News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Illinois notes
Last post by SEWIGuy - Today at 08:00:47 AM
Quote from: vdeane on March 28, 2024, 09:51:52 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 28, 2024, 01:14:29 PMSticker transponders are free in Illinois. Just order one for each car and link it in your account. Not hard.
Transponders are free in NY too (even though we use hard case) with automatic replenishment.  The rationale my parents had basically boiled down to "why should we get two if we don't need two?".

I don't think toll agencies should set their policies based on thoughts similar to your parents.
Traffic Control / Re: Division route number game
Last post by 74/171FAN - Today at 08:00:18 AM
369 = 369 / 1 (OH 4 NB 1 mile south of OH 369 in Springfield, OH)(https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10218773819897097&set=a.10218773861658141)

Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Wisconsin notes
Last post by SEWIGuy - Today at 07:56:09 AM
Quote from: Molandfreak on March 28, 2024, 10:04:11 PMWould there be a way to retain the trail alongside the new rail system, or would the ROW required for that be prohibitively expensive?

Maybe? But this isn't going to happen so it's all just a thought experiment.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by Rothman - Today at 07:39:03 AM
There's good reason why trusses are totally avoided nowadays.  One member fails, the bridge goes down.

I recently posted in a thread somewhere about the issue with gusset plates and possible future asinine decisions by my state's historical preservation office to require them over even gussetless trusses.
Off-Topic / Re: Frustrated visitors sue Na...
Last post by kalvado - Today at 06:56:24 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on Today at 06:29:25 AM$1s are still going to be the most-used, though, because they're the only bill that has a quasi-legitimate reason to have 4 in the same transaction. (This assumes you're like 99% of the population that pretends $2 bills don't exist, of course.)
You never bought a car for cash, do you?
Off-Topic / Re: Frustrated visitors sue Na...
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 06:29:25 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on Today at 03:44:45 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on Today at 02:10:35 AM
Quote from: ZLoth on March 28, 2024, 10:45:34 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 26, 2024, 04:04:21 PMRegarding currency reform more generally, I like the idea of getting rid of the $1 bill, though I can't help but wonder how much of an obstacle the vending machine industry presents, given how much they invested in installing those dollar-bill acceptors. I'm not sure I've ever encountered a vending machine that accepts $2s, though certainly I've encountered some that accept $5s.

I'm kinda surprised at the life span of a $1 bill per https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/how-long-is-the-life-span-of-us-paper-money.htm . I thought it would be measured in months rather than 6.6 years. Having said that, while coins are more expensive than bills to produce, they also last much longer (30 years and longer).

The lifespan of a $1 bill was months back in the 90s, but two things happened:
1) people use less cash now, so it wears out less quickly, and
2) Someone at the Fed realized that the scanners that they use to detect when bills are damaged were sending all bills that were fed into the machine upside down to the shred pile, since they only had the good bill image to compare to in one orientation. Oops!

And even when cash is used, $1 ain't gonna be used for much more than just making-up the amount the larger bills don't already cover and/or vending machines.

$1s are still going to be the most-used, though, because they're the only bill that has a quasi-legitimate reason to have 4 in the same transaction. (This assumes you're like 99% of the population that pretends $2 bills don't exist, of course.)
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by Big John - Today at 05:17:41 AM
Quote from: SSOWorld on Today at 04:48:32 AMdon't worry, for you won't be wasting it anymore.
Not KT wasting most of it as it just doesn't sell before it spoils.
Northwest / Re: Oregon
Last post by Bruce - Today at 04:53:02 AM
Off-Topic / Re: Changing one letter of a t...
Last post by SSOWorld - Today at 04:52:23 AM
Quote from: jlam on Today at 12:50:58 AMNE2 features - Characteristics of user NE2
💩
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by SSOWorld - Today at 04:48:32 AM
don't worry, for you won't be wasting it anymore.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.