpful to motorists for the state to sign its secondary routes, perhaps with a modified county route sign like my avatar. Has any other state undertaken a program to sign its previously "secret" routes, and what kind of signs did they use? I mean all or a large number of such routes, not an occasional one here and there.

Big John

dgolub

On its official state maps, Connecticut shows the unsigned routes with ovals instead of squares/rectangles.  This would be consistent with what West Virginia does with its state-maintained county routes.

Streetman

Quote from: Big John on August 05, 2023, 06:49:38 AM
Shouldn't this be posted here instead?  https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=1898.0
Thought about that but wanted to get perspective on what other states have done.

Bitmapped

Quote from: dgolub on August 05, 2023, 07:48:43 AM
On its official state maps, Connecticut shows the unsigned routes with ovals instead of squares/rectangles.  This would be consistent with what West Virginia does with its state-maintained county routes.

WV does sign its county routes as part of street name signage.

jp the roadgeek

A couple of LGS overpass signs have also revealed SSR's and SR's.  The Spencer St overpass of I-384 in Manchester has a CT 502 sign, plus the West St overpass of I-91 in Rocky Hill has a CT 411 sign.  Years ago, CTDOT signed the westbound Newtown Rd overpass of I-84 as SR 911 on the bridge itself (which is still there) but put Newtown Rd on the replacement LGS. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

corco

Many of them are effectively ramps with little  independent navigational purpose - what I think they should do is upgrade any of them which are more than a mile long or a freeway to full route status and sign them and leave the rest unsigned.

kurumi

In general, no; the numbers have value for inventory purposes but would add clutter to navigation.

Examples:
* all the tiny connecting roads from one signed route (or interchange ramp) to another
* roads like Silver Lane where most traffic is local, going to a house or business whose address is going to be "Silver Lane", not "SR 502"

The state did promote a few connecting routes to signed in the 1980s (319, 244, 234, 349) but then stopped.

I would promote a few more, but under certain criteria:
* connect two towns or areas where there is not already a direct connection
* has one or more interchanges of its own (not just the termini)

These could include: 796, 571, 695; 603, 476

(EDIT: basically what corco said as well)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Streetman

Quote from: kurumi on August 05, 2023, 12:36:22 PM
In general, no; the numbers have value for inventory purposes but would add clutter to navigation.

Examples:
* all the tiny connecting roads from one signed route (or interchange ramp) to another
* roads like Silver Lane where most traffic is local, going to a house or business whose address is going to be "Silver Lane", not "SR 502"

The state did promote a few connecting routes to signed in the 1980s (319, 244, 234, 349) but then stopped.

I would promote a few more, but under certain criteria:
* connect two towns or areas where there is not already a direct connection
* has one or more interchanges of its own (not just the termini)

These could include: 796, 571, 695; 603, 476

(EDIT: basically what corco said as well)
Agreed, not the long ramps, but there are probably a few dozen that could be useful.

Quillz

I'm a bit mixed, because I'm generally somewhat black-and-white when it comes to signage. I generally say either sign everything, or sign nothing. Signing some county/secondary highways is when you get really arbitrary.

Duke87

Connecticut does not have secondary routes, the correct term for them is "state service roads" (400s) or just "state roads" (500s-900s)

And anyway no, the entire point of this separate system is for inventorying of routes that don't justify signage. Sure, there are a few that maybe could justify such, but in that case it needs to be given a number under 400. Of which there are plenty available, so there's room for promotions.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

epzik8

If not, they need to instead not post internal information on VMS.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.