News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"The Turnpike" (comedy)

Started by TheGrassGuy, December 23, 2019, 06:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGrassGuy

"Daddy, what exit on the turnpike is NJ 3 West?"
"16W, 16E, and 17."
"How come there are three exits for NJ 3 West? There's only one for NJ 18!"
"Oh, that's because it's more busy up there in Secaucus than down here in New Brunswick."
"But why are there three different exit numbers on the turnpike in the same place for the same route number?"
"You see, it's because up in Secaucus, the turnpike has a western spur and an eastern spur. The ones on the western spur have W, and the ones on the eastern spur have E."
"Oh, I see! Which one is for cars only?"
"They're both for all vehicles."
"Which one is the express, and which one is the local?"
"They're both local."
"Hmm... I don't get it, daddy. How come the turnpike splits into two?"
"I told you. It's because there's a lot of traffic on the turnpike in Secaucus."
"So you need two spurs to handle a lot of traffic?"
"That's one way of doing it."
"But why are there three exit numbers? Shouldn't there only be two, one for each spur?"
"16E and 17 are actually the same exit. It just has a different number depending on whether you're going north or south."
"But how come you can take exit 16E to go west? Shouldn't that only be for NJ 3 west?"
"Not necessarily. Exit 16E is for both directions of NJ 3, and NJ 495."
"But how come it's exit 17, and not exit 17E?"
"Umm, there's no exit 17W. That's why."
"Hmm, that's strange. I swear I saw 15W AND 15E on our way home last night."
"Don't be silly, son. I'm sure you were just imagining things. You ever heard of the Mandela effect?"
"And what about exit 15X? That's on the eastern spur, right? But X comes after W, not E; shouldn't it be exit 15F instead? Or just 15A?"
"Umm, it's magic. The highway genies at work again."
"The same reason we drive on the parkway and park on the driveway, eh? Got it."
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

KEVIN_224

Not everybody will get that, but I did! :D

Be glad they weren't talking about the Somerset Freeway!

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on December 23, 2019, 09:07:47 PM

If the Somerset Freeway existed, I-287 south of about exit 4 or 5 would be I-95. And the exit numbers would all be screwed up; exit 41A-B (with I-80) would be exit 37A-B. And there would also be a little connector at exit 7 or 8 called I-895. And maybe the turnpike north of exit 10 would have to be given new mileage-based exits. Who knows how they would have numbered the exits after the split at exit 14?

Thank goodness the original proposal never ended up coming to fruition; NOT IN MY BACKYARD!!!

NE2

They're toll plaza numbers. Suck it.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jeffandnicole

You mean a kid looked up from his tablet long enough to notice there was something outside the windows of the car?

Alps

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on December 23, 2019, 09:22:47 PM

If the Somerset Freeway existed, I-287 south of about exit 4 or 5 would be I-95. And the exit numbers would all be screwed up; exit 41A-B (with I-80) would be exit 37A-B. And there would also be a little connector at exit 7 or 8 called I-895. And maybe the turnpike north of exit 10 would have to be given new mileage-based exits. Who knows how they would have numbered the exits after the split at exit 14?

Thank goodness the original proposal never ended up coming to fruition; NOT IN MY BACKYARD!!!
You're a peculiar troll.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: Alps on December 24, 2019, 12:42:24 AM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on December 23, 2019, 09:22:47 PM

You're a peculiar troll.
How so?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.